M&P Shield safety removal?

This is a discussion on M&P Shield safety removal? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have heard that the safety was easy to remove on the original M&P series. Have any of you new Shield owners tried it yet?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: M&P Shield safety removal?

I have heard that the safety was easy to remove on the original M&P series. Have any of you new Shield owners tried it yet?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    What advantage would be gained by removing it? Why not not just leave the safety in the off position?

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    What advantage would be gained by removing it? Why not not just leave the safety in the off position?
    Because with the safety removed there's no chance of it accidentally being turned on.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Don't think it would easily go from " safe" to "fire" mode. I have it in my hand and have to push it down with a fair amount of pressure to take it off "safe." That would not be a real concern for me, JMO.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    Don't think it would easily go from " safe" to "fire" mode. I have it in my hand and have to push it down with a fair amount of pressure to take it off "safe." That would not be a real concern for me, JMO.
    I handled one at the LGS and admit, it would be tough accidentally actuate the safety on. That being said, when It comes to a defensive firearm I want as few points of failure as possible to minimize the chance that Mr. Murphy will make an appearance.
    dukalmighty likes this.

that's generally my opinion as well. although I usually address by not buying guns with features I don't like. that's becoming harder to do recently though. the shield looks pretty nice.

I wonder if there is a way to lock the safety in the "fire" position? Locktite maybe?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I wonder if there is a way to lock the safety in the "fire" position? Locktite maybe?
    JB Weld <------ (Just kidding, don't put JB Weld on your pistol).

I shot 1911's for years, and still have a couple I shoot at the range. Since owning the Shield, I've started getting into the habit of sweeping it off when I draw even though I don't use it. It hasn't been hard bringing it back to my muscle memory.

As I clear leather and bring it on target, my thumb sweeps the safety. If that's your habit, it certainly doesn't hurt anything if the safety is already off, or if the gun doesn't even have a safety.

I'm now doing the same thing when drawing my full size M&P and XD9sc even though they don't have the manual safety. I lose no time whatsoever.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Dremel the thumb thingy off
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Spot weld it....lol
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I wonder if there is a way to lock the safety in the "fire" position? Loctite maybe?
    if you put a dab of "red" loctite on that safety,i can reassure it will never move..that safety will be in that position for the life of the gun..

When I was a kid, I would sometimes heat a piece of steel (usually a piece of a wire hanger) over the kitchen stovetop (using pliers, of course) until it glowed red hot, and then push it into a broken plastic toy, in order to fix it. The hot steel would melt into the plastic. Once cooled, it was often stronger than new. Stunk like heck, though - had to keep a window open. Toxic fumes, I'm sure...

Since the Shield has a plastic frame, I'm sure the same could be done. A small straight piece of steel could be inserted horizontally over the safety, locking it into the down (fire) position. Might not look great, but it would work.

Count me as one of those who is sad to see all these new pistols coming out with thumb safeties. Would be nice if the makers would at least offer the option of getting the pistol without it.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Looks like plugging the open square notch in the frame would be a challenge... keeping dirt and debris out of the sear mechanism IMO

A guy over at AR installed the APEX full size 9mm sear in the Shield. His post states "Bad news is that the safety bar looks impossible to remove without bending it"

Photos 3/4 down the page

Shield pics internals APEX Sear - Safety Removal
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Dremel the thumb thingy off
    I think its un-necessary - but this is probably the easiest solution

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I detail stripped my Shield today. It comes apart like any other M&P.

You don't have to bend the safety itself to get it off the sear block. It will slide off if you rotate it the proper way.

The pin that holds the sear in has a shoulder on it so that it will only go into the sear block one way. The safety itself is what is holding that sear pin in. If you remove the safety the pin will slide out to the left until it hits the frame. Completely removing the safety is a no go.

The safety blocks the rear of the trigger bar preventing the trigger bar moving to the rear. You could modify the safety on that end so no matter if it is engaged or not there will be no interference with the trigger bar rendering the safety inoperable.

Other news.....

I polished up the trigger system (sear, trigger bar, firing pin lug etc....) and it smoothed out the trigger pull and lightened it a little bit. To be honest, I don't think modifying the trigger with an Apex sear/springs is going to be needed on this pistol unless you really want a lightened trigger or shorter reset with less overtravel. The break is clean, the take up is pretty smooth and the trigger pull weight is probably about a half a pound less now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links