Defensive Carry banner

Kahr CW45, tell me what to look for and not like about it.

9K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  bpang1 
#1 ·
I guess I should have asked this qeustion before I bought the thing, but oh well.

I really went to the gun shop today to look for the wife a new gun. Single stack 9mm. She has been carrying a PF9, but hates shooting it at the range. Well he didn't have much there. It looks like the M&P shields are going to be scarce in some areas for a while now. He had a P11 but that really isn't much different than the PF9.

He had Kahrs in 40 and 45 but no 9's. Times have been tight with the guy due to some personal problems and I really was looking to help him out by finding something to pick up. 40's are out. I don't have any and don't feel the need for anything between 9 and 45. I kept coming back to the CW45.

I layed it beside, on top of an LC9 he had, which is virtually the same size as the PF9. There really wasn't much difference. A little longer, a little taller but not much, especially if you factor in the finger extension on the mag of the LC9 or PF9. He said he could order the CW9 it wouldn't be any trouble, but I really wanted to buy something he had in inventory to free up some cash for him.

Anyway I told him to get the 4473, I would take the CW45, and if the wife liked it I would come back and get her a CW9. We just have to get to the range and run some rounds through it. So I swapped him some Benjamins and got a small plastic box with Kahr on it and 4,000 small pistol primers, last count I was down to 2 or 3k of them.

I know there has been some discussion on Kahrs not liking to be sling shot on the first round. Just for kicks I loaded up a mag of 230 gr Federal HST's and racked the slide only to find it fed the round like any other gun. Maybe I did something wrong. :confused:

So, now that I have already spent the money and have it at the house, is there anything that I need to look for? Anything to do or not to do with the gun. No I am not going to rack the slide 200 times before I go shoot the thing. I will clean it, take it out and run the gun like I do anything else. If it doesn't run right, I will then polish it up and go from there.

What else?

BTW, it fits in the same Desantis IWB holsters as the PF9. That is a plus.

See less See more
#3 ·
Had mine for a couple of years now, and I haven't found anything I don't like about it!

I've switched more to 9's for carry (CM9 & a new Shield) to save on size & weight, but I REALLY like the CW45.

Regards,
Jim

#6 ·
I carry a CW45 on a daily basis. I heard the same things about cycling the slide 200 times. I didn't do it. I don't slingshot , so didn't worry about that. I did throw a snap cap in and dry fired it, to familiarize myself with the trigger.

I did my normal new gun cleaning and headed for the range with 2 boxes of Federal Champion, a box of WWB and a box of Tula, along with a box of Winchester PDX1 and Federal HST.

First box of Federal and WWB fed and functioned with no problems. Switched to the Tula and the found that was a major mistake. Failure to feed, failure to extract, failure to fire, slide locking up, without going into battery. You name it, it went wrong. After getting the slide freed up the last time, I put the Tula up and went to my last box of Federal Champion. Gun functioned perfectly. Fired the box of PDX1 with no problems, pulled out the Federal HST, again the gun functioned perfectly.

I'm not saying all, but MY CW45 DOES NOT like Tula ammo. Once I got use to it, I liked the trigger, although longer than I'm use to, it was smooth.

#7 ·
Kahrs like to be lubed. I found the .45 Kahr needed a very firm grip. The lightweight made for some heavy "grip busting" recoil, especially when using +P ammo.

I found the gun to be accurate, but it isn't a target gun. The trigger is meant to be pressed with purpose, not sqeezed gently and slowly, as one would a target .22 in competition. A relaxed trigger finger allows the long pull to be kept linear.

I think there is merit in adding a grip sleeve with a finger bump to the polymer Kahrs, to aide in a firm grip. IMHO it helps.

I ignore the pre-range cycling ritual too. It isn't something Kahr recommends. The first magazine shot through the gun will do more than hundreds of manual cycles IMHO.

All of my Kahrs will cycle and feed when sligshot with authority. All will misfeed if I ride the slide.

Good luck with your new pistol.

#8 ·
I thought about picking up a CW45 quite a few times but always decided against it because I figured the recoil would be pretty horrible in a gun that light.

#10 ·
Some of the earlier CW45's had an inadequate mag catch. The recoil could cause your thumb to bump the release enough to cause a mag drop. I had that problem with mine when I first got it, but they fixed it quickly and free. No issues since.

Never a problem with my CM9.

