Which 9mm Kahr?

Which 9mm Kahr?

This is a discussion on Which 9mm Kahr? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have toyed with the idea of buying a 9mm Kahr for a carry piece but have heard some good and some bad about them. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which 9mm Kahr?

Which 9mm Kahr?

I have toyed with the idea of buying a 9mm Kahr for a carry piece but have heard some good and some bad about them. I am not looking for utopia but what is the most reliable 9mm that Kahr produces? Thanks in advance for any input or thoughts.

RTK

For my smaller gun needs I carry an "all metal" Kahr 9mm Micro Model MK9. Same gun as the full size all metal Kahr K9, except the barrel and the grip are both 1/2" shorter. I prefer the all metal heavier MK9 instead of the lighter metal and plastic PM9.
    Sometimes I carry in right front pocket using a pocket holster from High Noon Holsters. Sometimes I carry OWB using a DeSantis open top belt slide holster. This MK9 is generally my around the house gun, or when I want to or have to really deep conceal.
    Otherwise I carry a .45 acp Smith Wesson 4516-2.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I bought the PM9 a couple of years ago and it has performed well. I bought it primarily for a lighter easier to conceal weapon. With the hot Texas summers conceal carry can be an issue. But with the PM9 I have found that I can conceal very easily while wearing shorts/tshirt.

I am not the biggest fan of DAO, but with some range time I have become proficient with it. With all that said, its a reliable weapon that is very easy to conceal.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I personally carry a P9 because of its light weight and grip I could get my entire hand on. I think from a concealment standpoint, the P9 Covert (same slide, shorter PM9 grip) would be a better choice. The "full size" slide models seem much more reliable than the shorter slides (PM, MK). Also, the polymer frames sometimes have a few more problems than the steel frames. So overall, I would say a K9 (full size, steel frame) would be the most reliable. It will also be the heaviest, and harder to conceal than the compact models.

I like the models with standard length slide/barrel. I consider the K9/K40 and P9/P40 to be standard length Kahrs.
    I'll tell you why, but want to make it clear that Kahr may have made a change or two that negates that.

My first Kahr was an MK9 (slightly shorter slide and barrel, and grip, than standard). It would have an occaisional feed problem where the slide would fail to close completely. It might happen once or twice per 100 rds- but too much for a carry gun.
    When operating the slide by hand, there was noticeably less spring pressure in the last bit of forward slide travel. Other MK9s I checked felt the same.
    After checking around, I heard of other MK9 owners having the same feed problem.

I blamed it on the MK9's dual recoil spring system because both springs did not seem to exert pressure throughout the slide's travel. One spring quit exerting force at the same point the slide stopped when it failed to close. I think that if both springs had worked over the entire slide travel, it would have functioned OK.
    Or if it had used a single spring system that worked over the full travel.

I decided that if I tried Kahr again, it would be a model with a single recoil spring like the standard length slides used.
    I got a PM9 Covert, which has the short, MK9-size grip, but the standard K9-size barrel/slide. It's worked fine, and the recoil spring exerts force throughout the slide's travel.

I have heard that Kahr has done something to correct the problem I had with my MK9, but can't know for certain.

But I will stay with a model with a standard-length slide/barrel anyway.

I have the K-9 and have never had any trouble with it. It seems to just disappear when I am wearing it and since it is stainless...no corossion problems. I have fired the P-9 at the range but didn't like it as much.
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

I have a TP9 and just love it!

I have a K9 and no problems daily carry gun and training gun also.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    I absolutely LOVE my K9. I have the older nickel model. Yes, it is heavy for it's size, but it makes it a pleasure to shoot, even with +P rounds. It is so flat and compact that I can easily wear it under a loose fitting t-shirt using an OWB holster, which is great in the MS heat and humidity. It is just as accurate as my Sig P225 or P228, especially with 124-grain GS. All in all, one of my very favorite carry pistols.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Another vote for the PM9 here....Love mine!!!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

i have the cw9 and love it. both accurate and very easy to conceal. highly recommend it. =O)

I've got the CW9 and also highly recommend it, but also recommend the P9. If you want night sights, the CW9 doesn't have a front dovetail. Not sure if I'll be able to get night sights on mine or not. Haven't looked into it yet.

I also recommend the CW9. It is cheaper than most Kahrs and I found out they shoot a tad low but for saving a couple of hundred dollars it is easy enough to compensate for.
    May God Bless the United States of America and our troops in harms way.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I own a TP-9 and love the weapon, but do not like the lack of availability of holsters as compared to the other models. But I have to admit, my next one will likely be a P-45.

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I had problems with my pm9 and went another direction. The size and carry of the pm9 is great, the quality is not as good as a $599 gun should be IMO. I love the Glock26 that I went with, but it does not carry as easy.

I would pay $899 for a pm9 if it were as reliabel and smooth as the Glock 26

J.S.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links