Defensive Carry banner

What are the odds....Shield/ No Safety?

6K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  sellesmorris 
#1 ·
What do you think the odds are that Smith comes out with a no safety Shield next year? In the original M&P's, did they reveal both at the same time or did one follow the other....when talking safeties?

#2 ·
In business it's all about the numbers and I'm sure S&W crunched the numbers and saw data that said they would sell more shields with safety's than they would not sell because of them. I think if enough people request they will make it but I think it's going to have to be a lot of requests...

#6 ·
if you look at the pocket guns out there, most are either double action, or single action with thumb safeties, except for the xds where they have a grip and trigger safety. something tells me that every manufacturer thinks that pocket guns need extras safety devices on them. heck the pps is double action with a trigger safety

#7 ·
If S&W offers the Shield without a manual safety, I will definitely be buying one :hand2:. Until then, my Ruger LCR will fill the role of my "I'm not carrying a gun" gun. (EDC for me is a Glock 19)

#9 ·
I hear ya Orive. I just fondled one and I can't get over the safety. I left it on 3-4 times while dry firing. I also will not buy one until the do not have safety.

On a side note, I have small hands and the location of the current safety causes me to weaken my grip a lot to disengage it. It needs to be right behind the slide release.

#11 ·
"What liability though? The Glocks don't have one, the Kahrs don't have one, some others
don't have them, etc....

I'm curious.... "

Yep, even the M&P9C comes without one.

#14 ·
because of lawyers my friend, lawyers are what makes everything a pain for us. actually it's stupid judges and juries who award money in civil cases. if we couldn't sue doctors, healthcare would be cheaper, much much cheaper, if we couldn't sue gun makers, they wouldn't make it so hard to fire the gun and probably make them cheaper

some states allow victims to sue the bars for serving alcohol to someone who is visibly drunk, then allowing them to drive off. we go after the biggest fish. the crook with the gun and the drunk driver are always poor compared to the gun company and bar. no gun/alcohol, no crime.

#20 ·
Most likely they probably will not release a version without a manual safety. If you check out the BATF guidelines for their point system on handguns, the requirements to make the gun allowable have to equal a certain number, and each "feature" like mag disconnect, thumb safety, barrel length, and so forth add to that total. With small concealable handguns, due to the size, they lose points, so they have to make them up with other features like those retarded magazine disconnects and so forth.

#22 ·
I wasn't sure if the Shield was entirely US made or if parts of it were imported from Walther or Umerex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.