New Carry Gun, Kahr CM9

This is a discussion on New Carry Gun, Kahr CM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So after going round and round for the last few months with my wife, who continuously asked if I was carrying and why I was ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: New Carry Gun, Kahr CM9

New Carry Gun, Kahr CM9

So after going round and round for the last few months with my wife, who continuously asked if I was carrying and why I was carrying every time we left the house, she came to me last week with a Cabela's Gift Card for our anniversary. So now, Charlie (her code word for my Glock 23) has been replaced with Kevin (her code for my new CM9) as a daily carry.

I was recently turned onto the Kahr line by a friend who acquired a CW9 on the same day I bought Kevin.

I picked up a Galco Stow and Go holster, and have a kydex tuckable on order, and have since broken in the gun and am getting comfortable carrying it. Much much easier to conceal than the G23, but I'm still teaching myself the new trigger.

I am considering doing some stippling, and maybe a duracoated slide at some point, but am happy over all with what I have.

Anyone here trick out a cm9 or Pm9 for carry?

2. Remove Ads

congrats on the new cm9,excellent choice..

Quote Originally Posted by jes3se View Post
    You might want to save your money for getting it to shoot consistently. I know a half a dozen guys that have had problems with them or the PM9's with misfires, etc. I guess the manufacturer recommends shooting a couple hundred rounds through it before it is supposed to be reliable and then replace the guide rod springs at approx. 1000 rounds to maintain reliability.
    They all seemed to continue with problems and they all got rid of them. I personally won't buy Kahrs because of their misleading advertising and their cheap advertising (using cheap-looking women to sell guns). I expect it from low-class dealers but not somebody that is asking top-dollar for their products. I talked to the head of the sales department and he figures as long as he sells more guns, who cares? I should have asked him how many police departments carry their guns! Cheap tactics don't fool smart people!
    Good luck with yours-hope it is dependable for you. Let us know how many rounds you have to shoot through it before it stops having misfires.
    "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:6 "For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16 Good parenting can happen ONLY through Jesus!

I'm 200 rounds in without a single misfire. I haven't had any issues, and neither have my friends with Kahrs. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I am considering doing some stippling, and maybe a duracoated slide at some point, but am happy over all with what I have.

The KahrTalk Forum may have some threads on this or even some photos of modified pistols. It seems lots of folks stipple the polymer grips, but not so many put aftermarket finishes on the Kahrs. Magna-porting is popular with some and they claim it helps with recoil.

KahrTalk Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    brain Its to bad that people that do not own a brand of firearm start flap'n there mouths about what they have no experence with.

I bought a cw9 kahr from a guy that said it was junk and would not fire reliably. Cleaned it well, looked for any edges to smooth or bebur, found none , lubed and fired the next 600 rounds trouble free. Then I went an bought a cm9 and did the same same with it .Fine little guns. To many people ether don't clean them and lube when new or even take the time to even learn how to disassemble them before going to the range, Or can't seem to hang on tight enought to shot a mag full. If you do have a problem with any firearm and it happens with all campanies and your to stupid to have the company that built it take it back for free to look over ,thats your fault . And then I read of dumbies that just trade a firearm off because of a problem . If the problem is real they just passing it on in many cases. My 2 kahrs have right at 2100 rounds thru them this year. Not that many but also no issues at all. Try that with HP ammo out of many 1911s. I do have range guns, match pistols and hunting revolvers along with a few long guns. In 43 years I have never owned a bad firearm. A couple had to go back for a tuneup when new, both rugers . Both great fireams now.

jes3se If you need a bit more control and don't mind a cobbled up look ,stop by a bike shop and get a junk skinny bike inner tube maybe free . Cut several pieces. 1/2" 1" and a 1 1/2" wide. Put the skinny one on first centered in the palm of your hand then the next, and next till you get a bit of thickness for range time. 3 or 4 layers will give you a nice tacky soft rubber grip to help keep control for double taps drills after some rounds. The kahrs are very controlable for a pistol there size and better than most others for control. With a new pistol I tend to shoot 400 practice rounds and 200 rounds of what I want to carry before trusting any pistol. Also most run 100% to trust it.
    ParaSig and drewski1325 like this.

