M&P Pro Series vs. Glock 34/35

This is a discussion on M&P Pro Series vs. Glock 34/35 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering competitive shooting and have started looking at getting a gun for that. I carry a G27 and an XDm Compact. I have ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By zonker1986

Thread: M&P Pro Series vs. Glock 34/35

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar

I am considering competitive shooting and have started looking at getting a gun for that. I carry a G27 and an XDm Compact. I have never shot an M&P, but have heard great things about them. I just shot a G35 for the first time and love it, but I am wondering how it stacks up against the M&P Pro Series. Is there anybody out there who has both or has switched from one to the other? I know I can compete with my carry guns, but I wouldn't have an excuse to buy a new gun if I did that, so you can spare me that advice. :-)
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

I picked this one up just after Christmas last year from Buds. LEO contract overrun M&P 40L, three 15 rd mags, night sights. Very, very nice pistol for competition and a great trigger. You won't find this particular model many places, as its a non-catalog item.

Special Edition M&P40L LONG SLIDE NS $557.00 SHIPS FREE

jwhite75 and lowflyer like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Go over to the Enos forum, factory pistol section. Lots of info. I shoot a 34 in production, with a lighter recoil spring, Sevigny sights and a plug. I dont like where the M&P breaks, but I've got long fingers.

I have shot both. My friend has a pro in 9 and 40. He has them pimped with KKM barrels and Apex triggers and dawson Adjustable sights and magwells. They are very nice guns. I have a 35, and have routinely out shot him with a factory trigger and sights. I am planning on putting a Ghost Rocket connector in my 35 to make it even better.

His gun is a great gun, and shoots great I just prefer the 35. It really is a matter of preference. The M&P is getting great aftermarket support now and you wont be disappointed with either.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Well, I couldn't let go of my old grudge/boycott against S&W after all. I am awaiting delivery of a Gen 4 G35 from Bud's. I bought a Comp-Tac paddle slide holster for my G27 awhile back and figure it'll work well with the 35 as well. I still might pick up an M&P, but I think I want to sell my XD first.

As far as stock triggers out of the box, I prefer the 3.5 conncetor on the Glock. It seems to be crisper than the M&P. The M&P seems to have more creep before it breaks. However, after market triggers (APEX for the M&P) and (GHOST for Glock) improve both. The M&P does come with a fiber optic front sight (a big plus in competiton) and the Glock does not.

My wife loves her M&P pro and I love my 34. So it really boils down to preference. Don't think would go wrong with either.
    I practice the 2nd Amendment....alot

I own M&P's and have tried to like the Glock offerings. Just can not get comfortable with the grip or trigger so I am currently waiting on a Pro long slide 9. If you like and shoot your Glock and shoot it well I would stick with that brand. The grip angle and trigger are different enough between the two brands that you would need to put in time just to acclimate yourself to the new setup. I would just stick with what you know and then you can move forward with the new gun tweaking your trigger control and sight acclimation. Both are good guns, it is just a matter of what you know and like. Good luck.
    Frank.

If you are comfortable with a 4.25" barrel take a look at the Walther PPQ. IMO, better trigger then Glocks or M&Ps.

I learned with my G27 that I don't really care much for the Glock sights. Since it's my carry gun, I went with a three-dot night sight setup. Most of my shooting has been with 3 dots. I thought I might try something different for the 35. So, I opted for a Warren Tactical two-dot night sight. I thought about doing a black rear sight, but decided against it so I can use the gun for HD as well as competitions.

I am also a fan of the Ghost 3.5 trigger. I put one on my 27 and saw my groups shrink from a hockey puck to a half-dollar at 30'. The 35 will be getting one for sure.

I like the way you think.

I've been using tricked out Glock 34s and 35s since 2002.

A couple of years ago, a guy really wanted a Glock 17 that I had, so I ended up with his stock, M&P .40, with a 4 1/4" barrel.

I liked the way it felt in my hand, better than my Glocks. I took it to the range, and was really surprised that it would run with my IDPA, "minor" loads. Accuracy was about the same, 2" at 25 yard groups with ammo they liked. But, what really surprised me was when I shot some drills, on the clock, and found that I was faster, and more accurate with the M&P than I was with my trusty, old, Glock 35.

Well, then I HAD to buy a 5", 9mm Pro, and out of the box, had the same results shooting it against my Glock 34. I've put an APEX competition kit in my 9mm Pro, and the trigger is better than the Glocks that I spent a lot more $$ to have the triggers re-worked.

I did break a striker on my 9mm Pro, but, I shot an email to S&W, and 3 days later, I had a newer style striker in my mailbox.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a M&P Pro to shoot before I was overcome by the urge to buy another gun. I did get to shoot an M&P 9 and I like the way they feel in the hand, but I am sort of drawn to the much simpler and cleaner Glock design at the moment.

Links