Just how accurate is a S&W M&P

This is a discussion on Just how accurate is a S&W M&P within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I keep looking for someone who has actrually wrung out a M&P to see how accurate they really are. So tired of reading of 12 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Just how accurate is a S&W M&P

I keep looking for someone who has actrually wrung out a M&P to see how accurate they really are. So tired of reading of 12 yard or even 5 yard groups. IMO you can't start talking about pistol accuracy until you get out to at least 25 yards. Does anyone have info. on 25 or 50 yard groups with this pistol?
    Thanks for looking, and best wishes.

Mine is a carry gun. I don't measure groups. It will hit an IDPA target center or head easily at 25 yards. This is not a match gun. It is a combat gun. So far as the Pro series, I do not know.
    tkruf likes this.

I didn't buy a Shield to shoot it over 15 yards. That is what my 1911 is for :)
    helderberg likes this.

My M&P 40c is super accurate with both 40 & 357sig out of the storm lake barrel I have... Great carry weapon.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

it really depends on the shooter

As accurate as you are...............
    Chevyguy85 likes this.

To measure accuracy "accurately" you would have to test the weapon bench mounted against others also bench mounted. As I have not done this, I cannot offer anything more than my opinion. So... Having just purchased an M&P 40 just this weekend and firing it alongside a Glock 19 and a Para GI Expert 1911 at 25 yards, here are my findings. Shooting without support, I was able to shoot groups of 4-6 inches with both the M&P and the Glock. Groups with the Para were more consistantly in the 4 inch range. These were slow fire, aimed shots. Firing at faster rates at that distance, I am lucky to hold an 8 inch group. I am sure there are others here that can shoot much better. My conclusion on this range session, for me, the M&P and the Glock were roughly equal in accuracy and the Para was best. My thinking is the trigger pull on the Para is the main difference.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

I am a huge S&W devotee for many reasons. One is because of their revolvers but another is strickly due to the M&P line. I carry the M&P 9c with CT grip and the bedside is the full size 9 with TLR light. My son shoots 40 cal in both his carry M&P and bedside full size. He competes in IDPA with the 40 C and holds his own with all comers. My wife shoots Glock 19 but feels she is more accurate with the M&P (we felt someone in the family needed to have a Glock and she was elected). The only handgun I shoot more accurately (out of many) is my S&W 1911 PD .45 ACP 5" and Buckmark .22. You can't go wrong with the M&P line. My wife, by the way is more accurate with her PM9 than her Glock, or my full size M&P, so it really is the shooter.

I can reliably hit 8 inch steel plates with my M&P Pro Series 9mm at 25 yards. If I miss, it's my fault, not the weapons. This isn't really the type of shooting I purchased the gun for, as others have already mentioned. This is my "run and gun" IPSC shooter, but is every bit as accurate as any other factory gun. This is also with cheap old WWB ammo, I'm sure this gun is capable of amazing groups if one was interested and wanted to run some black hills through it.
    FWIW, if I take my time I can run a plate rack down at 25 yards (8 inch plates) six rounds, six plates down.

Sooo... I can tell you it can reliably hit within 8 inches at 25 yards. I'm SURE it shoots better groups in that, but I shoot steel, not groups, unless I'm adjusting sights.

As you can tell from the number of responses most don't use this gun as a target pistol, but more of a combat/competition pistol.

OP, what is your mission with this pistol? Target practice? Self Defense? Concealed Carry? We may be able to better help you if we know what your going for.

