S&W Shield: NO/ Kahr PM9: NO/ Kahr CW9:NO/ Beretta Nano: NO/ but I found the best one

This is a discussion on S&W Shield: NO/ Kahr PM9: NO/ Kahr CW9:NO/ Beretta Nano: NO/ but I found the best one within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After doing my due diligence searching for info on-line for the best available single-stack 9mm on the market that fit my needs, I came home ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: S&W Shield: NO/ Kahr PM9: NO/ Kahr CW9:NO/ Beretta Nano: NO/ but I found the best one

S&W Shield: NO/ Kahr PM9: NO/ Kahr CW9:NO/ Beretta Nano: NO/ but I found the best one

After doing my due diligence searching for info on-line for the best available single-stack 9mm on the market that fit my needs, I came home with a winner today. I have posted asking for info/opinions, and appreciate what everyone had to offer, and it helped me in my search. I generally carry a Glock 26, or a GLock 19. My wife recently adopted the G26, so I wanted something more substantial than the Diamondback 380, which generally rides on my ankle or in a pocket holster from Galco, but not as hefty as the G19, or the G26. Yes, a single-stack Glock was what I wanted, but since Glock doesn't make one, that choice wasn't possible. But I wanted a full grip, but thinner. A simple 3-dot sight picture dovetalied instead of press-fit and melt off, that I didn't have to buy in the form of Night Sights, good smooth trigger with decent re-set for follow-up shots, light weight polymer frame for ease of all-day carry, decent price ($400 or less), and positive track record of performance that did not require racking a slide 500 times or shooting 200-300 rounds to "break it in".

First out of the gate for consideration was the Kahr PM9. What I didn't like: grip was too short for a full grip, leaving "dangling pinky" syndrome. The fit of the magazine base plate looks like Kahr used the wrong magazine in the gun. The U-rear and dot front site is not a simple 3-dot, which I am used to from Glock, and the front site is plastic and press-fitted into the slide,,,frequent issues of the front site literally falling off when the barrel gets hot! Trigger re-set is awful, and design of the trigger actually pinched my trigger finger while engaging. Add to all that the "200+" round break in period, along with the 50/50 results on positive performance, and I ruled out anything from Kahr. Even the CW9, whose only positive advantage over the PM9 was a longer grip. Too much money for a gun with so many issues a psychologist could retire on the therapy sessions needed to straighten it out.

Move to the Beretta Nano: Not much smaller than the GLock 26, but single stack capacity. Not gaining anything in reduced size, but losing rounds to the G26. Smaller in the grip, which left me with dangling-pinky syndrome again, and a price point of $419 took it out of consideration.

Move the S&W Shield: good performace reports so far, and met most of my wants, except for the fact that is identical in almost every way to the G26. Marginally slimmer, but virtually the same size as what I already have. Add to that a typical lever manual safety, and it's just a feature that isn't needed on a pistol designed for concealed carry, IMHO. Oh, and nobody here has one for sale. All of my info was obtained on-line from the 4 people in the Southeast that managed to buy one 4 weeks ago. My LGS said he has no idea when any more will come to him, but the price point will be over $400 whenever they come in. No thanks: I already have a Glock 26.

So what did i finally get? The Bersa BP9CC, all black. Stock pictures are attached, and I will add some more once I have put 100 rounds down-range. This beauty has everything I was looking for. Perfect ergonomics, slim, and full-grip with no dangling pinky. 3-dot sights, both front and back are dove-tailed and easily upgraded to night sights (glock rear, Sig Front). 8+1 capacity, and ships with 2 magazines (flush fit nicely with the base of the gun, take note, Kahr). Trigger is AMAZING. The re-set is about 1/8 inch from last shot, so follow-up shots are fast, trigger travel is just what I am used to from Glock and the trigger is grooved, wide, and just plain sweet. The slide release is also super-easily managed with one swipe of the thumb...unlike most of the others that take a complete re-grip and assorted small hand tools and a hammer in order to release the slide. From a tactial reload standpoint, this is HUGE!

Take down and disassembly? Duh...just match up a grooved line on the slide with the same line on the body, push out one side of the slide release and remove it, slide upper forward off of the body. Acutally easier and faster than the Glock, and people say the Glock is as easy as it gets! Finally, the price: $360.00 Some may not like the keyed safety, but it is there, not really noticable and I don't plan to use it. Also has a magazine disconnect, so if you want to shoot it without a magazine, you are out of luck. Personally, i don't have an issue with either feature, and I am sure it was an added requirement for importing it. You may also notice it is ready for tactical add-ons, ie lasers or flashlights or grenade launchers, but none of those are on my list for a CC gun.

