M&P Compact

This is a discussion on M&P Compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As soon as my guy gets a few in, one is mine. I do have a full size in 357 SIG, but I do believe ...

Thread: M&P Compact

M&P Compact

As soon as my guy gets a few in, one is mine. I do have a full size in 357 SIG, but I do believe I want a compact 9. I hear guys talking about renting iron at the range, but I have never seen a range that rents guns. Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, none had guns for rent. So, you either find somebody that has what you want or you roll the dice and just buy one. Which is about where I am with an M&P compact 9. So, for those that run them, are they about like a full size? Just as easy to shoot? I guess what I am asking is do they hide that much easier than a full size? I understand that they are a bit smaller, but is there really that much difference? I have no problems carrying a full size of whatever, so another full size in 9mm would be just fine with me. But this is also for my wife, who (finally) understands that it's not a bad idea to learn some skills. I can get the gun with night sights and three mags for $499, as I did the full size. I love my full size, but want to hear from those of you with compacts about performance and how well they carry over the full size. Sorry for the "Sell me on a........." thread, but I just don't have access to one unless I buy it, which I will most likely do. Call it curiousity.

2. Remove Ads

I have both a M&P 40 full size and compact with 100% reliability of each. I actually shoot the compact better than the full size but I do have more rounds through it.

The compact is a great carry gun and one of my primary guns on my hip 50% of the time.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

The 9c is a great shooter. Itís comfortable and a soft shooter. But, the FS is even easier. Easier to aim and less recoil. Larger handle of course, so it would be harder to conceal effectively.

-- Sent from my Samsung Android phone using Tapatalk

I have all of the M&Ps from the Pro to the Shield and most in between. I carry the full size on duty, compete with the Pro and CCW the 9c. They all shoot great. I can shoot about as well with the 9c as I do the full size and it hides a lot easier. I haven't had a chance to get to the range with my shield yet but it feels good in my hand and has a nice trigger.

I have the M&P compact in 357sig and it is a great carry gun. However, it is NOT like some of the smaller carry guns that are easier to cc carry especially for a woman. My suggestion would be to take a look at the new S&W shield in 9mm. Looks great for CC. It's lighter and smaller and reasonably priced. One of the best CC 9mm out there.

180021_01_md.jpg
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I love my M&P9c. Shoots great and carries great.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    If you are torn between the FS and the compact, you could get the compact and get the XGrip adapter and use full size mags. Now that still isn't the same as the full size because you will be losing a half inch on the barrel length but it would be a compromise. If you feel you can conceal the longer grip and have the ability to carry 5 more rounds then why not. If that doesn't work for you, you can carry the compact as it is intended with a 12 round mag. As others have said, the compact is a great shooter. I have been carrying a Ruger SR9c as my carry weapon but I do also own the M&P9c. I was going to switch over to that as my carry weapon, but now that the Shield is out I am going to use that as my carry weapon at least for summer carry. This winter I may start carrying my M&P9c.

I cc a 40c love how it fits under shirt tail, shoots great

Quote Originally Posted by SoleShtr View Post
    If you are torn between the FS and the compact, you could get the compact and get the XGrip adapter and use full size mags. Now that still isn't the same as the full size because you will be losing a half inch on the barrel length but it would be a compromise. If you feel you can conceal the longer grip and have the ability to carry 5 more rounds then why not. If that doesn't work for you, you can carry the compact as it is intended with a 12 round mag. As others have said, the compact is a great shooter. I have been carrying a Ruger SR9c as my carry weapon but I do also own the M&P9c. I was going to switch over to that as my carry weapon, but now that the Shield is out I am going to use that as my carry weapon at least for summer carry. This winter I may start carrying my M&P9c.
    You can add not only the X-grip extension but also switch out the barrel to a full length/full size... or...A 357 sig can switch to a .40cal just by switching barrels(or vise versa) in either compact or full size. So many choices out of one great gun. I love the versatility.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I've shot 500 through my M&P9c, with no failures whatsoever.

Links