Range Report: Kimber Solo compared to M&P Shield - Page 2

Range Report: Kimber Solo compared to M&P Shield

This is a discussion on Range Report: Kimber Solo compared to M&P Shield within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Actually the M&P Shield is more of a bargain - I used my local cash and carry guy shop and it was $369! People have ...

View Poll Results: Given this report, what would you go with for CCW?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kimber Solo

10 12.05%
  • M&P Shield

73 87.95%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Range Report: Kimber Solo compared to M&P Shield

Actually the M&P Shield is more of a bargain - I used my local cash and carry guy shop and it was $369! People have to remember S&W has "Nations Finest" rebate going on - $50 for M&P Pistols. So I mailed the rebate out yesterday. Now we are in bargain basement pricing for a quality gun. I had looked at the Kahr CM9 and at $399 - this gun just blows it away paying much less. So why even consider the Solo at twice the price?? I got my Shield 3 days and 150 rounds ago. Sweet!! Shot some impressive groups with cheapo ammo. This is my new personal carry. I still have my S&W BG380 for when I need something "Lite".

Nice report. Too many malfunctions with the solo for me. Too high price for not so hot reliability. Hands down, Shield gets my vote.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

After reading your nice comparison I'd say the Shield won. Especially considering with tax ~ $225 cheaper or so. You could spend the money on some more mags, Apex parts (I assume they will release some), or a better holster that you've always wanted .

"One caveat, about Double Tap ammo. As both guns had malfs with ammo, I believe it is a QC issue on their part. I think I'll stick to the big-name companies for my needs."

Great Review! Not to be argumentative with your findings but I do have to stand up for Double Tap......I use their ammo in all my carry pistols......9mm, 357 Sig, 45 acp.....with 0 malfunctions of any kind. I also use their rifle ammo(257 Roberts, 25-06, 280 Rem) which is more accurate at higher velocities than any other factory ammo I've used. Since moving from the ranch and no longer reloading, they're the only company I've found that gives the velocity I like along with hand loaded accuracy!

I would suspect the problem you had with their ammo is not their QC but the Barnes bullets(which I use exclusively in all of my hunting rifles)..... the Barnes Bullets being all copper are longer per weight than regular JHPs, as well as, having a large HP to to go along with the extra length. This could create a problem with the tighter tolerances of these smaller pistols!

Of course, this is just my opinion based on years of experience with both Barnes Bullets and Double Tap Ammo!

Once again, thanks for a Great and Informative Review.....I know it's been helpful to all of us with an interest in the new M&P Shield!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Nice report. Too many malfunctions with the solo for me. Too high price for not so hot reliability. Hands down, Shield gets my vote.
    Never had a solo but this sums up my experience with Kimber. Had an ultra raptor that had at least one or two malfunctions every time I shot it(it wasn't new I bought it lightly used). It was a nice gun I just wouldn't trust my life to it so I sold it.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Sealed the deal. The Solo is SOLD as of Tuesday (pending funds).

Took each to the range last night, to run my carry load (147gr Gold Dot) through each. Out of one box of 50 rounds, the Solo had 1 double-feed and 1 misfire. Just not acceptable for a carry gun. The shield had zero misfires or issues.

My advice: yes, the Solo is sexy and fits in a pocket. But is the chance of a malfunction (a 4% chance 2/50) worth it? Negative in my book. Go buy a Shield.

Yes, It looks like the Shield is a clear winner.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I'm sold on the Shield. I'm on the waiting list at my local shop as #3. I can't wait to get my new concealed carry weapon !

I have no interest in pocket carry so the slightly longer grip and stability it provides sounds much more appealing to me. I am saving for that Shield but the transmission is going on the Blazer....*sigh* There's always something!

Great report btw.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links