glock vs 1911

This is a discussion on glock vs 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i have owned and shot glocks for over a year the g19 is my fav but i have got a ati gsg 1911 22lr and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: glock vs 1911

glock vs 1911

i have owned and shot glocks for over a year the g19 is my fav but i have got a ati gsg 1911 22lr and have shot it many times but with my g19 it is difficult but i can hit a bowling pin at 60 yards and today i was shooting the 1911 and i hit the bowling pin at 60 yards one handed it is alot more acurate than the g19 so what im asking is a 9mm 1911 or 45 the same or is a glock more acurate thanks for your time
    do not morne death but celebrate life

2. Remove Ads

I'm going with the .45acp............saw L. Vickers hit steel plate reactionary target with a 1911 at 25, 50, 75 & 100 yards......off hand.

I just got done listening to a Handgun World Podcast on this very topic. Jon Hodoway (instructor with Massad Ayoob Group) takes the stance that the 1911 will ALWAYS beat ANY polymer gun, after the proper training, of course.

It is episode 139, and here is the website, in case you are interested.

Handgun World Podcast
    glock42 likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

A 1911 trigger is phenomenal... my little 3" is easier to get in the "zone" than any polymer I've owned. YMMV
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Can't compare the two very well. The 1911 is a single action. With a good trigger it is lighter, shorter length of pull, and breaks cleanly. The Glock is built for safety (i.e. police/military) with a heavier and longer pull with the striker fired action. If you learn where it breaks, then you'll shoot it better. An accurate 1911 with a good trigger is a dream to have at a 25yd or 50yd range (I once had a Gold Cup). But Glocks are more than adequate for defensive handgun distances. If both are fired from a machine rest, my guess would be little practical difference at ordinary defensive distances. Unless if using an accurized 1911. Even stock S&W .357mg or .44mag revolvers with a 6" barrel in SA mode can shoot more accurately than a Glock and a 1911 at ranges beyond 50yds because of the trigger, flatter shooting cartridge, and added sight radius.

i have steel targets so i can not shoot at 5-7 yards i want accuracy at 25 to 60 yards i am trying to decide which i would like better and my bugget is about 550 to 650 $ is the remington ri a good option

There are those who say that the sun rises and sets with Herr Gaston Glock. And Glocks are plenty accurate. I shoot with an ICE officer who can make his 19 darn near deal cards. But Glocks are designed for flawless reliability, and the design obviously succeeded. But the 1911 lends itself to incredible accuracy, much more so than the Glock. This is not to malign Glocks (don't start), as they are accurate in their own right. I'd say that the 1911 will whip a Glock for sheer accuracy. As stated above, two different tools.

thanks im leaning towards a 1911

"The Glock is built for safety (i.e. police/military) with a heavier and longer pull with the striker fired action."

This is the part that my little pea-brain just can't wrap itself around. Why deliberately carry a semi-automatic pistol with such a trigger in the first place when, with the use of a simple safety lever, one can enjoy excellent control of the 1911 pistol and take advantage of its wonderful trigger? The DAO designs appear to compel the user to "back into" a self-defense shooting by making the trigger needlessly cumbersome.

No thanks. I can do without that measure of safety. Others love them though.
    multistage and flagflyfish like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The Glock is built for safety (i.e. police/military) with a heavier and longer pull
    The 1911 was also built for safety (i.e. police/military). but the expectations of the shooter at that timer were different than today.

The 1911 has a manual safety, a grip safety, and a trigger.

A Glock has a trigger.

That's why the 1911 trigger blows the Glock out of the water. The Glock's trigger IS the safety, by design.

I can shoot my 1911's more accurate than any poly gun I own.
    Remember, Life is not like a box of chocolate's.. It's more like a jalapeno pepper, because what you decide upon today can really burn your butt tomorrow..

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I am capable of being more accurate with a 1911 than a Glock, so I would be more inclined to tote a 1911, of the two choices, all else being equal. In force-on-force training with "sim" Glocks, however, I have noticed how well Glocks handle for me, during fast and desperate shooting, particularly when shooting left-handed. I am thinking a Glock to be a good back-up for a 1911, and I am not just meaning a small hide-out type of back-up. A full-sized pistol, kept in a "war bag" or "Mumbai bag" can also be a back-up.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Comparing a 9mm or 45acp 1911 to a 22lr 1911 is difficult at best, for obvious reasons. One of which being accuracy at 60 yards.

The 22lr is a flatter trajectory round and will usually give you better accuracy at greater distances. I can't answer your question based on this comparison. I can, however, say that in my experiences my 1911s have been/are more accurate than the Glocks I've owned (17 & 29).

The Glock is no different than a 1911 in that out of the box some are more accurate than others. 1911s can be tuned for better accuracy and maybe Glocks can be too (ask a Glock person because I don't know).

With regards to flatter trajectory, a lighter and faster round will help here.
    Old School likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

mkh
    While the 1911 is probably inheritantly more accurate that applies to a quality gun. If you are going with a 1911 make sure that you choose one that is tight as some of the cheaper ones are pretty loose and can suffer from accuracy problems. I suggest you don't limit yourself and try lots of different 1911s until you find one you like.

As for my, my EDC is a Sig Ultra and I am very happy with its accuracy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links