Great replys, and if taken in the right light, each is appropriate. However, the real question for me is how accurate are thise pistols? Can the shoot a 1 or 2" 25 yard group? Can they made to be capable of such accuracy? Arguments can me made that an accuracate gun is a better defensive weapon than another, but that really has nothing to do with it. I like guns that make smaller groups. My 1911's are very capable weapons IMO, in part because they will hold a 2" or less 25 yard group.
    Do I really need that? No. Do I want that, Yes. Does that give me better protection? Don't really know cuz I've never needed to use one.
    I am just hoping to finde someone, somewhere who has rung a few of these out and can tell me on average, this is what they found.
    I keep looking for the same for the XD and while I have found some info. on the Glock I would like more.
    Please don't think I am trying to put down a 3 or 4" pistol. I just would rather own a 2" M&P than a 4".
    Your mileage may vary, and may we never have a need to find out on a real target.
    Thanks for looking and please share any suggestions you might have.

From the Shooting Times article Smith & Wesson M&P: A Semiautomatic Pistol Worthy Of It's Name Towards the bottom of the article.

Shooting the .40 S&W M&P Pistol
    Factory Load Muzzle Velocity (fps) 25-yard Accuracy (inches)
    Speer Lawman 125-gr. ZNT 980 3.50
    CorBon 140-gr. DPX 1231 2.50
    Remington 155-gr. JHP 1156 2.88
    PMC 165-gr. JHP 987 3.25
    Winchester 180-gr. SXT 966 2.68
    NOTES: Accuracy is the average of three five-shot groups fired from a sandbag benchrest at 25 yards. Velocity is the average of five rounds measured 15 feet from the gun’s muzzle.
    JD likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by golfer View Post
    Great replys, and if taken in the right light, each is appropriate. However, the real question for me is how accurate are thise pistols? Can the shoot a 1 or 2" 25 yard group? Can they made to be capable of such accuracy? Arguments can me made that an accuracate gun is a better defensive weapon than another, but that really has nothing to do with it. I like guns that make smaller groups. My 1911's are very capable weapons IMO, in part because they will hold a 2" or less 25 yard group.
    Do I really need that? No. Do I want that, Yes. Does that give me better protection? Don't really know cuz I've never needed to use one.
    I am just hoping to finde someone, somewhere who has rung a few of these out and can tell me on average, this is what they found.
    I keep looking for the same for the XD and while I have found some info. on the Glock I would like more.
    Please don't think I am trying to put down a 3 or 4" pistol. I just would rather own a 2" M&P than a 4".
    Your mileage may vary, and may we never have a need to find out on a real target.
    Thanks for looking and please share any suggestions you might have.
    I've had 2, 5", 9mm Pros, and a standard, .40.

One of the 5" Pros was horrible! On a good day, it might shoot 4" groups at 25 yards.

The other 2 would do under 2" at 25 yards, with ammo they liked, and 4-5" with ammo they didn't like. I did shoot the Pro at 50 yards once, and it wasn't anything impressive, but, with my failing eyesight, just seeing the target at 50 yards, over iron sights is a problem.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by golfer View Post
    I keep looking for someone who has actrually wrung out a M&P to see how accurate they really are. So tired of reading of 12 yard or even 5 yard groups. IMO you can't start talking about pistol accuracy until you get out to at least 25 yards. Does anyone have info. on 25 or 50 yard groups with this pistol?
    Thanks for looking, and best wishes.
    I'll almost guarantee it is more accurate than the person shooting it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Which caliber are you talking?
    Are you wanting to know about FS or compact?

If you want accurate go with .357 Sig.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I own an M&P R8s cousin. The 327 TRR8 which is a revolver. The gun is very accurate. I'm working on extending my range with it. At 10 yards I can get 8 rounds into a quarter sized hole all day long. At 20 yards my grouping is 6" which is something I'm working on with myself to improve. I'm still relatively new to using handguns though. I've only been shooting them seriously for the last couple of years despite owning a Ruger MK III that I shot occassionally for almost a decade now.

I'm a hunter that has converted from rifle shooting to using handguns though. I've been using long guns for over twenty years now.

When it comes to certain brands of firearms the question is not how accurate is the gun, but how well can you shoot it. Well, unless you find a round the gun does not like. Some firearms perform poorly with certain ammo types which is why testing different types of ammunition may need to be done assuming your mechanics are sound.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links