Need Help Deciding

Need Help Deciding

This is a discussion on Need Help Deciding within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings! In my line of work, I tend to carry medium sums of cash (vending and gaming machines) around, often late at night. I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need Help Deciding

Need Help Deciding

Greetings!

In my line of work, I tend to carry medium sums of cash (vending and gaming machines) around, often late at night. I have a conceal permit, but my two current pistols (Glock 23 and a Kimber CDP Pro) are not the easiest to conceal. Now with warmer weather is approaching, I want something slim and small enough to wear IWB.

After a mild hair-raising experience a couple weeks back, I've decided its time to start carrying a CCW, full-time.

Originally, I was looking at a small "pocket" pistol such as the Ruger LCP, S&W BG380, and the KelTec's .380's. However, after a couple visits to local gun stores, as well as online research, I've decided that I'd rather have the extra power of the 9mm. I am settled on the 9mm.

Which leads me to my main question: I am torn between several different models and could use some help, making my decision. Below are the models that I am looking at: (listed in order of how I am leaning):

- Sig Sauer P290
    - Kahr PM9
    - Beretta Nano
    - Walther PPS

I was just about sold on the Sig, as I love the design, but I'm not crazy about the 9lb trigger. Also, now that the "Double Strike" capability has been added, did they ease up the trigger? Is the trigger adjustable? Are there any/many after-market accessories available for this model? I am also confused as to the 6-round magazine design. Pictures on the web (as shown with the "Diamond Plate" edition) show two different magazine designs. I'd prefer the design with the pinky rest.

I am not very familiar with Kahr and my only experience with Walther is the P22 and Beretta, the 92. Both are fine weapons.

What are your thoughts / critiques / suggestions? I am keeping an open mind and could really use some input.

Thanks in advance!

Re,
    ~WC~

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    If you're interested in those guns, then consider the M&P Shield. It just came out. It is getting excellent reviews. Watch Hickok45's video on YouTube in which he reviews the Shield and compares it other sub compact pistols. If you like the Walther PPS, he says you will like Shield even better.

M&P Shield - YouTube
    FLArmadillo likes this.

You might also consider a Glock 19 or 26. The standard magazine in the 19 holds 15 rounds of 9mm and the "baby Glock" 26 holds 10. Unsurpassed reliability and excellent capacity for their size - a hard combination to beat. Either can easily be carried IWB. For me the grip on the 19 fits my hand better.
    Diddle likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    That's a really tough question. But, for what it's worth, I carry a full size 1911 IWB and only the people who know I carry know it's there.

A buddy of mine bought a P290 for his wife and she loves it. I trust his judgement when it comes to handguns, and his wife isn't as into shooting as we are, but she gave a glowing review of her Sig. Sig makes some great stuff, and based on their reviews, I would have to recommend the Sig.

I've not really looked at/handled any of the ones you mentioned, unless you count the Sccy since I've heard that it's pretty much a Kahr.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Each of the models you mentioned are fine guns, and for concealability keep with single stacks models, and find one that suits you best.

Out of the gun you listed my first choice would be the PM9 followed by the PPS. The Kahr is a slim, accurate, great shooting gun and a breeze to conceal. The PPS is a wee bit bigger. In my opnion the 290 and the Nano haven't been out long enough to be trusted. I would however echo what another poster said. Id also look at a Glock 26. It's a bit more weight and a bit wider but your also getting another 3-4 rounds compared against the other guns you have listed along with Glock rock solid dependability. You could also look at the M&P shield however again, although inital reports have been good it's only been out for a week or so and my personal rule is not to buy anything thing that hasn't been out for at least 6.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

You already have a Glock 23 - consider the G27.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    You already have a Glock 23 - consider the G27.
    I vote G27 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the fast response and useful information.

I was originally looking at the small .380's but decided that the extra power provided by the 9mm would be worth sacrificing the lextra girth. As proven as the Glock 26 is, I'm afraid that its just too wide for my body size and shape. Therefor unfortunately, the Glock 26, 27, and 36 are just not going to work for me. (Note: I keep a Glock 23, w/ HC magazines in the center console of my truck.)

As some of you have suggested, I went and looked at the M&P Shield today. Overall, I like the form-factor, size, and shape. Over the years I've had several S&W "wheeled" guns but never a semi-automatic design. I'm just not a big fan.

That said, after a few discussions and additional research, I have eliminated the Walther from my list. Much to my chagrin, none of the gun ranges in my area have the Sig or Beretta available to test-fire. I'm going to have to make this decision by recommendation only.

Since the Kahr has been out longer than the P290 and Nano, I am leaning toward its favor. But right now, I'm still undecided...

Any specific thoughts regarding the PM9, P290, and Nano?

Thanks again!
    ~WC~
    Last edited by WildCotton; April 24th, 2012 at 08:53 PM.

So wait (because I'm going to look at one on Friday), why are you counting the M&P Shield out?

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    A Glock G26 (9mm) or G27 (.40) might be a viable option for you. Just a suggestion...
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

i carry Springfield XDM 45 3.8, and I have a Springfield XDS 45 sub compact single stack on order

VIP Member
    My .45 was a hassle to edc until I got a holster that worked, the Brommeland Max-Con V. Since then, I have carried my Kimber, Glocks, and PM9 all without issue. I wound up selling my PM9 because I really don't need it anymore, and I was able to work out a mutually-sweet deal on it. If you do go with the PM9, I have a very slightly-worn Max-Con V for sale which was made for it. Here is a video featuring PM9 and Glock 19 holsters. The Brommeland Max-Con V, (arguably) The Best IWB Holster On The Planet - YouTube
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

FLArmadillo,
    I haven't completely ruled the Shield out, but it isn't very high on my list. S&W has certainly muddied the waters of my decisions by releasing it. A major concern I have is how relatively new the pistol is in the market. I've never been comfortable "beta testing" products in general. I'd much rather it be out for a year or so, to get the kinks and bugs out. That being said, I', aware that the Shield is basically a smaller version of an existing design.

I've noticed that the sales associates at the gun shops are really pushing the Shield. Its either a really good pistil or S&W is running a promotion in attempt to push them in the market.

Re,
    ~WC~

why isn't glock 26 on your list? it's got everything you want, fire power, ergonomic grip (palmswell), 5.5 lb trigger, and srikerfire set up and best of all compact

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links