Hammer fired or striker fired ?????

This is a discussion on Hammer fired or striker fired ????? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Apparently almost half the responders so far don't understand the difference. Big difference between DAO , DA/SA hammer guns - and a Glock or XD. ...

View Poll Results: Do you prefer your hand gun to be hammer fired or striker fired ???

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hammer Fired

31 23.13%
  • Striker Fired

41 30.60%
  • Does not matter to me

62 46.27%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Hammer fired or striker fired ?????

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Apparently almost half the responders so far don't understand the difference.

Big difference between DAO , DA/SA hammer guns - and a Glock or XD.

Or maybe they are all world class shooters.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Sorry I did not vote in this poll. My anwser would depend on the use of the gun.

I only have one striker fired pistol and several hammer fired pistols but I really don't have a preference of one over the other.

As long as it goes boom when I pull the trigger I'm happy.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I was weaned on the M9, and I now carry the PX 4 Storm--so I guess I'm with the hammer crowd.

VIP Member
    I have two hammer fired and one striker fired pistols. All things considered I prefer the striker
    fired system for an SD gun. (Notwithstanding that I actually carry the hammer fired one.)
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I like hammers, but on a practical level, it does not matter. I am temporarily without any striker-fired handguns, but for orthopedic reasons*, am about to acquire a Glock or two. My sentimental favorites are SA and DA revolvers, 1911 pistols, my little Seecamp LWS-32. Among the several rifles I own, several models have external or internal hammers, and only my Winchester Safari Express is striker-fired, but that does not mean I like the Safari Express less than the hammer-equipped rifles.

*My ailing right wrist is compelling me, at least temporarily, to become a near-total lefty with centerfire handguns, rather than my usual ambidextrous self. It so happens that the best lefty auto-pistol I have ever tried, for me, is Glock. If my right hand is the primary weapon hand, I prefer either all-DA or 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    ...but for orthopedic reasons*, am about to acquire a Glock or two. ...

*My ailing right wrist is compelling me, at least temporarily, to become a near-total lefty with centerfire handguns, rather than my usual ambidextrous self. It so happens that the best lefty auto-pistol I have ever tried, for me, is Glock. If my right hand is the primary weapon hand, I prefer either all-DA or 1911.
    I prefer a striker fired pistol by far. However I would love to get a S&W 1911 9mm Pro some day (like shooting it), but I would only shoot it at the range. Not that I'm doing IDPA or anything similar right now, just like the striker fired better and if ever do get a CCW, it is going to be striker fired.

To Rexster; I also have constant wrist, hand and neck pain and have come to love the M&P with the Apex FSS & Trigger. I used 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper to get it a nice 3.0 lbs or a little under with the polishing. I can actually shoot more because of the better trigger and shoot better groups. The M&P has ambi controls everywhere, even on the original ones, just in case your going to buy a used one. If you do get the Glock, I'd get the 3.5 lb option or another aftermarket option on the trigger as it will make a difference. I did like that 3.5 lb trigger on my G23, but the .40 hurt my neck too much so sold it over 5 years ago.

When I first started shooting I preferred hammer fired. I mostly shot revolvers, both D/A and S/A. Along with the occasional pistol. Back then most everything was hammer fired. Times change and now I mostly shoot pistols. The ones I shoot the most are striker fired. Honestly, it really does not make a difference to me which I shoot recreationally. It's not the hammer or striker that sways my purchase or desire to shoot a particular gun. It's based on feel, quality, reliability, and sometimes just on the cool factor.
    Question Everything!

I have both and enjoy shooting both. The only hammer fired gun I didnt enjoy was the Sig Sauer P250. Very long trigger pull as you watch the hammer pull back, similiar to a revolver, but at least with a revolver I can pull the hammer back myself.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I have both as well.It's not that important to me I practice with and maintain my primary carries.So I'm familiar with all of them.
    Interesting thread.

Does not matter, I have both, I use both...if it goes bang all of the time is the only concern to me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Does not matter, I have both, I use both...if it goes bang all of the time is the only concern to me.
    Yes but also want to hit what you are aiming at. So I believe you have 2 concerns
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I like hammers.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I only have 2 semi-autos, Glock 17 and FNP-9. I carry the Glock, mainly because I have a holster for that purpose. But the FNP, which is hammer-fired is such a sweet little shooter I actually shoot it more than the Glock. It has a super-smooth trigger pull from half-cock. I trust my life with either one.
    "I can show you how to make a bomb out of a roll of toilet paper and a stick of dynamite." Dale Gribble

I like em all.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links