Congrats on the kahr. My buddy just got the exact same one and its awesome. Surprisingly little recoil for a small gun. And super accurate. Btw no misfires in 350 rounds.

Congrats! Since you have 200 rounds through her this may not apply.

Proper prep of a new kahr - KahrTalk Forums

Kahr Lube Diagram - KahrTalk Forums

Enjoy!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

CM9

500+ rounds and not even a hiccup for me. I had a friend shooting with me, and the gun does not tolerate limp wristing, but for me it has been flawless. It has replaced my G27 as my off duty carry. Love this little gun. NOw I am considering a PJ tuckable holster. I currently carry in a CBMT, but it is a huge piece of leather, kinda defeats the purpose of a small weapon......but is a very comfortable holster, not easy off/on though.
    stevez likes this.

Congratulations on your acquisition. I've fired both the CM and PM, and thought they were both great guns. Also, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who names stuff

Good links to the KahrTalk forum from mwhartman.

In addition: My experience with spare magazines for my CW9 is that you must carry them in a pouch whose bottom is angled to match the angle of the top round. Comp-tac gets this right. Several other vendors I've tried don't.

If you carry them loose in a pocket (or in the mag pouch of a SmartCarry holster) then over the course of a day the top couple of rounds will work their way out of the magazine and end up lying loose in your pocket.

If you carry them in a flat-bottomed Kydex pouch the top round will work it's way forward far enough that it will prevent you from inserting the spare mag into the gun.

I've seen some discussion of these phenomena on the KahrTalk forum.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I really am liking this gun a lot.
    I did detail strip and clean out the slide when I got it home from the shop, and put the extractor pins in wrong. First round ejected the extractor across the bench at Ben Avery. After assembling it the right way, the gun has been flawless.

My buddy that bought the cw9 got it from someone who had assembled it wrong; the recoil spring installed backward causes a bind in the slide, and chews on the guide rod. After flipping around, he has put 250 flawless rounds through it. They seem to be pretty incredible guns overall.

Thank you for the links, I've been checking out the Kahr forums, there is a lot of information there.

My PM9 works OK with 124 gr rounds, and the 6-rd mag. It will not work 100% with 147 gr ammo, and it will jam consistently with the 7-rd extended mag. Seems the way I grip the pistol causes the extended mag to rotate forward around the mag catch just enough to get a nose-down jam. This is a known issue, and the best fix Kahr could offer was to exchange my 7-rd mag for a 6-rd one.

Since having a tailor deepen and square off my pockets, I have been carrying my Glock 26 as a primary much more often, with the PM9 relegated to secondary status. In business attire, with thinner suit pants, I still carry the PM9 as a primary.

Since replacing my recoil spring, I have found that my particular PM9 will load using the slingshot or overhand method just fine. Before that, with the original recoil spring, it would not load properly unless I used the slide release lever, as specified in the manual.

Good luck with your CM9.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

The CM9 is a heck of a nice carry gun. If I was in the market for a sub compact single stack the CM9 would be what I plunked my money down on. Accurate, good trigger, super easy to carry...It's hard to ask for more. Only reason I don't carry one is that I am personally more comfortable with 10+1 rounds. That being said there is a good chance I'll still end up picking up up to bridge the gap between my Glock 26 and my P3at.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Great carry piece.... Long trigger

Fits in pocket

I trust mine 100 %

It did have to be tweaked at the factory, but since then.... Not a single hiccup

From my own research, kahrs arent perfect, but the vast majority of people that i know and what ive read love their kahrs.

Not quite up to standards of a glock or M&P, but.......... Not far off.

go to the glock boards and see how many people are griping about the gen 4 product.

Go to the SIG board and see how many people are griping about the p290 and p238

No company is perfect
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links