Sig Sauer P290 opinions needed

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer P290 opinions needed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering buying a Sig Sauer P290 for a pocket gun. I was wanting to get some feedback. Any opinions out there from those ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Sig Sauer P290 opinions needed

I am considering buying a Sig Sauer P290 for a pocket gun. I was wanting to get some feedback. Any opinions out there from those who have fired one.

Have never fired the Sig P290, but me and my wife carry the Sig P238's
    Absolutely love them! I'm not a fan of pocket carry, but have at times done so with a Remora pocket holster and it's very comfortable.

I used to have a P238 alao, but I want a little more power so I am opting for the 9mm. I would like to get the new P938 as soon as I can find one.

I fired a P290 when they first came out. It was a range gun and was dirty so take this with a grain of salt when I say it hit light strikes on primer a few times.

MY impression was that it was rather heavy for a micro. FOr the size & weight of the weapon it seemed to have very low capacity. It was not bad to shoot.

I am a sig fan but I pocket carry a Smith & Wesson J-Frame 357. Scandium frame 13 oz.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I love Sig Sauer pistols.....in fact, my edc is a P220 in 45acp. But.......the P290 to me is too heavy and blocky for pocket carry. If you compare it to a Glock 26 you'll find that they are almost the same weight and not that much different in its dimensions, but the Glock has materially greater capacity carrying 10+1 using the flush fit magazine.
    Philly Boy likes this.

That's going to be one big honkin pocket gun....
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

That's the problem I'm seeing with Sig's marketing and product development. The 290 is the right idea, but just misses the mark. It's too heavy and bulky for a pocket gun. One can, as noted earlier in this thread, just get a Glock 26 that holds more rounds and is lighter, not to mention cheaper.

I am also excited about the 938. It may be a true pocket 9mm, and that would be a step in the right direction for SIG. Though somebody in the know went to the SHOT show and told me the 938 is almost identical in size to the new Springfiled XDs in .45.

If only Glock would slim up the 26 and make it a single stack....

Quote Originally Posted by Boracho View Post
    If only Glock would slim up the 26 and make it a single stack....
    Amen to that! I have been hoping for a thin single-stack glock. I was hopeful when the Nano came out. Unfortunately, they have been having FTE problems with it. I also passed on that gun because I don't like having to have to manually pull the slide back to put the gun back into battery after reloading which requires 2 hands (I think that was a bad idea!).
    "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:6 "For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16 Good parenting can happen ONLY through Jesus!

I wish Glock would make a single stack 9mm too. Never happen though. And as i went to get the P290 I handled and bought a Beretta Nano. They did what Glock wouldn't. And so far I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by AdamSean View Post
    I used to have a P238 alao, but I want a little more power so I am opting for the 9mm. I would like to get the new P938 as soon as I can find one.

+1

That one is on my radar too... Looks like a awesome little 9mm to go with my P238...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I haven't shot one, but I handled one at a LGS. It felt way to big, chunky and heavy for pocket carry. IMO if you're going IWB you may as well go for a bigger/higher capacity gun.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I fired one a few weeks ago. I like the looks of the gun but it is heavy. Also, the recoils was pretty snappy for a 9mm, and that is coming from someone who carries a 40 S&W every day. The owner seemed to like it and shot it well though.

It's heavy because of the trumpet.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

I bought one last week

Hi yall! :-)

I was looking for a thinner 9mm - I have a G26 that does print a little bit when I wear light shirts during the summer and will not fit the pocket.
    I was looking for a CM9, PF9, LC9, DB9 ... the usual list.

I was not impressed by the DB9 ergonomic. It did not feel right in my hand. And the weight is so little that ... I did not shoot it, but the 9mm rounds are not weak. So I do not know how quickly I would be in position to do a following shot. No slide stop.
    Nano: looks very nice. No slide stop either. Did not shoot it.
    CM9: it looked nice even if prefer my guns black/blue finished. Nice trigger, a little bit long but smooth. Could not find one at the local stores, at least for a decent price.
    LC9: I did not like the long trigger, but the gun seems well built.
    PF9: I did not like the trigger either. Not sure about how well it is built to take the punishment of the 9mm round. I like my sub2000 very much.
    Then ... walking by at Academy ... one last black Sig P290 with laser ... $499 (same price as the one without the laser!
    It fits my pocket nicely, not too heavy, not light either. Very good combat night sights ( +++ ). No manual safety ( ++ ) and no mag safety either ( +++ ) as I want on a DAO. No second strike capable ( - ). Very well built and very tight ( + ). 0.9" width ( + ). And it fits well in my hand with the little extension that come with the 6 rounds mag ( +++ ). 8 round mag in the box ( ++ ). I could not resist. It is mine.

I shot it twice (Friday lunch (120 rounds) + Sunday morning (~200 rounds including HP (50)). Zero feeding or ejection issue. 5 rounds did not go bang on Friday, despite a good dimple on the primer, so I believe it is the Monarch ammos that have a fairly hard primer (admitted by the Academy clerk - lol). The trigger, fairly short for a DAO, is getting better but it is the sole cons on this gun for now. It is a little bit gritty. I have no issue with the 9lbs DAO trigger for a carry/pocket gun with no safety (on the contrary!). Groups are not as good as with my G26, but I can do head shots at 15' already. I am actually surprised how good I did because of the very short barrel (2.9") and challenging trigger (it is getting better now compared to brand new OOTB). The sights and laser were dead on OOTB!

Overall, I like it (especially at that price! $200 off! i.e. laser for free). It is my 1st Sig and it is not a range gun, but I took the punishment of the 200+ rounds fairly well. If you cannot deal with the trigger, it is not for you. If it does not fit your large hand, probably any micro 9mm will feel the same. the height is lower than the competition with the 6 rounds mag.

I shot a LC9 at the range this Sunday morning as well. I have no regrets. The trigger is lighter but way longer to me. I did not group well with it. Maybe with more practice I could, but I will never know.
    I now have 6+1 rounds fitting discretely in my pocket and I am waiting for my IWB holster. I am left handed so the choices are not many.
    One note: it looks like you can switch the mag release button, but you cannot. It will drop the mag at each shot if you do so. Not a problem as the button is firm and I do not drop the mag when it is on the proper (left) side of the gun.
    Field strip is actually easy when you know how to do it (check on youtube) and cleaning is very easy. The 320+ rounds did not affect the gun, no sign of wear, it is a very well built gun.

I hope this will help you guys looking at these micro guns. This is my 1st time here, I just registered when I saw this thread. Having several other guns, I post on other forums (Bersachat especially).

Vincent

p290

P290. solid gun, ammo finikie, bulky in the pocket, great accuracy out to 30ft on the fly.

The perfect pocket gun..humm a very personal thing i would suppose. I have spent allot of time and money and this is what happand too me.
    My first handgun was the Ruger sp101, great guy but sits in the safe now. My second purchase was a 32 cal Seecamp, It sits in the safe, Third was the Sig p290..in the safe then it was the Ruger 380, (daily carry with cargo shorts) then it was the 40 cal Walther PPS (winter carry)

Now.....for me...The PPS is #1 for daily carry (holsterd) out of the box without a glitch and feels great..(but use a micro in my pocket as first draw)

However...for me...draw is absolute tops. I think having a gun already in my palm before I even draw is paramount and this is why I prefer my
    Seecamp. the design of it makes it completely snagless coming out of the front pocket. Truthfully, The Seecamp 380 will be my next and last pocket pistol purchase.

I can say this, before someone draws there 45, I've already put three rounds in them with a gun that's already in my hand.

Hope this helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links