Regards,
Jim

#12 ·
My apologies for not been clear with my question, I meant to say that CM9/PM9 does not drop the empty magazine without assistance. Does the CW45 have the same issue? Members at kahrtalk suggest either send the mag back or file the inside of the grip frame.

#13 · (Edited)
I went out and shot the CW 45 today. I took a bucket of my 230 gr reloaded ammo and some Federal HST. I probably shot 300-400 rds.

Everything fed and shot fine. It didn't make any difference whether I used the slide release or pulled the slide back, it picked up the round fine and fed fine. I shot pretty much everything from 7 yds. No failures to fire, feed, eject or anything.

Accuracy was acceptable. Trigger was fine. It took a bit to get used to the sights, although it shoots a little low vs point of aim. Not as low as Heinie sights that I have on my PT111 though. After hundreds of rounds, the bottom of my palm was noticing the gap between the bottom of the grip and the magazine. The web of my hand was starting to feel where it was rubbing on the top of the grip. Neither was unacceptable. Recoil was really not all that bad. With a good firm grip the gun didn't jump much and semi rapid/rapid fire was managable.

However, I am having one issue with it. Even though it fed fine slingshotting the slide, at times the takedown pin/slide stop would pop out when not using the slide stop itself to release the slide and load a round. A couple of times the slide did not lock back on the empty mag. The reason was the slide stop had come out just a hair.

When I got home I took it apart cleaned it and looked at everything very closely. As far as I can tell, the slide stop spring screw might not be all the way in. The spring is just barely into the grove of the slide stop. Of course the screw is smaller than a T10, so I have to go get a mini torx set and see if I can tighten it up just a touch.

Has anyone else had this issue or heard of this issue with the CW series. I tried to call Kahr, but of course they closed during the time period that I was on hold

#14 ·
What's not to like? Recoil, recoil, recoil, and more...yup, recoil. The PM9 has some muzzle flip, the P9 does too because it's so light. Low pressure or not you're moving a big chunk of lead out of a gun that weights next to nothing. You'll want to seriously think about how effective you'll be at placing shots, especially the 2nd one, on target. I love .45 and have several. I love .357 and have too many, but to be frank the recoil is stout. I believe some may find it more manageable than others but I'm also of the opinon that a lot of folks aren't honest with themselves when it comes to judging how well they realy handle that recoil; the real question is how well will you be able to use a gun with that recoil in a defensive situation. The possible plus side is that it'll likey be really close.

Other than that I think the Kahrs are the ideal CCW gun.

Good luck in your decision
Gideon

#15 ·
Psst, I already bought it, as stated in the original post. :wink:

First pic is with 230 gr Federal HST fired semi rapid.

Second picture are my 230 gr reloads fired slow, semi rapid and rapid. Don't know how many rounds but it was probable a couple hundred.

#17 ·
Which "most" other companies are you referring to with lifetime warranties?

What other products do you purchase with lifetime warranties?

I seriously think that "some" gun manufacturers offer lifetime warranties simply because "most" people won't put 1,000 rds through any gun they purchase in a lifetime. Heck, I have some guns that don't have 1,000 rds through them. Of course I have some others that have thousands and thousands through them.

Warranty, lifetime or not isn't a factor in the purchase of a gun for me. In fact, I didn't even look at the warranty on the gun until after I got finished at the range. I was pretty sure it was longer than the one day it took me to take it out and put 3-400 rds through it.

#18 ·
I went today and picked up a precision screwdriver set so I could tighten the screw that holds the spring on the slide stop.

It took more than that. I had to adjust the spring a bit so it engaged the grove in the slide stop. It also looked as if the screw was not perfectly perpendicular to the frame, so the slide stop was not able to go all the way in. So I filed a touch off of the washer that the screw holds against the spring and a touch off of the slide stop where it contacts the washer. I am only talking probably 1 or 2 thousanths of an inch.

Now I have a positive engagement of the spring into the grove on the slide stop. The slide stop does not pop out any more. You have to remove it like it should be.

All I need now is to run some more rounds through it and I think we will be good to go. This might be my new summer carry gun if all is well.

#20 ·
farronwolf,
If your experience is like mine, you'll be very happy w/ your CW45. I've had mine for three months now. I've found it to be very comfortable to carry, reliable, easy to handle and accurate. I didn't put mine through any special "break in" process other than cleaning it before shooting it and keeping it oiled/lubed. Initially I carried mine in a Remora holster that I originally bought for a Officer sized Citadel 1911. I ordered a Sideguard "Tuck Clip" when I first bought the Kahr. After having used the new holster a few weeks, I'm glad to say I like how the combo carries. I think you'll really enjoy your new gun!

