Yet another M&P Shield Report

This is a discussion on Yet another M&P Shield Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The cost of .380 ammo is just too high. I liked and trusted my PPK/S, shot well with it and it concealed well, but I ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sgb
  • 1 Post By accessbob

Thread: Yet another M&P Shield Report

The cost of .380 ammo is just too high. I liked and trusted my PPK/S, shot well with it and it concealed well, but I finally succumbed to the striker-fired, poly-framed revolution. Though I don't have trouble with DA/SA, the more I thought about it, the less I liked it. On the PPK that first DA pull is around 13 lbs and a long way from being a friend to accuracy. The hammer does seem old-fashioned and accident prone by comparison to striker fired. I carried the Walther with safety on because of the hammer. Low probability and shouldn't fire anyway, but if that thing went off while re-holstering, my ass would never forgive me.

7+1 short mag
    8+1 extended mag
    Manual says +P is OK but may cause extra wear. No +P+ please...for lack of any standard, apparently.
    Fast-strip: drop mag, lock slide open/verify clear, rotate take-down lever, close slide, pull trigger.
    Striker removal: depress striker guide, remove end cap, press striker safety.

My first 130 rounds:

Zero feed problems using Winchester WB and Remington UMC FMJ (115) and Golden Saber(124).
    I had one misfire. Mid-mag. Could've been the round, or me, but it looked like a light hit but the dent was definitely there. It gets a "pass" for now.
    Every shot was left but still close; it has drift adjustable sights, but it's probably me (new trigger feel), or the wide gap in the rear sight.
    Trigger has a clean feel to me with no apparent change in resistance as the fire point is reached and breaks crisply.
    Recoil was not an issue, in fact, it seemed no different than Walther with (maybe) less jump. The slide is surprisingly hefty.

Overall the fit and finish is a little rough.
    The safety is secure in on or off position. I don't think it will go either way without one hell of an accidental snag, it's very low profile (1mm).
    The mags are tinny and sharp edged and have plastic followers.
    The mags have insanely strong springs. Getting that last round in is challenge. (my experience is Walther PPK and Beretta M9).
    The slide lock is not the slide release, meaning that release take a lot of force. Release is a two hand operation for now. OK for me, PPK didn't have one.
    Every control on the gun, except mag release and trigger, takes gorilla fingers.

With my Beretta M9 I live in fear of a Shao Lin monk disassembling my weapon before I can shoot him. That is not a concern with the Shield. The slide has to be locked open, the sear deactivation lever engaged and then, with great force, you can rotate the take down lever.

I think this will be a fine carry weapon. If I was happy with the Kurtz, I'm very happy with Luger. This not a fine gun however. Build quality, fit and finish are nothing close to the PPK or my M9. Every piece in the polymer frame except the slide rails is stamped something or other. To be fair, that's reflected in the price, and stamped something or other will work just as well as milled parts if done right and are a heckuva lot cheaper to stock and replace should that be necessary. It's a utilitarian device, not an heirloom.

The Remora Holster size is "4B" and not yet on their web page.
    Last edited by bullshark; April 27th, 2012 at 01:31 PM.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bullshark View Post
    The Remora Holster size is "4B" and not yet on their web page.
    Good to know, thanks.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

sgb
    I have not seen a bad review yet. I think S&W hit a homer with the shield.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

No picture?????????

Question for M&P experts

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike86 View Post
    No picture?????????
    No picture. It's well-known fact that pictures deplete good gun juju.

It looks just like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bullshark View Post
    No picture. It's well-known fact that pictures deplete good gun juju.
    So you've fallen for the tricks of the Anti-Photogs (people against photography). They propagated that myth to meet their own ends.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Links