Rock Island Armory

This is a discussion on Rock Island Armory within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anybody have experience with Rock Island 1911s? My wife has convinced herself she wants a 1911, and my local FFL dealer suggested the Rock ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Rock Island Armory

Rock Island Armory

Does anybody have experience with Rock Island 1911s? My wife has convinced herself she wants a 1911, and my local FFL dealer suggested the Rock Island line. I know almost nothing about them, but their prices seem reasonable--but is low cost indicative of low quality?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I don't own one- almost did, but found a better deal on a Springfield- but, I looked at them really hard. They're great guns by all I've found. The one's I've looked at had great triggers out of the box (better than all the Taurus 1911s I looked at), and are mil-spec to the best of my knowledge.

Glockman10mm will tell you 'Coltcoltcoltcolt', and I agree if you can afford it. The Rock Island is a good gun, and seems to be a great deal on a starter 1911.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Rock Island Armory make great 1911's. Here is a person's review and opinion of a comparison of a model from Springfield Armory and Rock Island Armory. I hope this helps. God Bless

Photo Essay: Springfield GI vs RIA Fullsize 5" (56K WARNING!) - GunRightsMedia

NMB
    I owned one of the GI models, they are fine firearms. I couldnt find anything wrong with mine, and they go boom every time. Feed HP's all day long as well.

I let it go in a trade and regret it to this day.

If you are on a budget and have to have a 1911, they are a great bargain.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

My stepdad has had two, the fullsize and compact. Both were great guns for the price.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Both of my bros bought one from classic firearms.com. the extreme tactical 2011 models. Besides being soaked in oil when you get them, they are great guns. They seem reallllyyyy tight new but loosen up over time. Great gun for price

You had me at "wife has convinced me SHE WANTS"

Great gal you have there.
    mano3 and nerdyvirgin like this.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

VIP Member
    Had a 3-inch Micro-Compact for a while, great gun and fed everything. I did have one problem; the recoil assembly separated and locked up the gun. Sent it back to RIA, they repaired and returned it in less than two weeks.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    I don't own one- almost did, but found a better deal on a Springfield- but, I looked at them really hard. They're great guns by all I've found. The one's I've looked at had great triggers out of the box (better than all the Taurus 1911s I looked at), and are mil-spec to the best of my knowledge.

Glockman10mm will tell you 'Coltcoltcoltcolt', and I agree if you can afford it. The Rock Island is a good gun, and seems to be a great deal on a starter 1911.
    I will tell you Coltcoltcoltcolt too....
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I've had mine for a few years now. I haven't had 1 single problem with it. The parkerizing is just now starting to come off. Just a couple spots here and there from holster wear.

I've had 3. Best 1911 you can get under $500 in my opinion.
    JEAM likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I've had a Colt, a Springfield Armory full size and now I have a RIA mid-size and a compact. The RIA gun's are probably one of the best values on the market. Mine have been flawless. the all steel compact is excellent for carry and the weight helps a good deal with the recoil. The tactical versions have good features and I found the triggers to be excellent. Not the quality of a high end gun but more than anyone would want for a CCW gun. I installed a round butt mainspring housing on mine (both) and it REALLY makes them feel good in the hands. It keeps the pointy butt end from digging into the hand from recoil. Mine has been totally reliable with JHP's and every weight.

My Compact came with a beavertail and commander hammer (nice) but the old GI sights. For pure defense work the GI sights are fine but I did sent my slide out to have it milled and low profile Novak styled night sights added.

If you get the Bonniville OWB holster from UBG's for the compact it makes a great carry package.

The parkarized finish isn't anything to write home about and the stock OEM grips are hideous. Everyone who buys a RIA replaces the grips. I like to replace them with slim line grips from this site:
    1911 Ultra Thin grips slim wood handgun

Can't beat it for a carry gun. Now I would love to have a Wilso or Ed Brown or Fusion custom make 1911 but frankly my RIA's are more than adequte.

As for customer service, they have a lifetime warranty period. You'll hear nothing bad about their customer service, in fact they have an almost cult like following. their Customer Service guys can also do all kinds of custom work and refinishing too.

If you decide to go this route, check out this place: Gun Shop Nashville, TN - Bellshireguns

You probably can't find a cheaper price on a RIA than you can here; ask to speak with Phil.

If you Love 1911's and have the money go ahead and buy a Colt or Wilson but if you're on a budget you can't go wrong with the RIA and if it gets worn from carrying it all the time it won't bother you like it would if it was a l$2000 custom gun.
    Good luck
    Gideon

Sarco has several Rock Island Armory 1911's in 45 acp and 9mm,below is the link to the Shotgun News AD towards the bottom of the page,guns range from $359.99 to $449.99 for a 15 round 22 LR 5" model
    http://www.sarcoinc.com/4-20-12_1-8.pdf
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by hrufrdr1 View Post
    Does anybody have experience with Rock Island 1911s? My wife has convinced herself she wants a 1911, and my local FFL dealer suggested the Rock Island line. I know almost nothing about them, but their prices seem reasonable--but is low cost indicative of low quality?
    YES
    Colt Commander LW. I think shooting twice is just plain silly.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texasleaguer View Post
    YES

^^^^Judging from^^^^^^

The other posts, all stating contrary to what you have posted, makes YOUR post seem insignificant.
    Care to elaborate, based on your experience?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links