Ruger LCP + questions? - Page 2

Ruger LCP + questions?

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP + questions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like mine for carrying; hate it for shooting. The trigger pull is obnoxiously long, and takes some getting used to. I had some ammo ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ruger LCP + questions?

I like mine for carrying; hate it for shooting. The trigger pull is obnoxiously long, and takes some getting used to. I had some ammo trouble recently, but I think it was just because I was shooting some cheapo HPs that didn't like to feed (gun might've been a bit dirty too, I can't really remember). I've been carrying mine with the Versa Carry Gen2 and it's easy to forget it's there. Overall, I'd consider it a worthwhile purchase. Can't remember what I paid, but $300 sounds in the ballpark.
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moops View Post
    I like mine for carrying; hate it for shooting. The trigger pull is obnoxiously long, and takes some getting used to. I had some ammo trouble recently, but I think it was just because I was shooting some cheapo HPs that didn't like to feed (gun might've been a bit dirty too, I can't really remember). I've been carrying mine with the Versa Carry Gen2 and it's easy to forget it's there. Overall, I'd consider it a worthwhile purchase. Can't remember what I paid, but $300 sounds in the ballpark.
    Thanks. We don't have a ton of ranges around here so it's not like I would be shooting it a lot, and I have my M&P for that. There are just too many situations where such a big gun isn't the easiest/most comfortable to conceal.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

i believe you can send Bud's a money order or cashiers check to avoid waiting for a personal check to clear and still get the cash price.

I love my LCP but for not much more money (even less in one case) and not much more size, you can find decent single stack 9mm's. even a couple of striker fired choices with great triggers now for not much $$. the same type of long and heavy trigger as the LCP can be found for less money on the KelTec PF9. probably same recoil as well.

either way though. you'll be happy with the little Ruger. there will always be better gun for "just a few dollars more".
    Burns likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    After four years with the LCP I think it is a fine little pistol. As for Buds, no problms there either. Many gun stores I go into charge 3% for paying with a credit card. That is the fee that the credit card compnaies charge them for processing etc.

If you can find a local gun store and pay cash. You will save the 3% surcharge plus you will avoid a FFL transfer fee which can be as high as $30.00 but typically $20-$25. Oh, and you also bypass the shipping fees.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    After four years with the LCP I think it is a fine little pistol. As for Buds, no problms there either. Many gun stores I go into charge 3% for paying with a credit card. That is the fee that the credit card compnaies charge them for processing etc.

If you can find a local gun store and pay cash. You will save the 3% surcharge plus you will avoid a FFL transfer fee which can be as high as $30.00 but typically $20-$25. Oh, and you also bypass the shipping fees.
    OK thanks, I'm going to check out my local stores first to see if they have it.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I have two LCPs, a black one with a Lasermax laser and a chrome slide model with a CT laser. I like them a great deal, though I typically only carry them as backups to something larger. Only carry them as primary when I "can't carry a gun." I like the CT laser a little better than the Lasermax, due to the positioning of the switch. However, the CT is a lot more expensive. I've done business with Bud's, and can't disagree with previous comments in this thread. Good folks, but a bit slow turnaround. At one point a week or two ago, they sold 900 guns in one day, so they are kind of busy. FWIW, I also own a couple of Kel-Tec P3ATs, both of which I've had for awhile. I just never warmed up to them as much as I have the LCPs, I think mostly because the grip on the LCP is much more comfortable to me, and none of these jumpy little buggers is fun to shoot in volume. Also, I think that the extractor design of the LCP is better than it is on the P3AT. I have had a few extraction failures with one of my Kel-Tecs. I have about 250 rounds through each of my LCPs, and neither has ever choked on ball or JHP, in any manner.

I will challenge anyone to bring to bring their LCP to a shoot. You all want apples to apples let’s do; I have a g26 and a Markov

I've looked at quite a few guns today and as far as a BUG/pocket carry pistol, I haven't seen one with better reviews than the LCP. I think this is the one I will be going with.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I will challenge anyone to bring to bring their LCP to a shoot. You all want apples to apples letís do; I have a g26 and a Markov
    Not exactly apples to apples. The G26 is a brick in comparison to the LCP. I don't think anyone is going to say that an LCP is more fun to shoot, but that's not it's major selling point.
    Pkupmn98 likes this.

These are the pocket pistols at my house:

Wife's Ruger LCP Raspberry with LaserMax, my LCP with Crimson Trace, and my Kel-Tec P32 with pocket clip. I carry my LCP as a second gun, and only very rarely as a primary or only gun. It came from Bud's with the LaserMax on it ($341 shipped at the time). When I got a deal on the Crimson Trace the LaserMax went to my wife. I like both systems. The Crimson Trace is good because it comes on instantly with a firing grip. The LaserMax is good because it has to be turned on and therefore isn't always on when holding the gun in a firing grip. Both of those can also be said to be negatives, so YMMV.

The P32 is my around the house carry gun. It is lighter than the LCP by a couple of ounces, holds an extra shot, and works with all the clothes I wear when hanging around the house and/or watching the kids. I have larger guns in lock boxes around the house, but I always have the P32 on me. I don't think there is a huge difference between .32 ACP FMJ and .380 ACP FMJ in terms of stopping power, and I like the reduced recoil and the extra shot of the P32. If Ruger made the LCP in .32 ACP I likely would have selected those rather than the .380.

However, the Ruger fit and finish is much better than the Kel-Tec's, and overall it seems to be made more robustly. I don't think the OP can go wrong with the LCP for what he intends to use it for.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

LCP is the only gun i have carried so nothing to compare to but it is pretty easy to conceal and light enough to carry even when I'm in gym shorts. Mine has never jammed with any of the 3 brands of ammo I've put through it, so for me its been reliable. Personally I am not a fan of the gun because it almost too small. I have pretty big hands(can barely squeeze in most XL yard gloves), and its hard to get a quick draw out of the holster without my hand covering the back side of the slide, or to simply get a solid grip. In the range its easy for me to handle despite barely getting 2 fingers on the handle but i also have really strong hands, but i still don't like shooting it much. I'm currently looking for something larger to carry daily.

Purchased it last night on sale for $299. From my understanding it is not a fun "range gun" to shoot, but then again that's not its purpose is it? Based on its reliability and being so easy to conceal I couldn't really say no for $299. If I'm looking for something fun to shoot at the range I have my M&P 9. My wife is also considering getting her permit and she really wants to steal it from me when she does. She's like: "you get your big gun I get the cute one!" So if I like it I may have to buy a second one later on -.-

Thanks for the help, will post pics once I pick it up.

LCP is a fine weapon for CC.
    300 IS OVER PRICED. Then it can be bought in many place for around 280 and no extra fees.
    P95 is an excellent weapon but is a full size.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    LCP is a fine weapon for CC.
    300 IS OVER PRICED. Then it can be bought in many place for around 280 and no extra fees.
    P95 is an excellent weapon but is a full size.
    I have not seen a single one for under 300 in any local gunshop or online website.

I actually got mine for $279 online at Gander back in January. I always thought Gander was a ripoff but that was a pretty sweet deal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links