Me and M&P9c not getting along part 2

This is a discussion on Me and M&P9c not getting along part 2 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for all the tips on my shooting problem. I got some snap caps and its confirmed that I am pulling right when the trigger ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Me and M&P9c not getting along part 2

Me and M&P9c not getting along part 2

Thanks for all the tips on my shooting problem. I got some snap caps and its confirmed that I am pulling right when the trigger breaks Ive tried all the backstraps and its hit and miss. I guess I have to work more on it. So are there any tips and tricks for correcting the right pull Or is it just learning the trigger of the m&p series. Thanks again all and have a great day.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Practice, practice and more practice is one option.

I know I'll probably get dumped on for this, but you may need to look at a different weaon system. Just because it works for 99% of the people, doesn't mean it is right for you. There is no such thing as "right for everyone".
    oneshot likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You might try "thinking down" and inline with the gun barrel as you squeeze the trigger. This is inplace of the "pulling" the trigger in the direction your finger is moving. Shooting is very much a mind game. Feel the finger moving in a downward direction instead of a sideways direction.

Another thing to try is to shoot off of a sand bag or something else to give you lateral and vertical support. Concentrate on how the gun feels when you shoot it with this support. Concentration is paramount. Remember a big part of shooting is a mind game.

Good luck.

Vv

If I was having that much trouble 'learning' a new gun i would sell it. Having been shooting for years I can't imagine holding on to a firearm that I have to 're master' to shoot. Just my 2 cents. Oh, and if it is taking that much effort to shoot accurately I would never use it as a carry

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post

I know I'll probably get dumped on for this, but you may need to look at a different weaon system. Just because it works for 99% of the people, doesn't mean it is right for you. There is no such thing as "right for everyone".
    l like M&P's but I agree with the above.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    When I made the transition to short barreled firearms (3.5 - 3.2 inch), I found that I had to change my stance a bit. What worked was to pull my right shoulder back (right-hand grip), lean my left shoulder forward and brace harder. This corrected POA and tightened my groupings.

Full disclosure: I didn't discover this on my own, but learned it from an instructor who showed me what I was doing wrong.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

The only way I can be really accurate with my M&P 9c is to prep the trigger. Aim the pistol, take out all of the slack in the trigger without firing then focus on the front sight. Once focus is clear then roll the trigger back and you won't have far to go and accuracy improves. At least for me it did. Also, I have to use the Weaver Stance because I can't shoot using the isosceles stance. Keep shooting it and you will get better.

Sorry to hear your M&P9c troubles. I have had the exact opposite experience with mine. I shoot it very accurately and the trigger on mine is fantastic.
    zonker1986 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    l like M&P's but I agree with the above.

^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^

I shoot my 9c fine.
    You may not find it as agreeable.
    Have you always shot every weapon you've picked up well, with little or no difficulty or learning curve?
    If you can answer yes to that, I'd get rid of it.
    If no, get some instruction.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

If you can purposely surprise yourself when shooting a gun and hit where you want it is not the gun.

What I mean is while staying intently focused on the front sight and keeping it dead on the target, pull the trigger ever so slowly, only focusing on the front sight, not focusing on the trigger or when it is going to break. When the trigger breaks it will be a surprise to you, and there is a very good chance that you will hit dead on what you are aiming at.

If you can slow down everything to where you can get half a dozen shots off like this, you can start to get your shots where you want them to be. You stated from the rest you were shooting fine. That is because the rest soaked up the bad things you were doing with the rest of your body/hands.

One other question. How much trigger finger do you have on the trigger? Being that the gun is small it is easy to have too much of your finger on the trigger. This will cause you to pull shots to the right. Make sure that you have the center of the pad on the index finger centered on the trigger, not the first joint.

Good luck, take some time and figure out what is causing the problem, then work on that.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

You confirmed with the snap caps that YOU are the problem not the gun.

Assuming your right handed you might try placing your index finger on the trigger in a different location.

Also try becoming more left hand dominant. Let your left hand counter the force being applied by your right hand. Pull the trigger using contracting muscles from both hands not just the right hand.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Take a look at this video, and some of his others. It may help..

Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

sgb
    If your basics are sound and correct you can accurately shoot any hand gun that properly fits your hand. Trying to blindly diagnose your individual deficiency over an internet forum is extremely hit & miss. First place I'd look at are grip and trigger technique.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Thanks all Im working with snap caps and diferent trigger teqniques. Im going to go to the range tomorrow and see if it is making a difference. Im trying other placement of my trigger finger. We will see. Be safe everyone.

sixgun, have you ever used a laserlyte? LaserLyte — LTS Pro

You can practice in your easy chair and work on trigger technique for next to nothing per trigger pull, but get instant feedback.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links