Colt Officer's Model

This is a discussion on Colt Officer's Model within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does any one know when Colt stopped making the Officer's Model and why? I think that it would be a good size for CCW. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Officer's Model

Colt Officer's Model

Does any one know when Colt stopped making the Officer's Model and why? I think that it would be a good size for CCW. I know that they have the Defender, but it's a 3 incher.

2. Remove Ads

If ya could come up with a good reason why colt did something that would be a first..

Colt doesn't seem to make the best business decisions

i cant tell ya when they stopped making the officers model someone else might be able to

I found two at a shop in Ocala. One was blue with night sights and the other was a stainless. Both were priced at $795. I thought that was a little high. The stainless seemed to be in better condition that the blued one.

Thats about a right price for a colt

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    Thats about a right price for a colt
    Mmmm. Maybe I'll go back for a closer look. I mostly carry a P-12 or a G-27 right now. I wouldn't mind having a slimmer 45 to carry. Even though the Para is a Shooter!!

Defender is probably replacement for Officers

According to the Standard Catalog of Firearms, the Colt Officers model in steel was introduced in 1985, and in aluminum frame in 1986. The Defender was introduced in 1998 (officer's frame, 3 inch barrel) and the Concealed Carry Officer Model was introduced in 1998 (officer's frame, 4.25 inch barrel). I believe the original Officers model was discontinued in the mid 1990's, just before the Defender came out.

I suspect that when Kimber introduced their 3 inch Ultra model in the 1990's, Colt felt that they had to match the barrel length and developed the Defender. They probably dropped the Officer's because it was too close in configuration to the Defender, I would guess. Concealed carry was becoming popular in the mid 1990s and demand for a shorter barrelled 1911 was growing.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I suspect that when Kimber introduced their 3 inch Ultra model in the 1990's, Colt felt that they had to match the barrel length and developed the Defender. They probably dropped the Officer's because it was too close in configuration to the Defender, I would guess. Concealed carry was becoming popular in the mid 1990s and demand for a shorter barrelled 1911 was growing.
    I've handled the Defender and the Ultra Carry, I just hate to go any shorter than the 3.5 inch barrel!!!

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i have a kimber ultra carry and a colt commander. both are great guns. and one is as accurate as the other, and reliability is never an issue. The 3.5 inch barrel is not a problem in my kimber, I think that is a myth some glock fan or someone made up.
    the ultra carry with the shorter barrel is the main carry piece, but I plan on carrying both in a shoulder rig in the winter.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    i have a kimber ultra carry and a colt commander. both are great guns. and one is as accurate as the other, and reliability is never an issue. The 3.5 inch barrel is not a problem in my kimber, I think that is a myth some glock fan or someone made up.
    the ultra carry with the shorter barrel is the main carry piece, but I plan on carrying both in a shoulder rig in the winter.

The local shop here in Inverness has a Stainless Ultra Carry for $895. I'm not familiar with Kimber's to know if that's about right. The reason I would like to find a single stack 3.5 inch instead of a 3 inch is because my leather was made for the 3.5 inch. One is a Watch-Six and the other is an Eagle Defender..

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post

it is well know that sub 4" guns can be a lot picker than 4 and above mostly it leads down to what ammo does it like and if the owner is willing to try a few different types

Mags and also shoot becoming used to the gun

JD
    Administrator
    Para ordnance makes a LDA in a 3.5....the CCO. The Springfield Ultra Compact is also 3.5

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Bud,
    respectfully, it has been well talked about that sub 4 inchers are less realiable, but in my experience with 6 or so of them, they are just as reliable as my kimber TLE II or my colt series 70. i currently own two, my bro in law own one and my brothers both own a sub 4 inch, and no problems. as long as I don't use semi wad cutters, it will eat anything.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Again it depends on the owners also as i said in my post above

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I have one that I bought in the 80s and one I bought the other day. The one I bought the other day was about 93% and I paid $450.00. I carry and shoot FMJ Ball Ammo in them and have had no stoppages, FTF or FTE.
    I also change the recoil springs about every 500 rounds in them. The one I bought in the 80s, NIB, I paid $400.00. I subscribe to the theory that if you need one, God wants you to have two.

Jungle Work

1943 - 2009
    It's not an Officer's model, but Colt still catalogs the Gunsite Pistol, #09840CGP (Commander slide on an Officer's frame).

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links