Considering the PF9

This is a discussion on Considering the PF9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering purchasing a Hard Chrome Pf9. I was wondering if the reliability of these guns is improved now over the past. Right now ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Considering the PF9

Considering the PF9

I am considering purchasing a Hard Chrome Pf9. I was wondering if the reliability of these guns is improved now over the past. Right now it's what I can afford but I don't want to rely on something that is unreliable. I don't like to get involved in the gun brand bashing but I did have one in the past along with the P3AT that had issues but I have a Taurus 380 now, which a lot of people bash, and it works perfectly so I know every brand has a lemon. I would like feedback from those who actually have ownership/user experience.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    My PF9 has run without error. I have no complaints other than its propensity towards rust. Hard Chrome may help that.

If you're expecting a match trigger on something with the quality of an Ed Brown heirloom, you'll be disappointed.

If you're looking for a very affordable, reliable single-stack 9mm with a long trigger pull, you should be good to go.

I agree with WHEC724. I own a PF9 and have never had any problems with it. From what I understand the newer ones are pretty much problem free.

Well my PF9 had so many malfunctions that it became impossible to count them. It may have been a lemon but I still would not consider another Kel Tec. They are cheaply made and look like they were manufactured in a dimly lit Chinese garage.

With so many other micro 9 options out there keep shopping. There are a lot of guns better than the PF9- Berretta Nano, Ruger LC9, Sig P290, Kimber Solo, M&P Shield etc.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Our PF9 has been 100% reliable out of the box. I think it has probably 5-800 rds total through it without issue.

As stated, you do need to keep on eye on the rust issue. A wipe down every night with a silicon cloth seems to do the trick on days when it gets sweated on. Other than it not being entirely fun to shoot for a long time at the range, I can't complain about the gun based on price/performance.

Good luck in your quest.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Mine has been super reliable through about 500 rounds. HP and fmj alike. I will say it doesn't like reloads because its really tight as are most small guns. I put a pocket clip on mine and a crimson trace laser and she is perfect for summer time shorts carry. As far as rust goes I can't speak for hard chrome as I opted for parkerized. I did this because I heard a lot of people on here say there's rusted bad being blued. My parked version doesn't rust at all though.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I did a lot of research when I was looking for a small CC handgun. There are quite a few mixed reviews on the PF9 so I didn't really want to risk it. But here is a good link comparing the LC9 and the PF9. LC9 vs PF9 - YouTube

If you are looking for a small 9mm pistol the PF9 and LC9 are both good choices. If you are looking for something even smaller and don't mind a .380 I would definitely recommend the LCP.

The PF9 is about $300
    The LC9 is about $350
    The LCP is about $300

Hold all 3, test them out if possible, choose whatever you like more.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Even if you get a bad one, CS will work with you. I had to send mine back 3 times before I could get it to work consistently. I don't think they attempt to "Fix" anything. They asked for the slide\Barrel and sent back new ones. It was a bit frustrating, but CS was very polite and I eventually got a working pistol.

I have a hard chrome Keltec PF9 and like it very much. I have seen new blued model ones at gun shows go for $230 new. I hope this helps. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Well my PF9 had so many malfunctions that it became impossible to count them. It may have been a lemon but I still would not consider another Kel Tec. They are cheaply made and look like they were manufactured in a dimly lit Chinese garage.

With so many other micro 9 options out there keep shopping. There are a lot of guns better than the PF9- Berretta Nano, Ruger LC9, Sig P290, Kimber Solo, M&P Shield etc.
    The only one on that list that I liked was the Shield and I don't like to buy something when it first comes out. I did like the CW9 and the Taurus 709 but they have mixed reviews. My Taurus TCP runs without a hitch though so at least that Taurus is ok.

You could go for a PF9 that may or may not have problems. On the bright side, they have a no questions asked, lifetime warranty.

You might also consider a Kahr. They seem to function a little better than Kel-Tecs out of the box. However, the warranty is somewhat limited.

at 12 oz, its hard to not like the PF-9 for its ability to go where other guns can't.....in a full service caliber.
    Not the most fun gun to shoot, but plenty accurate and reliable if you take care of it.

Mattmann likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Another hard chrome pf9 owner here.
    Mine has been 100% as well through hundreds of rounds.
    Would recommend for a reasonably-priced, light-weight, easy to conceal piece.
    (They grow on you.)
    Last edited by Brass63; May 1st, 2012 at 04:06 PM.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

I have a hard chromed one and I carry it a lot in summer. It is very reliable with anyone who has shot it.

Very good carry option and still the thinnest 9mm I have found.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    Attached Images
    zonker1986 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links