Defensive Carry banner

Steyr M-A1

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  srfl 
#1 ·
Talk about a nice gun! Picked it up yesterday and took it to the range today. Put 280 rounds through it without any problems.
The Steyr sights take a little bit of getting used to but they seem to be a really nice concept when it comes to quick aim.

Anyone else got an M-A1? Oh yeah, btw mine is 9mm

#2 ·
I don't....yet, but I do own nine (yes nine) M and S series guns. One of my S40's was one of my regular CCWs; one of my M9's is my dedicated "game gun."

I plan on purchasing one (or more) S-A1 series guns when they come out.

#4 ·
Something that just struck me is that there is really only the trigger safety on the gun. I was slowly getting used to the idea that my XD's have both the trigger and grip safeties I should be fine carrying them with a round in the chamber I find that the Steyr doesn't have the grip safety! While I really like that gun I must say that that is dissapointing.

#5 ·
You shouldn't worry about a lack of a grip safety as the Steyr has a three passive "reset action" safeties: trigger, drop, and firing pin safeties.

I like the older M and S series partially due to it's fourth safety: a manual safety located in the trigger guard. The gun doesn't need it as proved by the U.S. released versions of M-A1....I understand Euro-released versions of the gun still have it and it was only removed from U.S. sold guns due to concerns over our over litigious country!

If you haven't visited yet, go to www.steyrclub.com to say "hi," review the threads, and ask questions about the M-A1 series.

#8 ·
I've got an M40 and up until a few weeks ago I had an S40 (it was stolen ... long story).

I love my Steyrs and truly miss my S40 and wish I had the money to replace it. I've had the M40 since about 2000 and have put several thousand rounds through it ... only tiny problem I've ever had with it is that the LCI has stopped functioning (sticks out all the time...oh well, rule #1 every gun is loaded :) ).

As for the sights, I hated them for the first 10-15 minutes then I figured them out and now wish I could get them for some of my other guns.

There are a handful of S9A1s out there (over on the Steyr Club forum, one guy sent his S9 in to Steyr for warranty covered repair and they couldn't fix it so they sent him an S9A1 before they were available in the US...lucky dog)

I wish they would make an S without the rail ... I still think rails on a CCW pistol are silly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.