S&W M&P Shield - POV From A Former Kahr Guy Holding Out For An XDs

This is a discussion on S&W M&P Shield - POV From A Former Kahr Guy Holding Out For An XDs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Or at least 'was' holding out for an XDs. Like everyone else, the M&P Shield hit me by surprise - I had never heard of ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bark'n

Thread: S&W M&P Shield - POV From A Former Kahr Guy Holding Out For An XDs

Thumbs up S&W M&P Shield - POV From A Former Kahr Guy Holding Out For An XDs

Or at least 'was' holding out for an XDs.

Like everyone else, the M&P Shield hit me by surprise - I had never heard of the gun before and all of a sudden it was all over the forums one day, I had thought I missed something from months ago.

I called my local gun shop on a whim and they had just received 2 of them that morning, I said I'd be right there and showed up about 15 minutes later to check it out. My initial thoughts when seeing it were very positive, it's a great looking firearm - but then I held it. The gun had the extended magazine in it and it felt thin, and didn't feel 'right'. I wanted to like it, so I tried the trigger and that impressed me, very solid and clear 'click' to it.

But that grip... ack.

I left the shop empty handed and for the next week kept reading thread after thread about the Shield, started watching videos on it and just couldn't understand the hype... in fact this morning I almost started a thread titled 'Am I the only one that doesn't care for the Shield?'

Well, that was this morning...

at lunch time I decided to give it one more look, so I called to see if they still had one and to my surprise they did have one left. Again, I said I'd be right there to take a look at it and showed up 15 minutes later. Initial impressions were the same, but then I asked to see the flush magazine so it would compare closer to my Kahr's that I was used to (PM9 and MK9).

He grabbed the magazine out of the box and handed it to me, immediately I started feeling better about this gun - it looked stealthy, and like a thin XD at this point, which is what I wanted since my main gun is an XDM 3.8 Compact in 9mm.

Then I held it, and bam... that was it. The gun mated to my hand better, or at least more to what I had grown used to - for some reason the extra length of the grip threw me off as I had become accustomed to having my pinky hanging off the grip a little. It still felt thinner than my Kahr's but I was OK with it now.

I checked all the functions, took it down, put it together, used the safety, etc (I'm a lefty BTW) and said 'box it up please'.

I knew right then that this would have to be an extended lunch, so I went home and cleaned/lubed it then took it to the range for some shooting... 100 rounds of Winchester white box followed by a mixed box of 98 JHP HD ammo (mostly Winchester PDX in 124 and 147 grain, some +P).

I really enjoyed shooting it, not one hiccup whatsoever. Unlike my PM9 it fed reliably by hand racking every time and the magazines fit very well and dropped free. The sights are great, but more importantly I found that the Shield was good for me at point shooting as well, the gun is definitely more accurate than its owner, but I'll be happy to work on that at the range because this gun is my new carry piece after today.

I'm so glad I didn't start that thread this morning and gave it another shot. I'm still hopeful for the XDs, but this M&P Shield has filled my needs completely.

M&P Shield by N0YZE Photo, on Flickr

M&P Shield by N0YZE Photo, on Flickr

2. Remove Ads

Congrats and thanks for sharing !!! God Bless

Very nice, why the 9 over the 40?
    Fiend

I prefer 9mm, if I go bigger I get .45, which the XDs will probably be when the time comes. I can shoot 9mm more often and more of it, so I guess I feel better prepared - plus my XDM is 9mm so it's one less caliber to stock up on.

Great post! I picked up my Shield on a whim, too, and like you, am very glad I did. I'm keeping my Kahr PM9, though - there are situations where its slightly smaller size makes a diffrerence. Besides, what would I do with all of my holsters? :)

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Congrats! I love mine and looking forward to the .40 cal to show up in my area.

Size comparison between my XDM 3.8 Compact, Shield and TCP 738

XDM 9C = M&P Shield - TCP 738 by N0YZE Photo, on Flickr

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Could you imagine if S&W came out with a 45 model of the Shield before SA releases the XDs?

Great write up! And thanks for the pics! I'm loving the Shield.

Something about it that just seems better than the others. It's funny how a lot of people say "Well, you can't conceal it because it's 3/16th of inch longer than this one, or 1/8th of an inch taller than that one." Trust me, just doing the numbers you'll find they are more subjective than objective. Or at least I did.

As far as mine goes, it conceals like a champ. And so far it fits my pockets well. But then again, I don't wear skin tight teenager clothes. I wear regular men's clothes.
    Thunder71 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Ive been eyeing the shield as well. I already have the XDM 3.8 that I REALLY like, but the long handle prints like crazy. When is the XDs supposed to be out. I thought it was supposed to be out by now but I cant find anything. If I get a shield I want it in .40 to match my XDM. Of course the XDs is in .45......... Any how, nice grab man. Its an attractive piece.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
    Could you imagine if S&W came out with a 45 model of the Shield before SA releases the XDs?
    I Was at Gander Mountain last night to see if the .40 cal shield hit the shelfs in my area, and guy at the counter told me the XDS were out already? I think he was blowing smoke, because everything I've been reading is that it's still in hiding?

Oh by the way, he also told me they DID have one .40 cal Sheild in already too, but that was sold right away.

I like the extended mag but, like you, feel the flush mag is a better fit. The LGS I bought mine from had a deal of a free mag with the purchase of a new Shield. I asked the owner that, if I had a choice of what mag I wanted, it would be the flush though I would gladly take what ever he got. I really like the gun and mine, as many have already stated, has run flawlessly. Thanks for your post.
    Frank.

Links