SW 380 Bodyguard

SW 380 Bodyguard

This is a discussion on SW 380 Bodyguard within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking about purchasing a SW 380 Bodyguard for CCW. I am looking for some feedback. Any thoughts?...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By imjustron
  • 1 Post By Crowman
  • 1 Post By helderberg

Thread: SW 380 Bodyguard

SW 380 Bodyguard

I am thinking about purchasing a SW 380 Bodyguard for CCW. I am looking for some feedback. Any thoughts?

I have one and like it. The trigger pull is better than the P3At or the LCP, and it has better sights than them as well. The laser is not very good, IMO, but I never intend to use it.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Lotsa people like 'em. I had one and the wife and I both hated it. Went bang every time the trigger was pulled, but the trigger was rough making aiming nearly impossible. Laser is cute but not very useful, didn't feel good in our hands at all. Go handle and shoot one and see if it works for you. Reliable...apparently so. Right for you...only you can tell that.
    sid1 likes this.
    I am a hard-working self-employed conservative Christian white male gun owner. How else can I tick you off today?

I'd suggest giving the Sig P238 a look if the you're looking for a solid performer in .380. I have no experience with the SW380, but I have two of the Sigs and I'd swear by um. IMO, the Sig is the most comfortable shooting .380 out there; it really tames the recoil of the small pistol and the .380 round, even the hottest ones.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Google "bodyguard 380 firing pin"

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I have a sig great gun the bodyguards is a great pocket gun (BUG)
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

I have a bodyguard 380 and I like everything about it except the laser. I like the usable sights on it. Stay away from the SIG P238. I had too many problems with one and got rid of it. I don't like the design of it. If you want a top notch quality, reliable 380 get the Kahr P380.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by safetymancsp View Post
    I am thinking about purchasing a SW 380 Bodyguard for CCW. I am looking for some feedback. Any thoughts?
    On this forum, and I am sure others like i,t you will find you will get both sides of a question/issue. While the feedback can be useful one needs to take it all in and then make their own mind up.

When it comes to deciding which handgun to purchase the best way is to rent to try. If you have any gun stores in your area that have a range there is a good chance they rent to try. Most will have an array of the most popular guns/revolvers to rent. That way you don't buy a firearm and then trade/sell it off 2 months later due to not liking it.
    helderberg likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

The SIG P-238 is quite a bit different than the S&W or the Ruger. The P-238 is more 1911'ish than the others with hammer and thumb safety. The trigger on mine was a bit rough for the first couple hundred rounds. None of the lasers are usable in bright sunlight and with the S&W and the SIG it requires an extra step to turn/off the laser. The night sights on the SIG are quite good, the gun is quite accurate and fully functional with FMJ ammo. Some hollow point ammo will not feed in the SIG. I am going to try .380 Powerball this week end and it looks good so far with hand feeding.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

I have a .380 Bodyguard. This is my second, the first one had a problem and Smith was more than happy to try to fix it. They did not and I sold it.
    I like the fit and feel so much I waited about 9 months and bought a new one. It has been perfect. I personally think the heavy trigger is best for a
    carry gun as I would not carry a Sig for that reason. I like the idea of a trigger that would be hard to fire by accident because it is light. I also
    had an LCP but never could get a good grip on the gun. Crowman really said it best though, you need to handle and ideally shoot these guns yourself
    make your the decision for yourself. They are all good guns.
    Frank.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Sponsored Links