What are the odds....Shield/ No Safety?

This is a discussion on What are the odds....Shield/ No Safety? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you think the odds are that Smith comes out with a no safety Shield next year? In the original M&P's, did they reveal ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the odds....Shield/ No Safety?

What do you think the odds are that Smith comes out with a no safety Shield next year? In the original M&P's, did they reveal both at the same time or did one follow the other....when talking safeties?

In business it's all about the numbers and I'm sure S&W crunched the numbers and saw data that said they would sell more shields with safety's than they would not sell because of them. I think if enough people request they will make it but I think it's going to have to be a lot of requests...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    I agree with Rollo and also I think they designed the safety so that it is NOT easy to accidentally activate so that if you do not like it or want to use it, you can leave it in the off position and it will be fine. Again just my opinion. God Bless

Yes, I have a Shield. Even in pocket carry, its not gonna be activated by accident.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    If anything, it would be the other way around - release a non-safety version first (if they were going to) then release a safety version to satisfy a few states perhaps.

if you look at the pocket guns out there, most are either double action, or single action with thumb safeties, except for the xds where they have a grip and trigger safety. something tells me that every manufacturer thinks that pocket guns need extras safety devices on them. heck the pps is double action with a trigger safety

If S&W offers the Shield without a manual safety, I will definitely be buying one . Until then, my Ruger LCR will fill the role of my "I'm not carrying a gun" gun. (EDC for me is a Glock 19)
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

VIP Member
    I think it's much to do with a liability position with S&W. I think them offering a no-safety Shield is somewhere between none and zero.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I hear ya Orive. I just fondled one and I can't get over the safety. I left it on 3-4 times while dry firing. I also will not buy one until the do not have safety.

On a side note, I have small hands and the location of the current safety causes me to weaken my grip a lot to disengage it. It needs to be right behind the slide release.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I think it's much to do with a liability position with S&W. I think them offering a no-safety Shield is somewhere between none and zero.
    What liability though? The Glocks don't have one, the Kahrs don't have one, some others
    don't have them, etc....

I'm curious....

"What liability though? The Glocks don't have one, the Kahrs don't have one, some others
    don't have them, etc....

I'm curious.... "

Yep, even the M&P9C comes without one.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    S&W believes some people might try to pocket carry this pistol with no holster so they wanted a safety on it for liability.

This is what one of the design engineers said to James Yeager per James Yeager's video on YT.

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    "What liability though? The Glocks don't have one, the Kahrs don't have one, some others
    don't have them, etc....

I'm curious.... "

Yep, even the M&P9C comes without one.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooger View Post
    What liability though? The Glocks don't have one, the Kahrs don't have one, some others
    don't have them, etc....

I'm curious....

I agree, why are manufactures responsible for something stupid that a customer does. I mean if they want to pocket carry a gun without a holster covering the trigger, than that should be on the customer not the manufacture. God Bless

because of lawyers my friend, lawyers are what makes everything a pain for us. actually it's stupid judges and juries who award money in civil cases. if we couldn't sue doctors, healthcare would be cheaper, much much cheaper, if we couldn't sue gun makers, they wouldn't make it so hard to fire the gun and probably make them cheaper

some states allow victims to sue the bars for serving alcohol to someone who is visibly drunk, then allowing them to drive off. we go after the biggest fish. the crook with the gun and the drunk driver are always poor compared to the gun company and bar. no gun/alcohol, no crime.

I saw a post in another forum (S&W) where a poster called S&W and asked them what are the chances of them coming out with a non-safety version. He was told it wasn't going to happen. Take it for what it's worth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links