new guy needs help.

This is a discussion on new guy needs help. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a late response but because of the subject I wanted to pitch it.... why would you want a 30/30 rifle cartridge in a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: new guy needs help.

This is a late response but because of the subject I wanted to pitch it.... why would you want a 30/30 rifle cartridge in a defense gun? The bullet would pass through the person you shoot and kill someone behind them. All the energy would be lost the bullet would be moving so fast and at close range in all probability never expand

2. Remove Ads

My advice would be to look to the Sig Sauer P250 line of pistols. They are modular in the fact that you can get calibers from 9mm, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP, as well as picking from a sub-compact, compact, and full size frame with different size grips all in the same gun, not to mention the smooth, revolver-like double action only trigger. I carry the subcompact .40 S&W and have a 9mm conversion kit for it as well, and can't say enough good things about it. Good Luck with your choice though!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    .45 sounds good but it doesn't seem to have much penetration. anything that size or bigger with better penetration?
    Oh, absolutely! Dude, you always have options. If a .45ACP doesn't float your boat, how about a Barrett .50 cal?

50cal2.png.jpeg

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrwizr View Post
    Oh, absolutely! Dude, you always have options. If a .45ACP doesn't float your boat, how about a Barrett .50 cal?

50cal2.png.jpeg
    In a shoulder rig.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Love the Glock 30 also
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    which of those rounds (.380ACP, 9mm, .357SIG, .40S&W, .45ACP) would you suggest, and why?
    Time to get to a range that rents pistols. Try several out. It'll be a tad expensive, renting numerous guns and purchasing a box of ammo for each, but it's about the only way to get hands-on experience with various combinations.

Each type of ammunition has a different characteristic "feel" to it, in terms of kick, muzzle flash, your ability to control the weapon and keep the muzzle on target, your speed of follow-up shots with that gun/ammo combination. Beyond that, you're going to need to be carrying the thing along with ammo all day long. Not everyone likes big and heavy, from a day-to-day practical standpoint of carrying the rig.

For me, the 9mm Luger round fits the bill for self-defense. In a gun with sufficient barrel length to keep the on-target impact high and heavy hitting (> 400 ft-lbs of force), I feel it's got sufficient punch to get the job done. That means a pistol > 6.5in in length (more or less), and something north of ~30oz fully loaded. For me, .40S&W kicks a bit too sharply, and .45ACP in a gun with at least 10rds results in something heavier than I'd prefer to carry on a daily basis. .357SIG is a bottle-necked cartridge with purportedly better feed reliability due to the shape, but with heavier kick. My choice: 9mm Luger, in a suitably-sized 10+ round DA/SA pistol.

As well, keep in mind that the pistol/ammo combination has a lot to do with pistol choice, too. For example, in 9mm, I can practically hit the head of a (fat) nail at 10yds with a Browning BDM, do just fine with a Glock 19, but spray 'em all around the 9- and 10-ring of the same target with a Glock 26 sub-compact. There's just something about the balance, weight and pointing of the different guns that does different things to the same round at the same distance. A lot will have to do with practice, sure, but IMO the balance, weight and pointing of a given gun in a given caliber has a lot to do with accuracy too.

My ideal primary carry gun: ~6.5in OAL, <30oz loaded, DA/SA action, 9mm cartridge, 10+ rounds, with lefty/ambi friendly nature (ie, big controls, or lefty positioning), without foibles that ruin accuracy or practicality for daily carry. As it turns out, there aren't really dozens of choices that work. I've been through a handful, and each has its pros/cons. About the best I have found: CZ P-01 9mm (a tad large); H&K P2000SK 9mm (with an ambi magazine release tab that dug into my fingers and was harder for me to manipulate); and the Glock 19 9mm (with smaller slide release tab that's hard for me to manipulate). Any of these would be exceptional choices for 9mm carry, assuming you're comfortable and accurate with one of them.

So. Where does that leave you? Can't say. You'll need to think through the ramifications of a cartridge choice and decide on what combination will meet your goals.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    How about one of these? AF2011-A1 "Second Century" - Double barrel pistol - YouTube

It's makes a .90 cal.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. CZ 75 P-07 Duty 9mm.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

All handgun cartridges are weak, but, a properly placed shot from any of them will stop the threat. A poorly placed shot, even with the biggest handgun, may result in whoever you are trying to stop, to kill you.

As stated earlier, you need to fondle/shoot as many different guns as possible, and see what works best for YOU.

IF you haven't used handguns, get some instruction ... and safely handling one is a bit different than a long gun.
    Then, with them, try out different guns... see what hits your fancy and what works the best for you (function, size, etc.).

As far as caliber, if it was the "only" gun I was going to have and was going to be limited to 10 rounds ... it would be in a .357 or a .45 cal ... period. Both have good stopping power, and I don't like the .40 cal.

Any limit on number of spare mags you can carry ??? I would carry at least a couple and practice to be able to reload quickly.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Get thee to a class or two. Check out the NRA website and your state's dept of conservation/F&G/etc (and those of neighboring states) for classes. Shoot as many guns as you can - choose the one you're most comfortable and accurate with. As you can't shoot everything, keep in mind as the guns get smaller the felt recoil goes up.

1911 in .45

or, for big.........
    Desert Eagle in 50AE.

Both are less than 10 rounds.

You'll discover that smaller guns conceal easier, and eventually, you'll end up with a small
    9 mm. I love my Sig 225.

Springfield Armory EMP in 9mm? Nice.

I have a Ruger Redhawk Alaskan in 454 Casull?
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links