Sig p238 vs. Kahr p380

This is a discussion on Sig p238 vs. Kahr p380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am torn between the Sig p238 and the Kahr for CCW. I would like to get some feedback from the members on which gun ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Sig p238 vs. Kahr p380

Sig p238 vs. Kahr p380

I am torn between the Sig p238 and the Kahr for CCW. I would like to get some feedback from the members on which gun they would recommend. Please don't sugar coat your comments, I am looking for the truth about the two offerings. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by safetymancsp View Post
    I am torn between the Sig p238 and the Kahr for CCW. I would like to get some feedback from the members on which gun they would recommend. Please don't sugar coat your comments, I am looking for the truth about the two offerings. Thanks.
    I have never had a P238 but I had a P380 for a few months. I could never get it to function reliably. I put around 500 rds thru it. I buffed and polished the ramp edges and smoothed some areas that looked knicked. But eventually sold it because it was not reliable. I hear they have gotten better and I have had great luck with my CW9. So just a little feedback on the one I had for you to consider.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

Owned both, my Kahr was a lemon. Never would run a magazine without an issue (different types of ammo) not a fun gun to shoot at all. Got full trade value towards the Sig. Had the P238 for about 9 months without issue (did not like Gold Dots though). Was nice to actually shoot, night sights standard.

i was extremely interested in the Kahr p380 when it first came out,but most all the information and reports i gathered seemed to indicate the little .380 has been plagued with reliability problems since being released..maybe Kahr has fixed the issues,i don't know but i bought the LCP instead and its been flawless..

I too prefer the LCP but... if you're planning on pocket carrying, the Kahr is probably the way to go. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a single action cocked and locked in my pocket. Too much lint and gunk could interfere with the hammer.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

KSP
    I had to send mine in to the factory twice (frustrating, to say the least). It's a great great gun if you get a good one, or if you get it fixed. Excellent trigger, very accurate, light, and a soft shooter. It just depends on if they worked out the bugs.

Love my SIG. Put a couple hundred rounds through it this weekend. Ran just fine. Mag spring is plenty tight when new, and prefers 5+1, not 6+1. Then it loosens up and is just fine. Cocked and locked in my pocket doesn't worry me.

I know very little about the p380, but my p238 has been great to me.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I have two p238's it's one of my favorite carry's on my side right now as I just finished walking the dog and carry while in the house guns 003.JPG.jpg I did have to send this one in for a new spring it was looking back after ever shoot sig send me a RMA with free shipping and returned it to me in two weeks never had an issue since... very accurate, light weight, night sights come standard, shoots every kind of ammo, of 500 rounds without a FTF or FTE since being returned.. a liitle to big for a jean pocket carry but works great in an IWB holster or pocket of cargo shorts...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

I have a Kahr CM9 which I like a lot , but I have a love affair with my P238. Go with the Sig. Its accurate, smooth and will inspire confidence , and it runs like a Swiss watch ( pun partially intended )

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Love, love, love my P238. Would like to see more holsters for it though.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

i have the kahr and it has been a problem. heard the newer ones are better. i would take a look at the kel tec p3at and the ruger lcp. i carry the p3at. like it the best.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

The two companies are light years apart in quality of build and reliability. Plus, if you look at the pricing of comparable pistols between the two companies, Kahr prices their firearms as though they were of the same quality as Sig. Pass on the Kahr and go with the Sig........ And yes, I have owned Kahrs and they have been problematic. Don't have them anymore. Go with Sig, it's a worldclass company building quality firearms.

Sig all the way. I love my P238

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    stancehold likes this.

I don't, nor I have I ever owned the Kahr P380, but I do own a few 9mm kahrs and all are nice shooters with no problems at all. However, if I had to pick one over the other I'd go for the Sig every time. My two sigs are just awesome as far as .380s go. My newest P238 Extreme is absolutely perfect. I ran a couple hundred rounds thru it the other day and walked away very please with it's performance. While I'll admit there's better fight stoppers out there, if you can put one or two good .380 rounds where it counts, it'll do the job. Go with the Sig, you wont be disappointed.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links