Quick stripping question for M&P 9 compact

This is a discussion on Quick stripping question for M&P 9 compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got the gun, read the manual and even had the guy at store show my how to field strip the gun but for ...

Thread: Quick stripping question for M&P 9 compact

I just got the gun, read the manual and even had the guy at store show my how to field strip the gun but for some reason i cant get the slide off. I lock the slide back, eject mag, then rotate the release pin until in locks in the downward position. But when i pull the slide back and then forward it gets stuck about 1/4" past its normal locking position. Ive tried to do it many times and get the same result. Am I missing a step here?

Quote Originally Posted by TxRhino View Post
    I just got the gun, read the manual and even had the guy at store show my how to field strip the gun but for some reason i cant get the slide off. I lock the slide back, eject mag, then rotate the release pin until in locks in the downward position. But when i pull the slide back and then forward it gets stuck about 1/4" past its normal locking position. Ive tried to do it many times and get the same result. Am I missing a step here?
    Do you have to push and lock down the ejector like you do on the Ruger SR series?
    Tony

Did you lower the sear deactivation lever?

Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    Did you lower the sear deactivation lever?
    I would have to say no. Guy at the gun store must have been quick because i didnt see him do anything other than what i did.

I would have to say no. Guy at the gun store must have been quick because i didnt see him do anything other than what i did.
    Follow the steps in the owners manual until it becomes routine for you to strip and reassemble.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    Follow the steps in the owners manual until it becomes routine for you to strip and reassemble.
    I saw that step in manual but thought it was for something else since I didnt see the guy at store do it. Do you just push the pin down when your looking from the top of the slide?

Easy fix

After the steps you mentioned, point the pistol in a safe direction and pull the trigger - the slide will come off easily. You do not have to lower the sear deactivation lever. An M&P armorer taught me this trick. Of course, when you remove the slide, be sure to secure the guide rod and spring (which are under pressure) so that they do not fly off and potentially damage something.
    1% Lawyer
    (99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name)

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    You can field strip without lowering the deactivation lever. I have forgot about that myself a time or two and it didn't break anything. Did you pull the trigger when releasing the slide?
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

The trigger trick did the job. Thanks for the help.

Links