Glock 23 Recoil?

Glock 23 Recoil?

This is a discussion on Glock 23 Recoil? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering on getting a glock 23 g4 barely used. it was bought in march and the person selling says that he din not ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By yz9890

Thread: Glock 23 Recoil?

Glock 23 Recoil?

I am considering on getting a glock 23 g4 barely used. it was bought in march and the person selling says that he din not like the recoil at all? how bad is the recoil? I have shot a glock 22 gen 3 and its nothing to me. obviously theres a huge difference in size but still how much worse could it be? this will be my first glock. I like the 23, i think its a good size. Is the recoil spring problems in g4's an issue with the 23? it was bought in march? what does a new (fixed) recoil spring look like.

Thank You
    Paul

MyGen 4 G23 was my first pistol, and I don't think the recoil is bad at all. It is difficult to say how you will perceive it because it really is subjective. I am not sure if the recoil spring in mine was replaced but it is a dual coil spring. I have never had an issue with mine, and I have put about 1500 rounds through it since I got it in Nov. I agree that the 23 is perfect for CCW, if you are looking for a Glock I think you will be pleased with the G23. I am looking at a G27 for my next pistol. Something a little smaller for those shorts and T-shirt days in the summer.

it is hard to percieve it i agree. thank u for your support !

I find the recoil on my Glock 23 to be very manageable, it's really no big deal.

All guns recoil: some more them others. I had a 30-06 and I though the recoil was harder than my 30-30 until I got a 45-70. Recoil needs to be managed and not fought; if you are used to a 9mm then recoil on a .40 cal is a bit more but less than a 10mm but all are manageable. Me; I love mine but if you want power you except the recoil

Quote Originally Posted by paulb787 View Post
    I have shot a glock 22 gen 3 and its nothing to me. obviously theres a huge difference in size but still how much worse could it be?
    the G22 is 3/4" longer, less than 1/2" taller, less than 2oz heavier, same width, with a 1/2" longer barrel than the G23. I can't hardly tell the difference between them when I shoot one after the other. the G23 is a great gun. recoil is a subjective thing but I don't notice it much in the G23 at all. very easy to shoot accurately and quickly.
    goldshellback likes this.

If your G22 is managable in your hand, then it's easy days with 23. You will have NO issues with a 23's 'kick'.

As for the g4's spring, I'm not too knowledgable there. I haven't 'heard' of any problems but the best advice is to discuss with the seller what issues he's had, shoot a few hundred rounds yourself through it, and make a determination from there.

If there are no problems, easy days. If you do need, or feel you need, to replace that spring, piece o' cake.....I'd recommend Lone Wolf. Easy days!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I wonder what bullet weight he was using, and who knows how he was holding his pistol when firing it.
    --Jason--

I owned a glock 23 for a while. I didn't find the recoil "bad" or "uncomfortable". I shot it well. I ended up selling it though because at the end of the day I still didn't shoot it as well as 9mm.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Recoils not much,if any different than a G22,I carry a Gen 3 23,and 2 G27's,love 'em.But if it is a Gen 4,make sure it has the 28926 ejector,or you'll be getting flying brass to the forehead,and sending it to Glock for the upgrade.Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Recoils not much,if any different than a G22,I carry a Gen 3 23,and 2 G27's,love 'em.But if it is a Gen 4,make sure it has the 28926 ejector,or you'll be getting flying brass to the forehead,and sending it to Glock for the upgrade.Good Luck.
    Why would you have to send it to Georgia for an upgrade? It's an easy part to swap out yourself.

I've owned the glock 23 rtf for a few yrs now..carry it every day....it's a little snappier than say my .45acp 1911a1 combat commander...but I can empty out the mag as quick as I can pull the trigger and still hold target....so...I'd say go for it.

Steve

I received a Glock gen3 23 for Christmas from my wife. I carry it daily and have put about 1200 rds thru it. It shoots very well and recoil quite manageable I feel....I use .40 S&W Federal HST JHP 180 Grain white box and not one ftf
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    What's the deal with the 28926 ejector? Mine doesn't have it, but I haven't noticed any problems. Regarding the spring issue, it has been resolved. Just make sure it has one rod with two springs. If it has TWO rods, those were the ones they had problems with. No worries though, you can send it in and they'll replace it with the new one rod/two spring system. Regarding recoil, I was used to shooting a 30SF (.45), which I was able to handle quite well. The G23 has a very different kind of recoil that I'm still getting used to. However, I really only had problems the first time I shot it. By the second time at the range I was much better. Although I'm still not as accurate as I was with the .45s, I'm getting there and I've only shot it a few times. Also, the new spring system is supposed to reduce recoil. Soooo, if you had no problems shooting a gen 3 22, you should have NO problems with a gen 4 23. Hope that helps.
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, Glock 30SF, Colt 1911 GCT (all .45ACP),
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357MAG/.38SP), Judge (.410G/.45LC)

Long guns: Daniel Defense AR-15's (M4V4 and M4V5), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22;LR)

My experience with a Glock 23

I got a Glock 23 about 12 years ago - it was my first .40 caliber gun after many years of shooting 9mm, .45 and magnum revolvers. I remember the first magazine I put through the G23, and thinking that it was certainly more energetic than my 9mm Glock 19. The recoil seemed sharp, but not unpleasant.

Since then I have fired several thousand rounds through the G23 and have bought two additional .40 caliber guns. Now that I am used to this caliber in a polymer gun, the recoil seems quite normal to me.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Links