Oh, and did I mention a full life-time warranty? It really makes me smile, and thanks to Forum comments, I found a winner that I didn't even know existed. Yes, they make this BP9CC in a duo-tone finish, not sure of the price difference, but as a GLock guy, I am partial to all-business-Black. The little beauty from Argentina can be a bit of a challenge to find in stock, but well-worth your time to take a look. Bersa is not a "major" manufacturer, so they can only make and ship so many of these gems. Only 3 of my LGS's had one in stock, and of the 3 shops only one had this one in all-black. Oh, and each and every LGS was priced within $12 of each other. Your list of wants may be different, but you will have to search quite a while to find anyone with anything bad to say about this pistol. I haven't found anyone yet, but I'm sure there will be someone who can find something negative... it is the internet after all. But no matter: as the creed goes: "This is my gun. There are many like it, but this one is MINE!"
    Attached Images
    Last edited by tooldawg99; May 1st, 2012 at 11:57 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Nice looking 9! Hope you enjoy it.

You'll need to change your signature line now.

Enjoy your new gun.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Congrats on the Bersa! Glad you let your hand decide rather than your head.
    Your story sounds similar to mine. My G17 is my pride and joy but a bit big for me to carry in the summer. Looking for a single-stack 9mm, I was set to buy a Walther PPS. Then I held it... and had to keep looking. I stumbled onto the BP9CC by pure chance as I wasn't even aware the model existed. It instantly felt like it was made for me.
    I've put about 600 rounds through it now and I carry it daily. Couldn't be happier.
    FYI - I paid $350 for the all-black new while the nickel-plated model was $25 more. Being a Glock guy, I prefer tactical blacktical as well.

congrats,nice looking pistol....

If you like it and it works for you and does not give you any trouble, enjoy it. Nice to see people thinking outside the box of the mainstream. I did the same thing searching for a single stack and ended up with a S&W 908 and it is perfect-for me. I can tell you are very happy with it. I like the black as well.

nice pick... glad to see someone who is trying to think outside the big box stuff. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

are there any reports of the safety engaging itself? that could get you killed quick.

Takedown is similar to a 1911. Nothing is as easy as the m9 to take down, xdm is very easy as is my walther p99. I find glock to be the hardest gun to break down, mainly because one, you have to pull the trigger without pulling back the slide first, potential danger, and the little tabs are very very hard and painful for me to manipulate. xd and m&p fall behind the walther in that you have to pull the trigger, unless you take the time to push down that piece in the m&p, but i'd just assume pull the trigger. the walther is similar to glock, but I have a decocker, and the tabs are much easier to manipulate. I'd stick this gun somewhere between the M&P and glock

tooldawg99: First, thanks for sharing. I really appreciate your summary of your search. Second, I'll have to take a look into the Bersa.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Hah!! The Bersa BP 9CC is one of the best single stack 9mm's to come out in a long time. About the same size as the Walther PPS and M&P Shield, its a real sleeper. I'm a Glock Fan Boy, so the trigger on the BP just makes me smile. Polyganol rifling in the barrel is something that you don't get with either the PPS or M&P, and to get it in a Kahr pistol, you have to go with at least the P series that sell for around $600, yet the BP is priced below the Kahr CW series. CW series are nice guns, but you get Kahrs funky two dot sights and no polyganol rifling and 200 round break in period. My BP was good to go right out of the box.

I prefer my Bersas with a little more Bling.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Congrats on a nice looking gun!

A little infor form a guy who has about 400 rounds down the pipe, and I got mine the 1st of March this year. Why do people who no nothing about this gun try to tell you it has a field strip problem. I keep both of my mags full all the time and I can field strip mine in ten seconds from a fully loaded gun. Pull the mag, eject the loaded round, insert the loaded mag, pull the slide back half way, this will reset the trigger, but does not load a round into the chamber, pull the trigger, drop the mag, align marks, pull the pin, slip the slide off, done.

This is surprising good shooter comming from a competive shooter, 5 colt 1911, two of which are Nation Match, and a military top gun, so i know what shoots. This is a bueatiful desgn in a carry gun, a pleasure to carry, and I give it a very high confidence rateing. My highest rate goes to a Colt 1911 but what a beast to carry. Great gun for you, congrats.

cjacob316:

regarding accidental engagement of the safety... it is an internal locking ring, which requires a factory key in order to engage. Bersa puts it on a nice keychain fob, but it must be inserted into the ring assembly and manually turned in order to engage the Safety feature. I cannot imagine any way to "accidentally" engage it without using the supplied key. The Bersa website has manuals available for additional information, but it seems a solid system to me, albeit un-necessary except in the eyes of liberal anti-gun import legislation.

I do like the key feature, and it is small and on my keyring, so if I need to drop the BP off in the trunk I can quickly engage the keyed saftey, and if someone gets there hands on it at least they can't shoot me with my own gun. So I see that as a positive, and would never carry a DAO guns with a saftey engaged anyway, the only pistols I every carried with the safty on were SA only semi autos.

Quote Originally Posted by garwha View Post
    I do like the key feature, and it is small and on my keyring, so if I need to drop the BP off in the trunk I can quickly engage the keyed saftey, and if someone gets there hands on it at least they can't shoot me with my own gun..
    That's a great thought! It never crossed my mind to engage it if I have to leave it in the car...good thinking on your part!......or was it on Bersa's part? ;)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links