new guy needs help.

This is a discussion on new guy needs help. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hi guys, im new to the wide world of self defense weapons and would like some help if you have the time. i recently submitted ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: new guy needs help.

new guy needs help.

hi guys, im new to the wide world of self defense weapons and would like some help if you have the time.
    i recently submitted my concealed carry form here in Massachusetts and would like to start looking at pistols for concealed carry.
    seeing as how i can only carry 10 shots in my magazine id like those ten shots to be as big as possible, if you know of a gun that shoots 30/30. id sure like to know about it!
    im a big guy so i could conceal a fairly large firearm on my frame, im thinking shoulder holster but im flexible.
    i dont have any experience (yet!) with sidearms except the N.R.A safety course i took but i do have experience with longarms.
    im interested in the JERICHO but id love any other suggestions as well as any opinion on it.
    thanks.

2. Remove Ads

You want a rifle cartridge in your concealed handgun? Standard self-defense rounds are .380, 9mm, .357 sig, .40 s&w and .45ACP. You'd better looking for one of those. The S&W M&P .40c holds 10 in the magazine, plus one in the chamber. It's what I conceal every day.
    Edward7 likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    You want a rifle cartridge in your concealed handgun? Standard self-defense rounds are .380, 9mm, .357 sig, .40 s&w and .45ACP. You'd better looking for one of those. The S&W M&P .40c holds 10 in the magazine, plus one in the chamber. It's what I conceal every day.
    lol, no i was just kidding. which of those rounds would you suggest, and why?

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    First off, you need to do a LOT of research before purchasing. 9mm and .40 are typically the most popular CC rounds. If you want something small with <10 capacity, look at the Xds, or m&p c. Both come in 9mm and .40. There are many more good options out there however. Go to a shop and look at and hold the ones you're interested in.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    lol, no i was just kidding. which of those rounds would you suggest, and why?

9mm is cheaper and has softer recoil and at times can be easier to find.

.40 is a bit bigger so has a little more stopping power, however is more expensive and some times isn't the easiest to find.

There are benefits to each, but what really matters is SHOT PLACEMENT.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

VIP Member
    Big bullet(45 ACP) + 10rnd mag + Compact + Reliable = G30SF

I researched compact 45 autos to death and came full circle back to the G30. It's one of the best handguns I've ever owned, and frequently carried.

Plus, if you get bored with it, you can pick up an aftermarket 10mm barrel, springs and some G29 mags. It's all goodness.
    10thmtn and los like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post

I researched compact 45 autos to death and came full circle back to the G30. It's one of the best handguns I've ever owned, and frequently carried.

Plus, if you get bored with it, you can pick up an aftermarket 10mm barrel, springs and some G29 mags. It's all goodness.
    Can't believe I forgot to mention Glock... Amazing guns, extremely reliable, and a very good history and reputation.

VIP Member

I second the G-30. Why 45? ( cause they don't have a 46 ). Make sure to get some more training.

.45 sounds good but it doesn't seem to have much penetration. anything that size or bigger with better penetration?

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I second the G-30. Why 45? ( cause they don't have a 46 ). Make sure to get some more training.
    oh absolutely, i dont intend on carrying till Ive had enough practice to fire safely and accurately.

.45 sounds good but it doesn't seem to have much penetration. anything that size or bigger with better penetration?
    I don't see how you would want anything bigger than a 45 honestly... and use hollowpoints.

VIP Member
    Please don't take this in a bad way, but you should probably spend more time understanding ballistics and how they relate in a self-defense situation, before deciding on caliber and firearm. There's tons of great reading material out there. Google away.
    Burns likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    I don't see how you would want anything bigger than a 45 honestly... and use hollowpoints.
    i know i seem ignorant here but....why? to my (admittedly limited) knowledge hollow points increase damage but reduce penetration, something the .45 isnt renown for as it is.

Please don't take this in a bad way, but you should probably spend more time understanding ballistics and how they relate in a self-defense situation, before deciding on caliber and firearm. There's tons of great reading material out there. Google away.
    like i said, i have some experience with rifles and shotguns in hunting situations but your right in that i have little experience with pistols. maybe penetration is just more important for hunting deer......... my family isnt big on guns, i was lucky to be allowed to hunt.
    i appreciate your help and take absolutely no offense. are there any specific books i should read?

i know i have a lot to learn before making a purchase much less carrying and i appreciate the help.

i know i seem ignorant here but....why? to my (admittedly limited) knowledge hollow points increase damage but reduce penetration, something the .45 isnt renown for as it is.
    If I were you I would look up all the pros and cons of all the calibers, your mind may not be set on the 45 after you do. Hollowpoints are amazing for SD. But at $1/round it's not something you want to shoot at the range. You also do not want your bullets going through the BG and hitting an innocent civilian/property behind him. As I stated, the most important thing to consider is shot placement, caliber is more of a preference. Also, in a self defense situation you will most likely be shooting within a few feet of the BG.
    WHEC724 and sid1 like this.

Any of the standard rounds we've mentioned in a good manufactured self-defense hollowpoint will get plenty of penetration, save the .380 in my opinion. The .380 is an "I absolutely can't carry anything bigger today" caliber.

As for books, anything by Masad Ayoob.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links