Need some help understanding function of a cz75 p07

This is a discussion on Need some help understanding function of a cz75 p07 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have only shot this using the gun with the decocker. I am considering installing the alternate safety since all my other pistols are sweep ...

Thread: Need some help understanding function of a cz75 p07

I have only shot this using the gun with the decocker. I am considering installing the alternate safety since all my other pistols are sweep down to fire and so it's what I am used to. But I have never owned a gun like this where if I cock it now I have a SA trigger pull. Can I make it DA then SATURDAY after the first shot and still use the safety?

Could someone explain this? If I am using the safety and I want a DA first shot how do I do that? Is there a video that explains functionally how to get the hammer back into DA mode after chambering a round. I have never owned a gun like this and am looking for help to make sure I understand exactly how it works like my other guns.

For example with the safety on is the firing pin out of place so I just drop the hammer with my thumb?

I know this is a relatively stupid question but I have never owned something like this functionally with the option of decocker or safety.
    Thanks for any help.

It's not a stupid question at all.

To the best of my knowledge, with the Omega trigger system (which allows you to switch from decocker to traditional safety) if you opt for the safety, you simply lower the hammer on the round in the chamber, then your first shot is double action. The safety can not be engaged with the hammer down - same as the basic CZ-75B. Otherwise, after chambering a round, put the safety on and carry cocked and locked.

On the CZ75, there is a firing pin block which separates the hammer from the firing pin until the last part of the trigger stroke. If you examine the empty gun, watch the hammer as the trigger nears the end of its stroke, and you'll see the hammer move back a little. At the same time, look at the back of the slide and you'll see the FP block lower out of its safe position.

Lowering the hammer on a live round gives a lot of folks the heebie-jeebies. True, it carries some risks, but so does getting behind the wheel of a two-ton projectile. One simply learns how to do it correctly, and to keep the muzzle always pointed in a safe direction. When CZ-75s are run in USPSA-type competition, the stock guns fall in the Production class so they have to start with the hammer down, and competitors lower the hammer safely all the time.

Hope this helps.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    It's not a stupid question at all.

To the best of my knowledge, with the Omega trigger system (which allows you to switch from decocker to traditional safety) if you opt for the safety, you simply lower the hammer on the round in the chamber, then your first shot is double action. The safety can not be engaged with the hammer down - same as the basic CZ-75B. Otherwise, after chambering a round, put the safety on and carry cocked and locked.

On the CZ75, there is a firing pin block which separates the hammer from the firing pin until the last part of the trigger stroke. If you examine the empty gun, watch the hammer as the trigger nears the end of its stroke, and you'll see the hammer move back a little. At the same time, look at the back of the slide and you'll see the FP block lower out of its safe position.

Lowering the hammer on a live round gives a lot of folks the heebie-jeebies. True, it carries some risks, but so does getting behind the wheel of a two-ton projectile. One simply learns how to do it correctly, and to keep the muzzle always pointed in a safe direction. When CZ-75s are run in USPSA-type competition, the stock guns fall in the Production class so they have to start with the hammer down, and competitors lower the hammer safely all the time.

Hope this helps.
    This pretty much covers it.

If I'm lowering the hammer on a gun, other than a decocker model, I keep my thumb between the hammer and the firing pin while lowering it. That way if the hammer slips from my hand, it hits my thumb instead of the firing pin.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks very much for your answers.

So I cannot carry it hammer down safety on da than sa is the summary I get from this.
    That's okay, cocked and locked is fine.

I have several guns of both types. I like the decocker as it does not allow for an accidental release of the safety. It is just one more item that I don't have to worry or think about. If I have to pull the gun all that I have to do is point and shoot. That is just me. You do what makes the most sense for you.

I'll probably try both ways. Thanks again.

I have a CZ-75 that I cary regularly and always with the hammer down since I'm a lefty. I am not concerned a bit about the safety of hammer down on the 75 since it has the firing pin bloc too I believe.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

I am not worried about hammer down carry, I for some reason like da first than sa with a manual safety.

I'd rather go cocked and locked with safety on than the other way just because I am so used to that flick down and shoot movement.

Sponsored Links