new guy needs help.

This is a discussion on new guy needs help. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have you considered a revolver? 357 Mag or 44 Mag. 6 shots. I hunt deer with my 357 or 44 mag. ( my property is ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: new guy needs help.

VIP Member
    Have you considered a revolver? 357 Mag or 44 Mag. 6 shots. I hunt deer with my 357 or 44 mag. ( my property is in an area with a no long gun rule).

you should see what that 44 does to a doe. I have been eyeing up a Colt Python 357. As a bonus you can shoot 44 spec or 38 spec not just the mag rounds.

just a thought!. You can also choose between Colt,Ruger, Smith and Wesson,Taurus and many other brands.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Have you considered a revolver? 357 Mag or 44 Mag. 6 shots. I hunt deer with my 357 or 44 mag. ( my property is in an area with a no long gun rule).

you should see what that 44 does to a doe. I have been eyeing up a Colt Python 357. As a bonus you can shoot 44 spec or 38 spec not just the mag rounds.

just a thought!. You can also choose between Colt,Ruger, Smith and Wesson,Taurus and many other brands.
    Agreed. Revolvers are excellent, especially for conceal carry. You have MUCH less to worry about such as jamming/failures to eject too. They have quite a few with a built in laser for a low price ~$400-450
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Agreed. Revolvers are excellent, especially for conceal carry. You have MUCH less to worry about such as jamming/failures to eject too. They have quite a few with a built in laser for a low price ~$400-450
    And they don't spit out brass. ( so you don't have to chase your brass.....for reloading)

Here was my thought process when I was choosing a caliber for carrying. I live in TX, so the 10 rd/mag law does not apply to me. My thoughts were for the top 3 calibers. There are others, but I wanted to stain in the "main stream" of the calibers. my handgun of choice was the XD service model.

If you use good quality hollowpoint ammo (FMJ will over penetrate regardless of caliber).

9mm - softer recoil, greater capicity, good transfer of energy, lowest cost of ammo (more practice)
    45 cal - Harder recoil, smaller capacity, best transfer of energy, highest cost for ammo
    40 cal - Snappier recoil, more than the 9 but less than the 45, less capacity than the 9 but more than the 45, lower cost than the 45 but highr than the 9

I did my research on "stopping power" for these 3 calibers as well. I picked the 9mm because of higher mag capacity (16+1), less expensive practice ammo so I could practice more and I felt the 9mm had "enough" stopping power for self defense. Also, the 9mm had softer recoil in a medium to large frame gun for quick follow up shots. I don't want to get into a "stopping power" debate, but practice and shot placement was more important to me than the size of the hole. However, if I was limited to 10 rd mag, I might have gone with the 45 cal.

The real question I would ask you is: What caliber do you shoot best? The caliber that you shoot best would be my recommendation. I shoot the 9mm best for some reason. I felt it was better to shoot and hit my target (follow up included) with a smaller caliber than missing with a larger caliber.

But the bottom line for me is personal preference. Shoot many guns with many calibers and decide which one you shoot and conceal the best. Including wheel guns as well as semi's

My 2 cents.

Google Dr. Gary Robert's ballistic's and you will gain a bunch of knowledge. With a proper hollowpoint the 45acp meet's the FBI guide line's. Hopefully I won't get in trouble for posting a link to another forum Self Defense and Duty Load Information - Updated 03/2012 - 1911Forum
    Remember, Life is not like a box of chocolate's.. It's more like a jalapeno pepper, because what you decide upon today can really burn your butt tomorrow..

Limited to 10 rounds...

