Glock Question

This is a discussion on Glock Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didn't find anything to help me out with this on search, so here goes. Do any of you left handed shooters have any problems ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock Question

Glock Question

I didn't find anything to help me out with this on search, so here goes.

Do any of you left handed shooters have any problems with Glocks? I'm thinking of possibly getting one (cheap 10mm), but I'm really apprehensive about buying handguns that aren't leftie friendly. It's the reason I ended up getting rid of my SIG.

I have shot them before and thought they shot well, but one of the two I fired would not fire (put a dent in the primer, but no bang) when being shot left handed. So, any other southpaws have any input?

2. Remove Ads

i'm lefty and I shoot a G17..no problem..the only issue is the mag release.I just use my weak hand and reach around the trigger guard.Some can use their trigger finger( I have arthritis so I can't).That's one good thing about glocks,no safties on the wrong side.as for the slide release,I use my trigger finger.Also there's tons of holsters available in lefty for the glocks.the only rounds I have ever seen not go off were Winclean.And these were guys shooting with the 3.5lb trigger.I have the stock 5lb and have never had a misfire or a jam for that matter.I say go for it!
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Not left-handed, but shoot weak hand drills all the time. I've personally never had a problem with the gun while shooting lefty. I have seen some glocks get a little finicky with limp wristing, but since I don't have that problem with either hand, I have never had one jam on me while shooting lefty. Hope this helps a little.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Yeah, helped. Would either of you say that changing magazines is easy to do (with some practice of course) keeping the pistol in your left hand?

The P239 felt like I was fumbling around to get the mag release and I usually just ended up fumbling around with both hands. It felt pretty messy. My Px4 on the other hand was pretty easy to do with it set for right handed and super easy when set for left handed.

Anyways, I don't want something that I can't reload pretty fast is what I'm getting at. I like the fact that Glocks are cheap and go bang every time. I don't care that they are ugly, I just don't want another handgun that makes me feel goofy to reload.

Like I said I use my right hand to drop the mag...It's fast enough that I made sharp shooter in IDPA.It' is a little slower than a righty can do it,but with practice it's not at all awkward.

Assistant Administrator
    Bud is a lefty and IIRC has Glock carried.

He can maybe throw in his 2c later today.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I believe Bud was carrying a 10mm Glock too so he should be able to give you some good info.
    Jack

lefty with a glock here, and i have zero problems ... changing a magazine is pretty quick using the middle finger, but it does require a good bit of practicing due to requiring fine motor skills.

IMHO you're going to just have to try it for yourself before really knowing how well it work for you, no matter what anyone here says.

I'm a righty, and I can hit the Glock mag release with my left trigger or middle finger, but I won't say I'm as good at it as I am with the pistol in my right hand. It's something I do need to practice more, since I don't want to be a dead stick if my right hand gets injured in a fight, or, if it's already injured some other way and I end up having to carry on the left side.

OTOH, you may want to consider the XDs and Walther P99/P99c pistols, which have ambi mag releases.

I am a lefty G23 shooter myself. Currently it is the only gun I own. I bought it because it was lefty "friendly". I use my trigger finger to drop the magazine and it works like a charm. As far as slide release, I just rack it with my right hand. In a training class recently we had to rack the slide open and use the catch to hold it in place. This was very difficult to do left handed. In fact I could not do it successfully and had to move the gun to my right hand to do it. Could not engage the slide lever with my left index finger and pull the slide back with my right hand and keep it all in place. Other than that, I have no problems being a lefty and my G23.

I have a Glock 29 (10MM) with the 357 Sig conversion BBL...........The gun has had NO problems. I'm also a Lefty, yet I carry Right handed. The Glock is a good gun, but if you're wishing a better suited handgun to support your personal needs...........consider a HK P2000, 2000SK, or USP with Lefty conrtols ........Either those, or a Walther/Smith P99 series...........Hope this helps..
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Thanks everyone for the tips. I think it might be what I end up purchasing. Sometimes it's a lot of fun being a lefty in a right handed world.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    I have a Glock 29 (10MM) with the 357 Sig conversion BBL...........The gun has had NO problems. I'm also a Lefty, yet I carry Right handed. The Glock is a good gun, but if you're wishing a better suited handgun to support your personal needs...........consider a HK P2000, 2000SK, or USP with Lefty conrtols ........Either those, or a Walther/Smith P99 series...........Hope this helps..
    None of those models are available in 10mm though are they? That's why I was considering Glock, it's pretty much the cheapest 10mm I've seen and would be reliable. I'm usually not a fan of caliber wars in the slightest, but I have to admit the 10mm has peaked my interest. So, I want to try it for myself, but I didn't want to buy a handgun that I wouldn't carry because I'd feel like I need 3 hands to change magazines. Or also something so expensive that if it doesn't do the job for me, it just sits in the safe.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Thanks everyone for the tips. I think it might be what I end up purchasing. Sometimes it's a lot of fun being a lefty in a right handed world.

None of those models are available in 10mm though are they? That's why I was considering Glock, it's pretty much the cheapest 10mm I've seen and would be reliable. I'm usually not a fan of caliber wars in the slightest, but I have to admit the 10mm has peaked my interest. So, I want to try it for myself, but I didn't want to buy a handgun that I wouldn't carry because I'd feel like I need 3 hands to change magazines. Or also something so expensive that if it doesn't do the job for me, it just sits in the safe.
    there is a "compact" glock in 10mm -> G29. i've never shot one, but i have shot the g30 (same size in 45acp). it's ample, but controllable.

HTH

-e5t

Quote Originally Posted by keydet90 View Post
    As far as slide release, I just rack it with my right hand. In a training class recently we had to rack the slide open and use the catch to hold it in place. This was very difficult to do left handed. In fact I could not do it successfully and had to move the gun to my right hand to do it. Could not engage the slide lever with my left index finger and pull the slide back with my right hand and keep it all in place. Other than that, I have no problems being a lefty and my G23.
    AroTek makes the best carry slide release for Glocks. I have a lefty friend (who does not like Glocks), but was elated with the Aro on mine, in comparison to his earlier experiences.

I don't seem to have a problem releasing the slide w/ my trigger finger,or locking it back either....I just pull the slide back w/ my right hand and "sweep" the slide release up with my left trigger finger.I use this method on all autos and it works for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links