Glock and M&P

Glock and M&P

This is a discussion on Glock and M&P within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a S&W M&P 9 full size and I only have the one gun and I plan on getting another but is it stupid ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By southchatham

Thread: Glock and M&P

Glock and M&P

I have a S&W M&P 9 full size and I only have the one gun and I plan on getting another but is it stupid to buy a similar gun for a back up gun. Not that I will be carrying both of them at the same time but just as a spare to keep at home and switch it up sometimes. I am going to set it up like my m&p but it will be a glock. I was also considering buying the same exact gun. I also want to get the shield when they come available again Thoughts?

VIP Member
    Why would it be stupid to carry an edc and a bug which both use the same magazines? I would either be carrying two M&P's, or two Glocks.
    Ram Rod and Crescentstar like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    If you aren't going to use it as a BUG, I would get another of the same. Set it up the same and there is no transition issue.

If you are just going for variety, sky is the limit. Knock yourself out and have fun.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

So the question is DO YOU need to carry two guns? If so do you need to carry two guns of the same size(size and not cal.) the weight factor will get to you after a while. Bug guns are smaller in size and weight unless you have cankles then by all means…

I carry a full size m&p and a compact. Usually the full size is on my hip, and the compact (bug) is in a sholder holster or iwb weak side. The compact accepts my fullsize mags. Same platform means muscle memory carries over. And in a bind, 3 fullsize mags and 2 compact mags, god forbid i dont have enough ammo should i ever need to use my weapon. I suggest another m&p as it is the platform you are used to, and a glock is a little different.

Then again i do have a taurus modle 85 for a bug as well. Personal preference
    Just my $.02
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

I like to keep my defensive pistols (My carry pistol and my home defense pistol) set up as close to the same as possible.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I don't plan on carrying them together just wanted something that is the same but as a spare gun that I keep at home. Also I am looking at the kel tec sub 2k that is why I was considering a glock for my spare gun. I guess I should have mentioned that in my original post.

HCF
    I like guns and a variety at that. Only do I carry more then one gun is if I'm headed somewhere rough, I will carry spare mag for edc. I do practice with the 3 I rotate for edc they travel to range together.

I agree with Mike1956. Best answer I could give and in fewer words than I could. I have carried two pistols many times, and they were the same make and same caliber. Full size and compact, compact and sub-compact, or full size and sub-compact. If you don't plan on carrying a back up, then you could go any way you wanted to. You'll just need to make a better effort learning the differences. One of the main reasons I generally stick with the same pistols in different sizes is that it cuts way down on holster costs. Many of my holsters fit all of my Glocks. Less spent on holsters, more spent on ammo.

What about the 9c instead of the Glock 26. This way you can share magazines, full size with compact. Same triggers, manual of arms, feel etc. Even parts could be swapped in an emergency.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I think your first concern should be your daily carry system, so, I'm with those who recommend having a second gun suitable for carry that operates in exactly the same way as your primary carry piece; less opportunity for Mr. Murphy to stick his nose into your emergency. Also, if you have to use your gun in self-defense, the police will keep yours for evidence. Therefore, you will need a replacement for the interim. I suggest the M&P 9c or, if your full-sized gun has the safety lever, the Shield.

As far as the Kel-Tec SU 2000, go ahead and buy it and as many mags as you think you'll need. Like the 1911, Glock magazines are readily available.

Just as an aside, I really hope Smith and Wesson offers a Shield without the safety.

Stick with M&P. Same mags so you can stock up, same parts to keep your PEB stocked with. FYI the full size and compact both use the same striker, FWIW. Also Glocks and m&Ps have different grip angles, so they will not be an exact match for you. I can shoot the hell out of my M&Ps but don't do well at all with a Glock. I think it has to do with grip angle and the fact that I have small girly-man hands which work well with the M&P but not so much the Glocks.

Yeah I think I'm gonna do the m&p 9c. Thanks for the advice

Sponsored Links