I just bought a Kahr CM9...Tell me the good, the bad and the ugly.

This is a discussion on I just bought a Kahr CM9...Tell me the good, the bad and the ugly. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been compairing for over a month and went to the shop today to lay some $ down on a Taurus TCP. I made the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I just bought a Kahr CM9...Tell me the good, the bad and the ugly.

I just bought a Kahr CM9...Tell me the good, the bad and the ugly.

I've been compairing for over a month and went to the shop today to lay some $ down on a Taurus TCP.
    I made the poor guy behind the counter pull every little gun he had and ended up buying a Kahr CM9.
    What I 've read and seen on reviews the Kahrs are supposed to be a higher end gun. But the CM9 is
    the lower priced. If you own or have owned one please share your opinion on the CM9, good or bad.

2. Remove Ads

The good : great gun IMHO
    The bad : small gun kicks and is LOUD
    the ugly: when you carry it iwb for a couple of weeks and it rusts!

the reality of Kahr is either it is great out of the box or you're going to need to send it back for fixing.
    Crescentstar likes this.

The only bad that I know of is that sometimes the magazines can be a problem and in my opinion are the weak point of all Kahrs. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    the reality of Kahr is either it is great out of the box or you're going to need to send it back for fixing.
    Mine was the latter. But since it came back has been flawless with over 300 rounds. Although I did have 1 ftf i attribute it to the 7 round mag as when i looked in the chamber the bullet was pointing down. Otherwise very happy with it. Even though i paid the extra cash to ship it back

I had one, not a bad little gun I just didn't like the loooonnnng trigger pull and the poor quality magazines. I bought a Smith and Wesson M&P 9c that became my everyday carry and has a great trigger. I ended up selling my CM9 and bought the M&P 45c to carry in the cooler months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Philly Boy likes this.
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

my karr is the cw9 and has been perfect from day one, other folks have had to send em back for this and that, just dont be in a hurry to get rid of it, it will make a nice gun.

So you bought the gun, but want opinions after the fact?

I'm a kahr fan, and own more than a few, but you're reasoning/timeline seems a bit skewed.

my dad carries that every day and the only bad is take down and slide stop and slide serations
    do not morne death but celebrate life

Good: Perfect size for well CCW be it pocket carry or IWB. Sights are actually useable. 9MM.

Bad: Junk *** Magazines. Recoil can be a little snappy. Trigger is revolver like.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    So you bought the gun, but want opinions after the fact?

I'm a kahr fan, and own more than a few, but you're reasoning/timeline seems a bit skewed.
    Well after handling about 15 little guns I went by what felt best.
    The things that made me get thae Kahr are...
    1. Made in USA
    2. 9mm,
    3. Small size but still felt good in my hand, yet small enough to pocket carry
    4. Nice visable sights
    5. Trigger. actually felt better than all except the TCP

I shoot alot and know the little guy is going to be snappy. I don't think it'll be as bad as my .44 mag.!
    I just didn't hear or see to much negative feed backs on Kahrs. Being that the world isn't perfect, I thought
    I'd ask this forum to find any potential flaws I need to watch for. Thanks for the opinions so far.

I replaced a Keltec P32 with this gun so I gained usable sights, much more horsepower and a much smoother trigger.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I thought I'd ask this forum to find any potential flaws I need to watch for.
    * Some Kahr slide slice off tiny pieces of polymer from the frame at first. Ignore this, it isn't a problem.
    * The striker channel accumulates tiny brass flecks. This is also normal and not a concern.
    * Read the manual, the Kahrs are just different from some other guns to count.
    * All 9mm Kahr mags will work in your Kahr.
    * The mag base plates, either polymer or metal, are not flush. That's normal.
    * A little loctite will keep the front sight tight should it loosen up.
    * Many people add a grip sleeve for a more firm grasp. I'm one that likes a finger bump on my polymer Kahrs.
    * Kahrs work well when lubed well.

Enjoy your new CM9
    CARRY365 likes this.

I've had mine for a few months now and have several hundred rounds down range. For the life of me I can't find any cons other then the break in that's needed for the mags as well as the pistol itself. However, any auto really should have at least a couple hundred rounds run through it before you call it ready for duty..

Also MO, that it's a better value over the PM9 version. I have key holed several shots with it during practice which tells me that the "match grade barrel" really is just a perk that's not a necessity for accuracy, and the roll marks, who gives a hoot, it's defense gun not a show piece. I'd say enjoy your good decision and be sure to practice with it and give it a good break in, then judge it for yourself. JMO, YMMV
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I've had mine for a few months now and have several hundred rounds down range. For the life of me I can't find any cons other then the break in that's needed for the mags as well as the pistol itself. However, any auto really should have at least a couple hundred rounds run through it before you call it ready for duty..

Also MO, that it's a better value over the PM9 version. I have key holed several shots with it during practice which tells me that the "match grade barrel" really is just a perk that's not a necessity for accuracy, and the roll marks, who gives a hoot, it's defense gun not a show piece. I'd say enjoy your good decision and be sure to practice with it and give it a good break in, then judge it for yourself. JMO, YMMV
    Thanks Ripley. Good info!

Ya, I'm not worrued about roll marking. Mine be scratched up from whatever else might be in my pocket at the time.
    Thanks guys.

Ive had mine about three weeks and put around 400 rounds thru it with several nose dives. It likes Gold Dots and Federal FMJ's the best. Quality ammo definitely works best in it. The issues I had were with all three mags, 6,7 and 8 rounders. I traded in a Kel Tec P11 on it and that was a great decision. Love shooting the CM9.
    Use wisely your power of choice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links