Interesting Malfunction

Interesting Malfunction

This is a discussion on Interesting Malfunction within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure what to think of this one. I was testing a box of Federal HST .45 230gr +P in my G30SF. Didn't expect any ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 10thmtn

Thread: Interesting Malfunction

Interesting Malfunction

Not sure what to think of this one.

I was testing a box of Federal HST .45 230gr +P in my G30SF. Didn't expect any problems concerning the ammo in my gun. However, at the end of one mag, the last round didn't feed. Was it a FTF... not really. The round was never stripped off the mag... because the slide locked back. It wasn't jammed back, but the slide stop caught it, like it was empty. This is how I found it... exactly

It wasn't touching the feed ramp. So it wasn't jammed. The slide just locked back... When I pulled the slide off the release to chamber it from that position, it didn't chamber. I couldn't get it to duplicate after multiple attempts. The rounds feed great. The recoil is pretty harsh with the 230gr +P HST rounds

My thought is, the magazine spring is weak, and under the recoil of these HST rounds, the round was bumped forward and the tip of the bullet touched the slide release where the magazine usually engages it, causing the slide to lock back. And typical for it to happen on the last round, where the spring pressure is at it's weakest. Also, the palm of my hand, the fat fleshy part of your thumb ever so slightly touches the release. I don't think that was a contributing factor, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Think it's a safe bet calling this a magazine issue? HST is expensive and hard to find. I don't think ammo was the issue. I'd hate to have to buy more boxes to test it :(

I haven't kept tack of the round count, but I'm sure it's 3000+. Some of the mags have been kept loaded for a long time, which shouldn't matter.

After some thought, I've been looking at my grip. When the gun recoils, it naturally flips up. When the muzzle flips up, the rear of the gun flips down. With any pressure on the slide release from my palm, the release is pushed upwards into the slide causing it to lock back.

I know there are after market extended slide release. I don't want one. I never have as I don't have a need for them. I had a problem once with my grip keeping the slide from locking on an empty mag because my thumb was resting on the release... (I since changed my grip). But are they any with a stiffer spring, requiring my force to engage it? My palm hardly rests on the release, but with recoil, I can see how it could cause this issue.

I've searched online and found others with the same problem. However, there problems were more consistent and ended up being a broken spring or pin. Nothing on mine is broken and everything works fine. I took the slide release out an inspected it. Thinking a stiffer spring on the release itself could help.

If this wasn't a carry gun, I couldn't care less. If this is a self-produced failure, then I admit fault. If it's mag related, easy fix. Slide release, again easy fix. With this being an inconsistent problem (only happened once), It's hard to find the cause. It's either a fluke and nothing is wrong, or it's the beginning of a problem.

I was about to suggest that your grip may be the cause, i.e., that inadvertent thumb location may be applying force to the slide release lever. Sometimes the support hand nudges the strong-hand thumb into doing things it shouldn't.

If you can, have a friend video you shooting and focus on your grip during the shot... that might be revealing. Meanwhile, I think replacing the slide release spring is a good idea given the round count and your penchant for robust loads.

One last thought - possibly the bullet shape itself is responsible for hitting the slide release. Without running to the safe to examine my G23, I'll just add that on 1911s sometimes certain bullet profiles can hit the slide release tab while feeding. Compare the shape of your problem ammo with some regular 230 FMJ and see if the HST stuff has a fatter profile closer to the nose of the bullet. If that's the case, then either judicious re-profiling of the slide lock tab or just changing ammo would be the cure.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Do you shoot thumbs up, or thumbs curled down?

I always shoot thumbs curled down, to keep them away from things like slide release levers.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why so many folks seem to want to shoot with their thumbs up, facing forward. I want all my digits well away from levers and things that move with great force and speed. Call me crazy I guess...
    1911srule likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I was about to suggest that your grip may be the cause, i.e., that inadvertent thumb location may be applying force to the slide release lever. Sometimes the support hand nudges the strong-hand thumb into doing things it shouldn't.

If you can, have a friend video you shooting and focus on your grip during the shot... that might be revealing. Meanwhile, I think replacing the slide release spring is a good idea given the round count and your penchant for robust loads.

One last thought - possibly the bullet shape itself is responsible for hitting the slide release. Without running to the safe to examine my G23, I'll just add that on 1911s sometimes certain bullet profiles can hit the slide release tab while feeding. Compare the shape of your problem ammo with some regular 230 FMJ and see if the HST stuff has a fatter profile closer to the nose of the bullet. If that's the case, then either judicious re-profiling of the slide lock tab or just changing ammo would be the cure.
    When both FMJ and HST rounds are pushed back into the magazine properly, neither of them touch the slide release. When they both nudged forward like my picture in the original post, they will Both bump into the slide release. I don't think I can blame the ammo.

This is my grip, left hand only.. I don't have three arms to take a good picture. And I don't feel like setting up my DSLR on my tripod.

You can see my palm is lightly resting on the release. This hasn't caused any problems until today. I'm thinking as the muzzle rises and the rear flips downward, my palm is pressing upward on the release JUST enough to engage it. My right hand thumb rests on my left thumb. It does not touch the release or gun in anyway. It's hard to tell if the grip is the cause as this has never happened until I tested this box of HST. But then again I can't find any reasoning as to how ammo caused this.

I continued shooting without changing my grip and the gun ran reliably until the end of my trip, even with HST.

I ordered another box of 230gr +P HST while I can get it.

I'm going to buy 2 more new mags, a factory non-extended slide release, and a recoil spring. I don't think a recoil spring has anything to do with it, but I figure while I'm getting parts.... it's good maintenance.

Sponsored Links