Glock 30 (10 x .45 ACP)
    Glock 27 (9 x .40)
    Glock 26 (10 x 9mm)

The Glock 30 is a mid-sized gun, and a bit thicker than the other two. The 26/27 are the same size, so-called "baby Glocks." They are easier to conceal, but still handle like larger pistols. Try some at a range, and see which you like.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Find a gun you're happy with. Sounds to me like you're revolver bound. If you feel you're going to need ten shots, maybe you better practice more. If you feel you will be running into multiple BGs all the time, maybe you should consider a different route. Shot placement is everything. As far as 45acp is concerned, it seems to have worked for over 100 yrs, and defended this country quite well. It is considered a man-stopper.
    Colt Commander LW. I think shooting twice is just plain silly.

In Massachusetts you're only limited to 10 rounds for NEW mags. Any mag manufactured prior to September 13, 1994 is legal to possess regardless of its size (assuming you have a Class A license). So for instance if you buy a 9mm Glock, you can use pre-1994 15, 17, or even 33 round mags in it.

For the best information on Massachusetts laws and general firearms info, I strongly suggest you visit here:

Northeastshooters.com

There are dedicated sections for laws, guns for sale, etc. An excellent resource for us who live in this sad state.
    Gun control is not the answer. Gun control is the question. The answer is NO.

Recommend you look hard at the .357 Sig round in the Sig P229 - 12 rounds of .357 Sig goodness

.357 SIG Speer Gold Dot Ammo test - YouTube

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Heres a thought... twin glock 9mm with 33rnd mags. If the bullets don't stop the BG, he'll be carrying enough lead to at least slow him down, or he'll trip on the spent brass.
    Last edited by texasleaguer; April 19th, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
    Colt Commander LW. I think shooting twice is just plain silly.

Personally I carry .357 Sig most of the time, but I do carry an older Interarms Walther PPK/S in .380 that has been reliable for 20 years now and then due to comfort or clothing.

While I'm not advocating .380 as the best Defensive carry round, with Gold Dots, I'm comfortable that with well placed shots it will get the job done.

10+" penetration and good expansion w/ 4 layer denim
    Speer Gold Dot .380 ACP 90 gr Ammo test - YouTube
    380 Gold Dot Ballistic gel test - YouTube

Moral of the story, .380 is the smallest I'm comfortable with, will always prefer something bigger when possible. Get a gun you're comfortable with and practice, practice, practice.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredfish View Post
    Personally I carry .357 Sig most of the time, but I do carry an older Interarms Walther PPK/S in .380 that has been reliable for 20 years now and then due to comfort or clothing.

While I'm not advocating .380 as the best Defensive carry round, with Gold Dots, I'm comfortable that with well placed shots it will get the job done.

10+" penetration and good expansion w/ 4 layer denim
    Speer Gold Dot .380 ACP 90 gr Ammo test - YouTube
    380 Gold Dot Ballistic gel test - YouTube

Moral of the story, .380 is the smallest I'm comfortable with, will always prefer something bigger when possible. Get a gun you're comfortable with and practice, practice, practice.
    Agreed, 380 can get the job done, 9m,.40,.45 is much better, but 380 still isn't something you want to be on the other end of.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

For a "first timer" I will recommend a .357 cal revolver for you. This revolver will work with the .38 Special also, which is inexpensive ammo. With the revolver using the 38 Special you can practice control of the trigger as well as recoil of the gun.

You want stopping power? Nothing in a concealable handgun will beat the .357 Magnum except the .44 Magnum (IMO) which will also work with the .44 Special Therefore, for you my new friend, I recommend a quality revolver (S&W, Colt or Ruger) of your choice in either the 357 or the 44. I would really hate to get shot with either.

Vv

My advice would be, dependng on where you live in MA, to just jump n your car, drive to Epping NH to the SIG academy, and talk to one of the instructors there. In the SIGPRO store, they have every model with mags and different trggers to hold and handle without having to even talk to some salesperson. Make an informed decision on your own. You will get as many different opinions here as there are replies. Nobody here can tell you if you have a limpwristing issue, how recol sensitive you are, nor what fells good in your hand. Shoot as many handguns as you can lay your hands on. First, decide if you'd actually prefer a revolver or a semi, and take it from there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links