Which had more revolutionary impact: Colt 1911 or Glock?

This is a discussion on Which had more revolutionary impact: Colt 1911 or Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw this thread on another forum and was curious to see what were members' opinions here. Please keep it civil. I for one long ...

View Poll Results: Which had more revolutionary impact on handguns: Glock or Colt 1911?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock

14 10.00%
  • Colt 1911

102 72.86%
  • They were equally influential

24 17.14%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Which had more revolutionary impact: Colt 1911 or Glock?

Which had more revolutionary impact: Colt 1911 or Glock?

I saw this thread on another forum and was curious to see what were members' opinions here. Please keep it civil.

I for one long to get a 1911 eventually. Probably would be my first safe queen. I respect Glock and think that they are fine pistols, they just aren't for me, mostly my hands aren't large enough for their large grips. Most would agree that both are fine pistols, but which was more revolutionary in your opinion?

Anyways... the following is from the other thread

This is going to be an interesting thread for argument sake. Which had more revolutionary impact on the concept of the semiauto: Colt 1911 or Glock?

1911 pistols just got better over the time to a point where they saw a lot of action in wars, civilian SD/HD guns, competition, and it especially became the icon platform for the .45 ACP. Most major manufacturers copied the design and still do to this date. A collection is incomplete without a quality 1911.

Whereas, Glock, once considered a plastic gun (although not the first polymer pistol) opened the doors for polymer guns after it got widely accepted by LEAs and civilians. It became the icon of utility gun for many people around the world. Offered in variety of different calibers, cost effective, easy to use and clean, tremendous amount of accessories, and a household name for many LEAs currently around the world. It"s always among the front runners of the guns considered for LEAs or civilian SD/HD pistols. Durability is amazing and reliability is super.

You decide and share with us your opinions.

Thanks.

Here is the other thread Which had more revolutionary impact: Glock or Colt 1911? - THR
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I don't own either, so I have no dog in this fight, but from a historical standpoint
    I'd have to say John Moses Browning's "masterpiece".
    Just my $.02

BTW, great idea for a thread.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

JD
    Administrator
    Almost every major auto pistol after the 1911 has shared it's locked breech design in some form or another. Glock really hasn't done anything that hadn't been done before?

First polymer guns goes to HK, striker fired wasn't a new concept...

Right now I would say the 1911, But it would be a good question to ask in 100 years. What will still be around?

Around and Around the time machine goes and where it stops no one knows.

AR
    Last edited by AlwaysReady; April 19th, 2012 at 04:41 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysReady View Post
    Right now I would say the 1911, But it would be a good question to ask in 100 years. What will still be around?

Around and Around the time machine goes and where it stops no one knows.

AR
    If Glock is still around in 100 years, it will just then be matching what the 1911 has already done.
    bunker likes this.
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    I carry a G21, full sized 45, i voted for the 1911, IMHO, it is still the gold standard by which all other semi-autos are measured. Glock my have refined or simplified the operation from the user standpoint. It didn't bring us anything we didn't already have.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VIP Member
    The answer to the question is the Colt 1911. Coming from a guy who carries a Glock.

The 1911, Glock is just a line in the book the 1911 is chapters.
    If not for NATO the US military would still be using a version of the 1911

VIP Member
    Another vote for 1911 from a Glockophile.

Another vote for the 1911 from a guy who"s EDC is a 17. Every SA pistol is measured against the Browning masterpiece.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Almost every major auto pistol after the 1911 has shared it's locked breech design in some form or another. Glock really hasn't done anything that hadn't been done before?

First polymer guns goes to HK, striker fired wasn't a new concept...
    few words but pretty much covers it all
    1911 was a ground up design--co-designed with its own cartrage.
    the glock brought together elements of existing technology. rather successfull too.
    right time...right place
    can be said for both

but think down the road a couple of generations and the great grand kids handling your 'antiques'

which will be the oh's and aw's----metal or tupperware
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Lead Moderator
    No contest! The Colt wins...
    bunker likes this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    Revolutionary.

That would go to the Colt.

At a time when the single action revolver was king, the Colt Automatic Pistol was not only the cutting edge of technology,it was a game changer for anyone that used one. The reloading capability was unheard of in its time. When most revolvers were 6 shot, the Colt had 8.

THe .45 ACP was loaded to duplicate the .45 Colt. It hit hard, was easy to load on horseback, was fairly accurate and easy to reload in a hurry.

At that time, it was a revolutionary concept that changed the way we looked at handguns.

The Glock...not so much. Yeah its use of polymers was different than most but I wouldnt call it a game changer by any means. It was just another semi auto handgun, the only difference was the use of a plastic frame. It did cause others to take note, but thats about it. While the Glock stood out from others, it was not in the same league as the Colt when it came to being "revolutionary".
    10thmtn likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

1911 hands down.
    “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” --George Washington

The 1911 was much more revolutionary from a design standpoint. I'd argue that the Glock kicked off the "Wonder 9" trend and changed the course of concealable guns.
    ericb327 likes this.
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links