LCR pocket carry

This is a discussion on LCR pocket carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am seriously considering an LCR to add to my stable. My preffered method of carry is pocket carry. I can easily pocket carry my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: LCR pocket carry

Question LCR pocket carry

I am seriously considering an LCR to add to my stable. My preffered method of carry is pocket carry. I can easily pocket carry my LCP in all clothing. I have a harder time pocket carrying my LC9 because of the added size and weight.

I often wear workout/sweat pants and shorts that have elastic waiste bands so that is where the extra weight issue comes into play. When I'm wearing pants/shorts with a belt the weight issue really isn't much of a problem.

Soooo...My real question is how easy is the LCR (38+p) to pocket carry? I want the 38 version because those extra 4 ounces in the 357 version can make a big difference in the pocket.

Any advice or info would be appreciated.

edit: Can anyone tell me the weight of the standard LCR when loaded?
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

2. Remove Ads

Elastic pants?

Get a Smartcarry...and carry whatever you want in it.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I really want to keep it in my pocket so I'm not very interested in a smart carry or any other system than a pocket holster.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Mikas(?) pocket holsters are great. I've had one for years and it stays put when drawing. He's an ex-LEO and will treat you right. Good luck. Also, my DeSantis "PH" is great, too!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I'm partial to RKBAholsters.com but thanks for the suggestions.

Any opinions about how the LCR pocket carries is appreciated.

Sounds like weight is more of an issue for you (due to the elastic pants) than size is. That's why I suggested the Smartcarry - it supports the weight, instead of your pants.

The LCR weighs more empty than your LCP does loaded. I'd suggest just putting something that weighs 14-15 oz in your sweat pants pocket, and see what it does. If your pants start to fall down, then you know the LCR would be a no-go.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

If you have big pockets it wouldn't be a problem carrying the LCR. One thing about pocket 38's, they are not the thinnest weapon you can choose for that role. I have the LCR and a S&W642 and they will fit into my jeans pocket in my Mika holster, but if you look close you can see the bulge. To me, I'm willing to trade the reliability and shootability of a 38 revolver over the thinner 380's or 9mm's that fit pockets, but may have reliability "challenges."

As far as the Ruger in 357mag vs 38+p you'll have to go to a range and rent the mag revolver and shoot it and see if you like it. To me a 38 spl +p in a 13.5oz revolver (Ruger LCR) has enough recoil for my tastes. And.....there are some excellent defensive 38 loads out there.....I carry the 135gr. Speer Gold Dot for short barrels in my Ruger.

One final comment regarding the Ruger revolver vs Smith and Wesson revolvers. For me, the Ruger is preferred primarily due to the excellent trigger right out of the box. My 642 is shootable, but the trigger is not near as good as the Ruger. The Ruger is also lighter than the 642, but only by an ounce or so....
    Philly Boy likes this.

i own both the LCP/LCR and carry both comfortably in Desantis Nemesis pocket holsters..i also prefer pocket carry and have no problem carrying the LCR in the front pocket all day,the problem is after carring the LCP for so long,everything else feels kinda big and heavy even though the LCR really isn't "big and heavy"..i have noticed though when you regularly carry the LCR,you get use to it and forget it's even there..so if your looking for something that has more power then the LCP for pocket carry,the LCR would be a perfect choice..hope this was helpful.
    Philly Boy likes this.

KSP
    LCR is great for pocket carry, and it's a great gun overall. Personally I load it with federal standard pressure nyclads and recoil is no big deal. As others have said, the trigger is outstanding. One holster I recommend is a stoner leather pocket holster. It's ultra thin and well built, and it makes the LCR even easier to pocket carry.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Sounds like weight is more of an issue for you (due to the elastic pants) than size is. That's why I suggested the Smartcarry - it supports the weight, instead of your pants.

The LCR weighs more empty than your LCP does loaded. I'd suggest just putting something that weighs 14-15 oz in your sweat pants pocket, and see what it does. If your pants start to fall down, then you know the LCR would be a no-go.

Go get 2 - $10 roll of quarters and this will weigh right around 16 ounces or 8 ounces per $10 roll. As 10thmtn suggested put it in your pocket and this will simulate the weight of the pistol. I hope this helps. God Bless

DC
    I have no problem carrying my LCR .38 in jeans or shorts all day as long as the pocket is deep enough. I wear xlarge shirts so that the length covers the bulge from the Hogue grip.

I can see sweats being a problem due to the waistband providing little to no support for any weight in the pockets.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    The LCR will fit in my pockets but it prints like crazy. The Sig P238 was much easier to pocket carry. I regret selling it.

That being said, the LCR has a huge following here on the forum. I love mine.

GoBigOrange: DITTO PLUS 2!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I sometimes carry my LCR .38 in my pocket with a FIST #K5 holster. Works great.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

I don't have anything fancy for the LCR, just an Uncle Mike's #4 pocket holster. It works great with most pants. I carried it with shorts last night in the pocket, no problems. I'm carrying it today in my Dockers pants pocket. When I'm sitting, the butt might be visible from behind me. But I'm behind a desk, so no problems there. Standing, it's invisible. In fact, I'm finding this gun has become my EDC. When I'm wearing a jacket, I'll wear it on a belt holster just for ease of access. On hot days like today, or causal wear, I'll put it in the pocket.

I have the whole trio of Ruger's LC's. I find I gravitate more towards the LCR than the other two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links