Taurus 740 slim

Taurus 740 slim

This is a discussion on Taurus 740 slim within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at the Taurus 740 slim .40 cal and it looks like a nice compact ccw gun. Anyone out there have any experience ...

Thread: Taurus 740 slim

Taurus 740 slim

I am looking at the Taurus 740 slim .40 cal and it looks like a nice compact ccw gun. Anyone out there have any experience or comment about this weapon?

VIP Member
    Can't speak specifically on the 740, but I did have a 709. While I liked the size and weight of it, and it shot well for me, I had problems with the trigger pull going from single mode pull weight to double action mode pull weight for no known reason. It didn't do it all the time, just now and then type thing. Sent it back to Taurus, got the gun back with paperwork stating "FIXED". Back to the range and had the same problem. If I don't know what to expect from the trigger pull, I'm not going to carry it. Sold it and bought a Kahr CW9 and have never looked back or regretted it.

Compare the spec's on the CW40 Vs the 740 and they are almost identical. IMO the CW40 is a better deal.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I shot my buddy's PT740 quite a bit and I loved it. I've had a 709 for several years and would trade my 9mm for a 740 in a heart beat. I also have not heard any issues at all with the 740 (the early 709s seemed to have some issues, although mine is an early 709 and has over 2,000 flawless rounds through it).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Like archer51 I can't comment specifically on the .40 because I owned the 9mm version. Mine had to go back to the factory to have the extractor replaced but after that it ran well. The gun also carried and shot well. I ended up selling it as that was about the time I decided I didn't like manual thumb safety's. Would I recommend it? Honestly, no. I pretty much never recommend anything from Taurus. And before anyone jumps my hiney about that statement, those that have been around here for a while know I'm not a Taurus basher and I have owned quite a few. It's just at the end of the day I think there are other guns from other manufactures that tend to (in my experience) maintain higher QA then Taurus does for around the same price. That being said, your could definitely do worse then a 709/740.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Links