#23 ·
I went out and shot the CW45 some more this weekend. Between myself and 3 other people there were no issues with the slide stop popping out when either racking the slide to load the first round or using the slide stop the load the first round. So it appears that my adjustments to the spring and slight filing of the slide stop and spring washer did the trick.

My wife shot really well with it. From about 20-25 feet she had about a 3 inch diameter grouping other than one flyer. She actually seems to shoot better with the Kahr than she does with her Glock. I think the main reason is the length of the trigger reach on her G19. So maybe a CW9 might be on the list for her in the near future.

#24 ·
New to concealed carry

I bought my CW45 for the two reasons. #1 .45cal, I want to stop the threat asfast as possible. #2 the CW45 fit my hand perfect, seems I have hands smaller than some so when I tried the Kahr cw45 and found it fit, I bought it.
I have shot weapons all my life but this is the first time I bought a weapon for the expressed purpose of concelled carry. So it's pretty cool I found this site.

One issue I had the last time (yesterday) I was at the range. I put one box of rounds (i think winchester????, dont really remember the brand and Im at work and cant check the box) down range and had three "stove pipes". I talked to the range people and they told me that Kahr's need to be broken it with three to four hundread round before there looseded up, and after that I shouldn't have "stove pipes" any more (I've only put 100 rounds through her so far). Does this sound right?

#25 ·
I bought my CW45 for the two reasons. #1 .45cal, I want to stop the threat asfast as possible. #2 the CW45 fit my hand perfect, seems I have hands smaller than some so when I tried the Kahr cw45 and found it fit, I bought it.
I have shot weapons all my life but this is the first time I bought a weapon for the expressed purpose of concelled carry. So it's pretty cool I found this site.

One issue I had the last time (yesterday) I was at the range. I put one box of rounds (i think winchester????, dont really remember the brand and Im at work and cant check the box) down range and had three "stove pipes". I talked to the range people and they told me that Kahr's need to be broken it with three to four hundread round before there looseded up, and after that I shouldn't have "stove pipes" any more (I've only put 100 rounds through her so far). Does this sound right?
yes, Kahrs are built to very tight tolerances and need a bit of loosening up before they become 100%. Save yourself the ammo cost and rack the slide several hundred times and you will
notice that all becomes smoother.

#26 ·
Friends don't let friends buy Kahrs. Their CS is staffed by rabid jackals with no clue about customer retention. Their products may or may not be good, I'll never know. One purchase, one return, one grinding experience with them and never again.

Sorry for the rant.

#27 ·
Wow, I wonder if you just contacted them on a bad day?
I've had zero problems with my wife's PM9, and when I had an issue with my P45 Kahr customer service took care of it promptly and paid shipping both ways.

#28 ·
Sorry again for the rant. They began by telling me that I had to pay overnight shipping to get the P40 to them, at my expense, or they'd hold me to ransom for $45 prior to shipping the gun back regardless of repair (if i shipped it ground). I'm very serious about this. Brand new with battery issues. They refused to pay freight on the inbound. That set my expectations and things went down hill. It took an act of Congress to get specific documentation about the repairs. This was just about 4 years ago. I got it back, shipped to the wrong address after 3 communications about where TO ship it, fired 3 rounds without issue and traded it. Think of that...your hand gun goes to the wrong address. Spooky. And FedEx topped it by leaving at a doorstep with no signature (not Kahrs fault) with kids living next door on both sides. It's still sitting in the case at my LGS.....poor guy.

I guess I'd rather throw rocks than shoot one of theirs.

#31 ·
I bought a CW40 for my brother in law. He left it with me to break in as he doesn't have his CCL yet. Lucky me:D. I really like it. I carry a G27 daily but the Kahr is nice. It's tight from the factory but with break in it gets smooth. Now if I just had a holster for the Kahr he might have a hard time getting it back.

#32 ·
I have never had a problem with my CW9 and it is my daily carry with more than 500 rounds through it...I have also gone straight to the range without cleaning it after 8 months of not firing/lubing it and it was all good.

If anything it might be the whole slingshot thing you got going on...I have never felt a need to slingshot and my instructors taught us not to (can't remember why but the notion stuck). I am no professional so I will leave my thoughts as such and let others talk about slingshotting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.