Cleaning around firing pin?

This is a discussion on Cleaning around firing pin? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am still new to this. thank you all for your help so far!! I am qurious on how to clean around the firing pin? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cleaning around firing pin?

Cleaning around firing pin?

I am still new to this. thank you all for your help so far!! I am qurious on how to clean around the firing pin? i notice with my glock 23 the firing pin is actually sticking out unlike my taraus when cleaning. You arnt supoose to get any oil on the firing pin right? That area around the firing pin seems to bug me a bit.

Thank You
    Paul

2. Remove Ads

On a glock, you can pull out the striker assembly and clean the firring pin channel. I use a "Fuzzy Stick" or what they called pipe cleaners back when I was in elementary school making arts and crafts out of them. I also wipe down the tip of the striker.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

NEVER put oil on the firing pin. As for the cleanliness of your Glock, here's a fun fact: someone fired 14,000 rounds through a Glock 19 in 20 minutes. Never a failure. The cleaning you give your gun after your trip to the range is just for fun really. I'm not saying proper gun care isn't important or that Glocks never need to be cleaned. But you don't have to eat off of them. I hit that area with Qtips and a hard bristled toothbrush. You will never get rid of some of the burn marks, but just clean off the carbon residue. You'll know you're done when you can run a white Qtip over the area and it stays white.
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

i will get to that eventually. i know you need a punch tool to do it right? is there another way to clean around the firing pin without taking the entire slide apart? again i a just talking about the carbon that build up around it on the slide itself. does it void your warrenty taking it apart like that?

Walden just q tips and a brush no oil at all?

I've had guns for years and shot thousands of rounds with no firing pin issues,IMHO if your firing pin starts getting carboned up enough you can start getting light primer strikes,worst case scenario is the firing pin will stick out of the breech face and as the gun chambers the next round you get a slam fire.
    If you want peace of mind and are able to disassemble and reassemble the slide then once a month or every 1000 rounds pull the firing pin out and clean it and the channel,then reinsert clean dry pin back into clean dry channel and reassemble.

Most firing pins have a block in the slide that needs to be pushed up, then you can push on the back of the firing pin to get it to stick out thru the breech face,holding it in that position use a brush and scrub and wipe the tip off.that will eliminate stripping the whole slide,you can also function test it like that,pushing on the pin and letting it move back and forth can allow you to detect if there is any thing that feels like its causing it to be a little "sticky".
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by paulb787 View Post
    i will get to that eventually. i know you need a punch tool to do it right? is there another way to clean around the firing pin without taking the entire slide apart? again i a just talking about the carbon that build up around it on the slide itself. does it void your warrenty taking it apart like that?

Try a little alcohol on a Q tip. Takes off the carbon without dropping oil on or around the firing pin.

yes and i will do that or i will pay a gunsmith to do it after a 100 rounds or so but the gun has only 300 rouns through it. so i just want to do something quick. i am running around the firing pin know with a qtip and getting some off. how do i run a brush around it? is there a way to get the firing pin back in? when i clean my taraus the firing pin doesnt stick out like that. Is it ok to brush over the firing pin?

No need to pay a gunsmith for this!! Put the slide front site down. Use a stiff nylon brush or stiff toothbrush to scrub that area. This way nothing drips into the hole. Detail stripping that slide is also a piece of cake if you really want to be anal about it (plenty of youtube video's on how to do that). However, its a Glock, and as ugly and goofy as they are, (Flame on!!!!) you wont hurt it!!

I usually just rub some dirt on mine and it keeps on ticking.

In all seriousness though, you're over thinking, and being overly cautious. There's plenty of vids on YouTube that will give you step by step instructions on breaking down the slide.

I've shot my Glocks without cleaning for several shooting sessions and they never fail. I worry more about maintaining clean magazines. When I do clean a Glock, I just make sure the firing pin moves and is not broken. I work a little Breakfree in then wipe it off. Beware that too much of certain solvents/lubes can potentially get into your primer if you tend to keep the same cartridge in the chamber for a while. I only strip a Glock down once in a blue moon. You're not cleaning a baby! And it's a Glock, not a Taurus.

Quote Originally Posted by Walden View Post
    NEVER put oil on the firing pin. As for the cleanliness of your Glock, here's a fun fact: someone fired 14,000 rounds through a Glock 19 in 20 minutes. Never a failure. The cleaning you give your gun after your trip to the range is just for fun really. I'm not saying proper gun care isn't important or that Glocks never need to be cleaned. But you don't have to eat off of them. I hit that area with Qtips and a hard bristled toothbrush. You will never get rid of some of the burn marks, but just clean off the carbon residue. You'll know you're done when you can run a white Qtip over the area and it stays white.
    Just out of curiosity.

There are 1200 seconds in 20 minutes.

Firing 14,000 rounds in 20 minutes would be 11.6 rounds/second, or 700 rounds/minute.

Which would mean someone fire a magazine fed, semi-automatic pistol at a higher rate of fire than the cyclic rate for a M-60 machine gun, and higher than the M-2. Both of which are fully automatic, and belt fed, meaning time isn't needed for magazine changes, because you can just keep linking belts.

And this doesn't take into account the extreme heat that would be generated from prolonged firing at such a high rate. Do you happen to have a reference as to who conducted this testing?

OP, if you are really concerned about it, take apart the slide.
    Walden likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have to clean my Glock????

Who knew.....
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Walden View Post
    Well said. I use Gunscrubber(synthetic safe) to clean the nooks and crannies in the slide and the frame as it will not harm polymer. I also use a pipe cleaner(soaked with gunscrubber) to clean the firing pin channel and under the extractor. Granted, I don't shoot alot but just enough to keep my skills in check so my firearms really don't get a heavy build-up of powder residue.

Quote Originally Posted by paulb787 View Post

Complete teardown doesn't void your warranty, but I wouldn't do it. You don't really need to strip your slide until after at least 5,000 rounds.

I use Qtips and rubbing alcohol. See this video: Glock Cleaning Basics - YouTube

Just remember, you can't really mess up cleaning a Glock. Just don't over-oil it. They enjoy running dry, so don't worry.
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Most people are not aware of the Glock cleaning requirement...after every 2,000,000 round, the gun MUST be cleaned.

No oil on the firing pin...
    Walden and gator15 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links