Ruger lcr: .38 or .357?

This is a discussion on Ruger lcr: .38 or .357? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a chance to get a special edition, Talo Navy LCR in .38 +P. My question is this: is it better to get the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Ruger lcr: .38 or .357?

Ruger lcr: .38 or .357?

I have a chance to get a special edition, Talo Navy LCR in .38 +P. My question is this: is it better to get the 357 version thinking that the recoil with.38's would be less than if I got the .38 version? I think the .357 is about 4 ozs. heavier than the .38. Would the extra ozs. in a small gun like this make much difference, in a practical sense? Or is the extra $ worth it for the few extra ozs? Thanks.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

2. Remove Ads

I went with the .357 version because I could shot .357 Mag, .38 special or .38 P out of it.
    VBVAGUY likes this.

I went with the 357 version. The difference in weight is 3.6 oz. Although I don't use it for 357 magnum loads I saw no reason not to get it. The extra few ounces in weight might contribute some to shooting comfort without noticeable difference in carrying comfort.

Here's my opinion......since you asked......

For the record, I have several 357 mag revolvers.....Ruger SP101, Ruger GP100, Smith and Wesson 686 and I shoot them a lot at the range. I also have a couple 38 Specials, Ruger LCR, Smith and Wesson 642 and Colt.

If you are recoil sensitive do not get the Ruger LCR in 357 mag. The SP101 is a compact 357 and weighs 27 oz. The Ruger LCR in 357 weighs about 17 oz. Shooting the SP101 with full bore 357 rounds is NOT a pleasant experience. I carry it in my car, but load CorBon 110 gr. rounds which have reduced recoil from full load mags. I can't imagine shooting a 17 oz revolver with the same rounds. Having said that, the Ruger LCR in 38+p is a pleasure to shoot.....I often take it to the range and put 100 rounds down range. Now have over 3,000 rounds through it. It is also very accurate. My vote is to get the LCR in 38+p.
    Philly Boy likes this.

I chose the 38+P because those few ounces can make a world of difference when carried in the pocket. And I feel fine with 38+P. Yes the 357 Magnum rounds will be more powerful but with a barrel that is less than 2" you don't get the full force of the magnum round.

I haven't been able to take delivery of my new LCR yet but that is the reasoning I used for choosing my LCR.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I have the 357

I love the LCR. Have alot of rounds thru it and enjoy shooting it with 38's, 38+p, and 357. At least with the 357built you have the choice.
    DanielC likes this.

I have the LCR 38spec.+P and like it. I also have the SP-101 and find it a little on the heavy side. Carrying the LCR is no problem in a Remora holster. I like shooting it at the range and its accurate for what it is. Good self defense carry.

Rich

I also have the 357. I took the 357 because it gave me the ability to shoot both 38 & 357. I had the chance to fire both for a comparison , this is only my opinion. The 38 is about 4oz lighter, I thought it more comfortable to pocket carry than the 357. There is only a slight difference in recoil when shooting 38 ammo, the advantage goes to the heavier 357, the trigger on both guns was excellent at about 8.5 lbs . To me it appeared the 38 was finished better cosmetically than the magnum guns, I saw this on several samples I looked at. Speer makes a 135 Gr short barrel in both 38 and 357, I thought the 135gr 357 was pleasant to shoot , it seems to fall in between 38+P and full power 357 ballistically. Hope this helps.
    Philly Boy likes this.

I went with the .38. As noted above, it's a bit lighter, and this was primarily for a pocket gun anyway. I don't feel undergunned at all with the .38 p+ in there. Since its lighter, I carry it more. Plus, I found a better deal on the LCR that had the XS Big Dot on it, as opposed to a .357 version without it. I thought the sight made a huge difference with this particular model.
    Philly Boy likes this.

i bought the LCR in .38+p,as others have already pointed out that extra 4ozs in .357 makes a huge differance for everyday carry...

Thanks for all the help. Decided to go with the .38 +P.
    tkruf likes this.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

You will love the LCR. I bought the 357 then added the XS night sights like you can get on the 38 special.
    Philly Boy likes this.

I have one in 357 but honestly either one will work. I chose 357 so I could train with 38's but carry 357.
    Nevada CFP
    Utah CFP

I have both the .38 and the .357. The .357 stays put away. I carry the .38 99% of the time. I like the lighter weight of the .38. I have also put a set of the Eagle Rosewood grips on my .38 and it helps to keep the grip from grabbing my shirt. I haven't fired it with the wood grips yet, but I will in the next day or two. I don't anticipate having any issue with the wood grips as I think the LCR is the softest recoiling .38 snub I've ever shot. I guess that is due to the polymer frame and the high grip hold. I know you'll like your .38 LCR, enjoy.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

PhillyBoy,
    You could not go wrong with either gun, as with everything, each has advantages an disadvatages, its up to the individual to decide what is best for him or her. If you are looking for a good carry round and this is only my opinion, the Speer Gold Dot 135 gr +P short barrel is the way to go, Part # 53921. I believe it is the authorized load NYPD uses for the officers that are grandfathered in to carry revolvers.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links