Glock 30SF Mags................Question.

This is a discussion on Glock 30SF Mags................Question. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a relatively new Glock owner, been keeping my 30SF mags loaded to break in the springs since I bought the gun a few weeks ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Glock 30SF Mags................Question.

As a relatively new Glock owner, been keeping my 30SF mags loaded to break in the springs since I bought the gun a few weeks ago.....took the gun to my range today and I could not work the slide with the new loaded mags in the gun. If I removed one round from each mag the gun would function properly but with fully loaded 10 and 9 count Mags the slide wouldn't budge......gun function fine with my son's 21 Mag that has been used often...

Would appreciate any advice..........thanks

patience, in a week or so all will be fine, or should be, if not contact glock there is a bigger problem

Remove mag, move slide to open and locked position. Insert full magazine, and depress slide release. There isn't any issue with the gun.

They are tight in the beginning. If you lock your slide open, insert the full mag, you can just sling shot the slide by pulling back slightly and releasing and it will chamber the round fine..... As you use the mags, they will loosen just enough to accommodate full loads.

My G30 is the only pistol I own that I do not carry +1. Just too hard to properly seat a full mag with a round in the chamber.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    My G30 is the only pistol I own that I do not carry +1. Just too hard to properly seat a full mag with a round in the chamber.
    A round in the chamber has nothing to do with difficulty trying to seat a fully topped off 10 round mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    A round in the chamber has nothing to do with difficulty trying to seat a fully topped off 10 round mag.
    Uh, yes it does. With a round in the chamber, the slide is closed. Trying to seat a fully charged 10-rd mag into my G30 (with a closed slide) takes a very firm push or smack, which I choose not to rely on when under stress. Having an improperly seated mag drop out of the pistol would be, at the least, embarrassing.
    shooterX likes this.
    CT Lasers

Ya know............I'm new to this Glock thing and I'm having patients.....let my Mags sit for weeks before using them....but.......Geeeezzz.....I gotta tell ya......never had anything like this with my Colt Series 70's.
    Can't even load the gun without issues...........when can you rely on this handgun for CC if I can't even rely on the slide working properly......I dunno.

Just not use to this type of stuff I guess..............

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Uh, yes it does. With a round in the chamber, the slide is closed. Trying to seat a fully charged 10-rd mag into my G30 (with a closed slide) takes a very firm push or smack, which I choose not to rely on when under stress. Having an improperly seated mag drop out of the pistol would be, at the least, embarrassing.
    So I guess you wouldn't carry your G30 with one in the tube regardless of how many rounds were in the mag? I totally agree that a fully charged 10 round mag (with a closed slide) takes a very firm push or smack........and that is why I do so before that gun goes into it's holster, so if I have to actually use it, I don't run into an embarrassing situation like fumbling with charging my carry gun if some guy jumps out behind a tree trying to mug me.

If Glock didn't mean for the G30 to be carried 10+1 (with a 10 rd mag), or 9+1 (with a 9 rd mag), they wouldn't sell them as such.

Luckily, I own more than one Glock, so the G30 doesn't always get the nod. That being said, I have left a fully charged 10+1 G30 in my safe for over a year and the mag didn't pop out.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    As a relatively new Glock owner, been keeping my 30SF mags loaded to break in the springs since I bought the gun a few weeks ago.....took the gun to my range today and I could not work the slide with the new loaded mags in the gun. If I removed one round from each mag the gun would function properly but with fully loaded 10 and 9 count Mags the slide wouldn't budge......gun function fine with my son's 21 Mag that has been used often...

I will say that when I bought my G30, the mags were VERY tough to get the last round into and almost impossible to get seated into the gun. Consequently, very tough to rack the slide to chamber the first round. So much so that I did carry it 10 rounds, not +1 until I used the mags some...... they did get better with use. They are fine now and I now carry 10+1 with confidence that the slide will function properly to cycle the round that topped off the mag.

If that is your problem and concern, I can almost certainly assure you that it will get better.
    Good Luck.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post

At the risk of sounding macho, you have to 'man-handle' the G30 when it's new. At first, I had to insert a mag of 10 with the slide back, release the slide (chamber the round), drop the mag, top it off and slam it home with authority.

Now, I can load and chamber however I want, but it still needs to be addressed with authority. I'm betting if you grabbed that slide like a gorilla, it'd chamber that 10-stack mag.

The 10rounders are a pain to seat that's for sure. I load my +1 round from a different mag and then push that 10 rounder in. I carry 13 round G21 mags for reloads and they have no problem seating on a closed slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    So I guess you wouldn't carry your G30 with one in the tube regardless of how many rounds were in the mag? I totally agree that a fully charged 10 round mag (with a closed slide) takes a very firm push or smack........and that is why I do so before that gun goes into it's holster, so if I have to actually use it, I don't run into an embarrassing situation like fumbling with charging my carry gun if some guy jumps out behind a tree trying to mug me.

If Glock didn't mean for the G30 to be carried 10+1 (with a 10 rd mag), or 9+1 (with a 9 rd mag), they wouldn't sell them as such.

Luckily, I own more than one Glock, so the G30 doesn't always get the nod. That being said, I have left a fully charged 10+1 G30 in my safe for over a year and the mag didn't pop out.
    I carry my G30 with 10 rounds, 9 in the mag and 1 in the chamber.

My spare mag is fully loaded with 10. If I'm loading it from slide lock, there are no issues. If I'm doing a tactical reload, however, slamming that mag home with a round in the chamber has to be done with authority, or you can end up with an improperly seated mag that can drop out of the pistol.

At the range is one thing - under stress is another. My mags have been fully loaded for weeks now, and they still don't seem much easier to seat. It is do-able, certainly, but you need more effort than on, say, my G19 or 26.
    CT Lasers

I'm really disalusioned as a new Glock owner.............having carried my Series 70's 1911 Governments and Combat Commander for ever this is not what I expected....sorry.

IMO.........this gun has a long way to go to be called dependable.....especially when you can't even seat a mag and throw the slide cause it won't move......Geeeezzzz.

The 30 round mags have a strong spring and when fully loaded there is a lot of tension on the base pushing up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links