SCCY 9MM: Any Good?

This is a discussion on SCCY 9MM: Any Good? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by krisspy I find myself really wanting a CPX-2, but I don't know why. I don't think I would carry it because I'm ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: SCCY 9MM: Any Good?

StarPD45
    Quote Originally Posted by krisspy View Post
    I find myself really wanting a CPX-2, but I don't know why. I don't think I would carry it because I'm fully invested in a PPS and I'm sure the triggers are nothing alike. The SCCY probably wouldn't be a great range gun, besides I already have a G19 for that purpose. It wouldn't be a home defense weapon because I have a .45 for that. I don't know...talk me out of wanting one.
    If you want it, buy it. No other reason needed.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm hanging on to my PF9....
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

My new CPX2TT arrived yesterday. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but fit and finish seems excellent. I cycled some ammo by hand through it and no problems at all; loads and ejects just fine. However these are about the tightest magazine springs I've ever tried to load. Mine came in the black box with red lettering which I read are supposed to
    have all the latest upgrades (different guide rod and frame pins from the red box versions)

GH
    Something you can do to help load a full mag in a CPX or any gun is to load as many as you can initially. Let the loaded mag sit for a few days. Unload the mag. Then load as many rounds that you can, hopefully more than you started with. Keep repeating until it's at its full load. Let that sit for a few days. Eventually the springs will lose their factory tension & you'll find it easier to load each time. Either that or your loading fingers will develop new muscles, lol. The springs will still be plenty strong enough to cycle rounds so don't worry about it. You just have to get rid of the "newness" in those springs.

I almost bought a CPX-2 a half year ago. $214 at Streicher's. (add tax & background check fee to that of course) Is there a newer model out now? I had heard that SCCY was thinking about coming out with a .40 cal version. That might be a bear to shoot in such a small handgun.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Advice Needed

I recently qualified for my CCP which should be here shortly. Working with an instructor at an indoor range I was able to try about a dozen guns and did buy a Sig P-226. However, being a woman and wearing that on my hip seems to test the testosterone levels of some guys and I don't want any problems. While in a gun shop today I came across a SKYY 9mm. Having been all over this site and seen some reviews on this gun I'm thinking maybe this is not for me. Would some of you like to weigh in on what would be a good model to carry in my purse: small but pack a punch? I do not care for revolvers, thank you. And also, thank you for your input.

the gen 2 w/out the safety is awesome i'm just outside cincy and sell 4-7 a week they're accurate and a great buy for the money plus customer service is 100% top notch

There is a favorable writeup and test in Combat Handguns this month.

45mink- From your post i assume you are a dealer. Where outside Cincy? I'm in the market for a 9mm

Well here I am again needing advise. Actually I think I just need assistance. I inherited my granny's pistol. It's at least 100 years old. Has EAGLE CO on the barrel. It fits nicely in my pocket. Very small. The box mentions SMITH & WESSON and yes it is the original box and some of the original bullets. How do I go about finding out more about this revolver? Can any one give me an idea? Thank you.
    Avoid biting when a growl will do, but make sure your gun is cocked and loaded when you growl.

I have a CPX-2 over 2000 rds down range no issues I carry it daily.

I just bought a Gen2 CPX 1T on 1/25/13. I just had a chance to shoot it today ( if you could call it that) I loaded the mags and let them set for 48 hrs. My first trigger pull was a FTF, second it fired but FTE. I have to pull the trigger twice to get it to fire and then may have a FTE or an open action with a fail to load. Used 3 different types of ammo, same result. Neddless to say, I will be calling SCCY on Monday. Let's see how good customer service is. IMHO this id a POS out of the box.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I would buy the KT P11 just because CS is none to be first class IF needed and has a lengthy track record.

KEL TEC Customer Service

Before you boast about kel tec and their great CS maybe you should go read the kel tec forum having big time issues with CS and everyone there full of excuses as to why they are. I have used SCCY 's CS three time. Sent my CPX-1 second gen in and had it converted to CPX-2 no charge turn around time two weeks. I ordered a new recoil rod had it in three days no cost. Just asked for a new trigger lock on friday received confermation it was sent Friday night now thats CS. As I stated before I have over 2000 + rounds down range without an issues. I have had kel tec P11s and PF9s and I still own the P11's but they ride mostly in the gun safe now. The PF9 was a total POS and after three differnt ones I traded them all off.

And to set the record straight I was told by a source close to the company that the owner of the company has never worked for Kel Tec, the design of the CPX may resemble the P11 but so does the Ruger LC9 resemble the PF9. As well as the Ruger 380 and the Kel Tec 380 look alike. Ok enought of the soap box give SCCY a chance to fix it I think you will be happy.

One of my co-workers, who is the cheapest SOB I have every encountered, recently purchased a SCCY. I haven't shot it, but it feels very toy-like in my hand and has a horrible trigger pull. He has had it to the range once and says it is surprisingly accurate. I guess for the money, it's a good cheap pistol.

at least you can get a .40 or a .45acp even a.380 from hi pointe for about the same money. you get what you pay for
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links