SCCY 9MM: Any Good?

This is a discussion on SCCY 9MM: Any Good? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have a LGS who tells me the new generation of SCCY 9mm guns are a great buy and for cheap money.PLUS, the warranty follows the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: SCCY 9MM: Any Good?

Have a LGS who tells me the new generation of SCCY 9mm guns are a great buy and for cheap money.PLUS, the warranty follows the gun, not the person(lifetime warranty). And there's a video on their site with a really great review; which I saw previously and the guy states he is not being paid for it! Any owners
    have experience with the newest version? Thanks.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

They sure are cheap...I just saw it on AIM Surplus for like $250. That's crazy...also wondering if they're any good.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I the only thing I hear is that the CS is less than desirable.

I had one and for the money it was great. Better than the Keltec P11 in my opinion... cheaper too. The worst part was the trigger.... it was loooong. But for $200 brand new in box... plus several hundred rounds without a hiccup... it was a bargain to me.

Do a search for Skyy and Sccy and you'll get a lot of feedback in threads.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Buddy of mine has a 1st gen. It kinda crapped out on him last time we went to the range together- the trigger WOULD NOT move the firing pin. And, it also had A LOT of play between the frame and slide.

He called the company, they told him to send it in and they would take care of it. About three weeks later (from the time he first called them) he got the gun back, and it was working fine. He used a vise and dial indicator to re-measure the movement of the slide and it was a fraction of what it used to be- so it was well within tolerance.

Took it back to the range and not a single problem. Accuracy was MUCH better than it was before he sent it off, due to the slide NOT wiggling side to side, and it went bang every time.

I've heard the 2nd gen are much better than the originals; I don't have any experience with them, but I've heard good things.

*On a side note... That was my sister first time shooting a semi-auto handgun and she HATED it. Light, small gun with 9mm recoil. She then shot my 1911, and hated me because she loved the gun and knew she couldn't have one.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Keep in mind that lots of the reviews for this company are for the 1st generation gun. From what I have read and heard from some people from 2 different ranges that I have seen shooting with the new one, is that the 2nd generation one is much better and more reliable. I hope this helps. God Bless
    Philly Boy likes this.

The 2nd gens are pretty good. They have a life time warranty and are not afraid to honor it. I have a gen 1 with about 1000 rounds thru it. I have broken some parts on the gun, but sccy has honored the warranty, and the new parts arrive in about a week. Overall, it has not been a bad gun.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I have a friend that works for SCCY, used to work with him at a gunshop in town here. He came in to the range where I work with a bunch of pistols for test firing. I never miss an opportnity to shoot other peoples ammo so when he offerd, I shot a bunch of them.

I tried one handed, weak handed, upside down, and even fired it with just my trigger finger and thumb trying to limp wrist it. The ammo was nasty Fiocchi 115gr FMJ and I could not make any of the samples jam. I did not care for the way the model with the thumb safety fit my hand, and one magazine had a sharp mold mark on it that a peice of sandpaper or a knife could have fixed. I think the quality has come a long way, and I know the CS guy is a talented, motivated young man.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

pretty sure the new generation models are pretty good guns. The first gen were pure crap.
    Just be advised that the SCCY guns are nothing more than a copy of the Keltec P11. Guys that started the company were
    ex-Keltec employees that basically took the design of the P11 and started their own company down the road in West Palm Beach. Not sure why Keltec did not sue them into the Atlantic Ocean, but that does not appear to be George Kelgren's style.........personally I'd just go with the P11 from Keltec that has been around since 1995. Mine have never failed in any way, and at 14 oz unloaded make a great ankly carry pistol. Yes, they are a handfull to shoot due to their light weight and long trigger, but I've reached an understanding with them. I pull the trigger and they go bang, and we just leave the arguing to others.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

It's a moot point now: got a Taurus Slim PT709 at $150 UNDER MSRP at my area guy( HeadShot-Tactical.com) near Milville, OH.,just outside of Cincy. He's done work on my G19, is a young guy with a new business and GREAT prices. Look him up and you won't regret it! But what's with mags for this gun from Midway USA not working? Anybody shed some light on this? Thanks.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Well, I'm about to find out how good they are. I just ordered a new CPX2TT Saturday that should be here in a few days. I considered one about 2 years ago, but went with the KelTec PF9 instead. Mainly because I did not like the safety on the first generation and also because of all the internet hate hype. I really hope they got most of the bugs worked out with this latest design. Most of my research indicates they have. I love my PF9, but I had a hard time keeping rust off of it sweating while wearing it this past summer.
    piguy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    The first gen were pure crap.
    Guys that started the company were ex-Keltec employees that basically took the design of the P11 and started their own company down the road in West Palm Beach.
    I don't know if this is true or not, but it sounds an awful lot like the stories about Diamond Back guns being started by ex-Kel-tec employees.
    It may be true though.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Repeat...

I had the 1rst gen. It was a reliable piece but the accuracy and trigger did not suit me. I traded for a springfield xdsc 9mm a much better gun and not much bigger than the sccy.
    Philly Boy likes this.

I find myself really wanting a CPX-2, but I don't know why. I don't think I would carry it because I'm fully invested in a PPS and I'm sure the triggers are nothing alike. The SCCY probably wouldn't be a great range gun, besides I already have a G19 for that purpose. It wouldn't be a home defense weapon because I have a .45 for that. I don't know...talk me out of wanting one.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links