Which had more revolutionary impact: Colt 1911 or Glock?

This is a discussion on Which had more revolutionary impact: Colt 1911 or Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Of the two I went with the 1911. If the field was wide open I would have gone Borchardt or Walther P-38. I don't find ...

View Poll Results: Which had more revolutionary impact on handguns: Glock or Colt 1911?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock

14 10.00%
  • Colt 1911

102 72.86%
  • They were equally influential

24 17.14%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Which had more revolutionary impact: Colt 1911 or Glock?

Of the two I went with the 1911. If the field was wide open I would have gone Borchardt or Walther P-38. I don't find much about either the 1911 or the Glock to be particularly revolutionary.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

2. Remove Ads

Browning's 1911 was not his first semi-auto, or even the first semi-auto handgun. However, it being a .45 and it's instant adoption by the U.S. Army, and it's decades-long role in that capacity cannot be denied.

The Glock's place as the pistol that pretty much got U.S. law enforcement away from the .38 revolver cannot be forgotten. It is also responsible for the explosion in developement myriad pistols now available in the civilian/cc arena. It's action is simpler than Browning's in it's operation and maintenance. Let's not forget that Browning developed the fist hi-cap 9mm.

Sooo.....Revolutionary impact? It's close, but I have to give it to the Colt .45.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Gun Owners of America lifetime member since last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Walden View Post
    I'd argue that the Glock kicked off the "Wonder 9" trend and changed the course of concealable guns.
    I would argue that the BHP was the first "Wonder 9", in 1935, but for some reason, the concept never really took off until the '70's with the M92 and the CZ75.

Regards,
    Jim

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Colt 1911
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    The answer to the question is the Colt 1911. Coming from a guy who carries a Glock.

^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^
    Slabsides by a landslide.

Coming from a guy who carries Smiths(3) and a Kel Tec,
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Have to see where Glock's design is in a hundred years. Short term Glock has made a major impact on gun design.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gen3 View Post
    Browning's 1911 was not his first semi-auto, or even the first semi-auto handgun. However, it being a .45 and it's instant adoption by the U.S. Army, and it's decades-long role in that capacity cannot be denied.

The Glock's place as the pistol that pretty much got U.S. law enforcement away from the .38 revolver cannot be forgotten. It is also responsible for the explosion in developement myriad pistols now available in the civilian/cc arena. It's action is simpler than Browning's in it's operation and maintenance. Let's not forget that Browning developed the fist hi-cap 9mm.

Sooo.....Revolutionary impact? It's close, but I have to give it to the Colt .45.

^^^^^^^^UM,^^^^^^^^^^^

I think that dubious honor would go primarily to the 1st., 2nd., and 3rd. gen Smiths.
    Then Glock came across the water in around '84-'85.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I am curious, what is supposed to be so revolutionary about either of these designs? What is the technical innovation that they introduced?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=oneshot;2236499

Coming from a guy who carries Smiths(3) and a Kel Tec,[/QUOTE]

all at the same time? and is one of the smiths a 629?

1911's have had more impact historically than glocks, but both have influenced firearms heavily.

*My daily duty carry is a G21.*
    Last edited by mulle46; April 19th, 2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: clarity
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

VIP Member
    I guess I will buck the system and say they are even. I am as much of a 1911 guy as a Glock guy, but the reason for my vote is the simple fact that Glock was a game changer and I still think it is still changing the game and pushing the industry. While I agree that HK did it first, it's kind of like Elvis, The Beetles and Nirvana. There were people before them, but no one brought it to the masses like those guys.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Without the Colt 1911 as a basis for all modern auto loaders, Gaston Glock wouldn't have had anything to build on.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm surprised the vote is not more even. I had to vote this way. The 1911 is iconic for sure, but the Glock was " the new deal" in handgun history. I feel they both made an equal impact.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Even though I LOVE my Glocks, I also voted for the 1911. Getting a Colt 1911 is on my wish list. It may never even be shot and will probably be a safe queen.
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, Glock 30SF, Colt 1911 GCT (all .45ACP),
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357MAG/.38SP), Judge (.410G/.45LC)

Long guns: Daniel Defense AR-15's (M4V4 and M4V5), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22;LR)

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I think without question the 1911. Yet another endorsement for 1911 from a Glock owner.
    Last edited by ericb327; April 20th, 2012 at 01:35 PM.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links