1st Glock 23 G4 Failure?

1st Glock 23 G4 Failure?

This is a discussion on 1st Glock 23 G4 Failure? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got my first glock last week. A 23 G4. Took it to the range and fired 200 rounds through it the first day. everything ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 1st Glock 23 G4 Failure?

1st Glock 23 G4 Failure?

I got my first glock last week. A 23 G4. Took it to the range and fired 200 rounds through it the first day. everything was going great! I love it....... and then i get a failure to fee i think? Midway through shooting the slide was open and the bullet was sitting in the chamber. i have never had one before. it wasnt a jam? i disgarded the bullet and contunied with no problems. On the second day at the range i shot another 200 rounds between me and my wife (who has never shot). I have no problem but durring one of her shots midway through the same thing happens. I closed the slide this time and shot the round. I am not trying to whine here but its a new gun and its a glock. Out of 400 rounds i had 2 FTF's . Should i send my gun in for warrenty work? I bought the gun NIB from a guy that had a second thought and wanted a 26. does glock cover the second owner? the gun is less then 3 moths old?

Thank You.

Other than 2 rounds out of 400 i am blown away and love the choice i made. Again not trying to whine but just want some advice here. THANKS!

I dont think that glock would see it as a warranty work item, but certainly if you are unsure of the gun you can try. I find there are types of ammo my gun(s) like, and some that they dont. My sigs dont like Hdy Critical Defense and will FTF 1/10, but Golden Sabre's NO FTF at all. Thats in 5 Sigs! I dont see it as a warranty thing, but as a test to see which my guns like. I have heard polishing the feed ramps would solve this but I feel no imperfections there. Glocks are built with "eat anything" in mind. If the spent round is ejected and the new round stops partial feed, most of the time its due to poor magazine springs. 2nd common culprit is the recoil spring.

Blasphemy, people speaking of failures in Glocks. I am pretty sure the mods will need to remove this thread.

Like has been suggested, what kind of ammo are you using, change types of ammo, maybe that will fix it. Are you certain that there wasn't something you did with the gun, grip, limp wrist etc that was different on those two rounds that caused issues.

Change up some things, have someone observe you shoot and see if you can eliminate/change factors to make the gun reliable.

Good luck.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

sounds like limp wristing try this

stancehold likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    sounds like limp wristing
    exactly what I was going to post, unless it happens a lot, it is probably a limp wrist issue

Its not a failure. Sometimes, a new guns recoil spring and magazine springs are a little stiff. This can happen with any gun. My advice is to just be patient, and let is wear in, and I think it will be fine. I have experienced this was a new G17. A trick I use is to lock the slide back on a new gun with the mag out. Load the mag to capacity, and let them both sit overnight. It helps to lossen things up a little quicker. Work the slide back and forth about 50 times, and load and inload the mag a few times.

And I agree, it could be limp wristing, however, the problem with a limp wrist is magnified with a stiff recoil spring.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

ther was another poster with the same propblem and I posted that video and he said the problem went away. for some reason glocks are subject to "limp wristing" but alot of new shooters don't understand what it is or how to correct it
    glockman10mm likes this.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    This is just a suggestion, and it sounds like it could be a possibility. , Please make sure that your right thumb or any part of your left hand isn't accidentally pushing up on the slide stop lever while you are shooting.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    paulb787 -
    your description of the problem is confusing.

Was the slide locked back with the round lying on top of the magazine?
    Or was the round fully in the chamber?

It does sound a bit like you may have accidentally pushed the slide stop up with your thumb.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member
    If there was one single weakness to the Glock platform it's limp wristing. This not a problem if you know how to grip and shoot properly.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    paulb787 -
    your description of the problem is confusing.

Was the slide locked back with the round lying on top of the magazine?
    Or was the round fully in the chamber?

It does sound a bit like you may have accidentally pushed the slide stop up with your thumb.
    I did misread it. He did say that there was a bullet sitting in the chamber, as I pictured the magazing.
    Even at that, it raises the question of how the round got in the chamber with the slide locked back.....
    Hummmm..
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Limp Wrist test - YouTube
    Notice the glocks only jam :) but I doubt you or your wife were holding the gun like that. From your description I'm assuming that's what your jam looks like.

Hey guys thatnks for all the replies i am going back tomorrow and will let you know how it works out. i hope it is limp wristing.. that would be the easiest thing to fix. i mean its not really a jam. the slide just stays back. if it happens tomorrow i will take a picture of it.

Thanks again!

Paul

Gen 4 Glocks in general are a failure in my book. I'll take a Gen 2 Glock any day over the 3 or 4's.

I could never trust a gun with a single failure. Give the gun away and go buy a Glock, oh, I'm sorry...I thought this was a Taurus thread.
    farronwolf likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links