Pocket Autoloading Pistols for Personal Defense

This is a discussion on Pocket Autoloading Pistols for Personal Defense within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My latest article on Personal Defense Network. Small autoloading pistols, whether referred to as pocket pistols, hideout guns, backup guns, or mouse guns, get no ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Pocket Autoloading Pistols for Personal Defense

My latest article on Personal Defense Network.
    Small autoloading pistols, whether referred to as pocket pistols, hideout guns, backup guns, or mouse guns, get no respect. Frequently maligned by firearms trainers as too small, inaccurate, and not powerful enough, they are the red-headed stepchildren of the firearms community. Nonetheless, these little guns represent a major segment of the firearms sales market.
    Crescentstar likes this.
    Some drink at the fountain of Knowledge, others just gargle.

2. Remove Ads

Talisman

The majority of new purchasers of handguns are not overly committed to the discipline of personal protection. They just want something to make them feel better. So they buy an expensive rabbits foot and rationalize their safety. Hence the expanding market to meet the demand.
    sgb, smolck, RayBar and 1 others like this.

Good article. I think those that claim they are inaccurate should work on their shooting fundamentals.
    helderberg likes this.

I feel fine only carrying my LCP. But, it did take a lot of practice to become a better shot with it. Mouseguns take extra effort and committment to master them.
    helderberg likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin3840 View Post
    The majority of new purchasers of handguns are not overly committed to the discipline of personal protection. They just want something to make them feel better. So they buy an expensive rabbits foot and rationalize their safety. Hence the expanding market to meet the demand.
    I do not think this is an accurate statement. For some people, it is impractical to carry anything larger than a pocket carried gun. I do agree however, that many new to the CC scene probably do buy in such a manner. Many people are not into the whole live, breath and eat firearms training thing.

Additionally, we must remember that people like us on this forum, are in a minority, thats why at leas 25% of the people in the U.S. are not members here. Probably not .005%.
    And, a small pistol in your pocket with a working knowledge of how it works, puts anyone far ahead of the power curve.
    Bark'n, PEF and helderberg like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I do not think this is an accurate statement. For some people, it is impractical to carry anything larger than a pocket carried gun. I do agree however, that many new to the CC scene probably do buy in such a manner. Many people are not into the whole live, breath and eat firearms training thing.

Additionally, we must remember that people like us on this forum, are in a minority, thats why at leas 25% of the people in the U.S. are not members here. Probably not .005%.
    And, a small pistol in your pocket with a working knowledge of how it works, puts anyone far ahead of the power curve.
    We also have to remember that most of the time, when you actually need to discharge your weapon in SD, you will be within a foot or 2 of the BG, which accuracy isn't much of an issue....380 pocket carry pistols aren't a bad choice and are a whole lot easier and more comfortable to conceal than a full size.
    los likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Good article! did you take the photos as well?
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Great article. Mouse guns have a place in everybody's carry rotation.

The thing I found most interesting was that the LCP accounted for more than 50% of Rugers production for multiple years. Wow!
    Question Everything!

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

The "with a working knowledge" part is the all too common missing link. I am aware that those who are competent with pocket size arms can mount a good defense at usual confrontation range.

Fantastic article! I am a huge fan of mouse guns. After all, the first rule of gun fighting is to have a gun.
    helderberg likes this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

sgb
    Mouse guns are to the firearms community what unarmed security officers are to industry. The Illusion of safety and security.

Not all of us buy into illusions.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Mouse guns are to the firearms community what unarmed security officers are to industry. The Illusion of safety and security.

Not all of us buy into illusions.
    Are you serious?

Nothing wrong with a 'mouse gun' that you have 'proven' at the range.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin3840 View Post
    The "with a working knowledge" part is the all too common missing link. I am aware that those who are competent with pocket size arms can mount a good defense at usual confrontation range.
    It was the part you left out in your original post. Just putting a perspective on it.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by tdrussell View Post
    Are you serious?

Why wouldn't I be? Because I don't adhere to the false sense of security that small under powered hard to shoot firearms give others? Carry what you will, it affects no one but you and yours. Doesn't mean I have to agree with or support your choice as being a good one.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links