Need some opinions on what 9mm to get for carry etc

This is a discussion on Need some opinions on what 9mm to get for carry etc within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys, Been reading a lot of posts here seems like a great community. I plan on getting a 9mm for carrying I really want ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Need some opinions on what 9mm to get for carry etc

Hi guys, Been reading a lot of posts here seems like a great community.

I plan on getting a 9mm for carrying I really want something compact and small here are some I have been looking at. I am on a $450 budget.

I just really want something that is known to be reliable, accurate (obviously it has to do with the shooter too), light and not bulky.

Beretta Nano
    Ruger LC9
    Keltec P11
    Kahr CM9
    Taurus 40S SLIM (.40 cal)

If you guys have experience with these guns or could suggest any others that might be worth checking out that would be great. Also recommendations for self defense ammo would be nice.

Thank you!

2. Remove Ads

Sorry think I posted in the wrong section :o

Hi guys, Been reading a lot of posts here seems like a great community.

I plan on getting a 9mm for carrying I really want something compact and small here are some I have been looking at. I am on a $450 budget.

I just really want something that is known to be reliable, accurate (obviously it has to do with the shooter too), light and not bulky.

Beretta Nano
    Ruger LC9
    Keltec P11
    Kahr CM9
    Taurus 40S SLIM (.40 cal)

If you guys have experience with these guns or could suggest any others that might be worth checking out that would be great. Also recommendations for self defense ammo would be nice.

Thank you!

50 bucks more you can get a glock 26; makes a fine carry gun

edit: a 1/4 inch thickness is not going to be noticeable but the extra ammo will be and fully loaded is only 22 ozs

S&W M&P Shield
    sgb likes this.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

VIP Member
    Ruger LC9 under 350 and very easy to conceal

This is probably one of the most common questions on this forum. Each individual is different but you should carry what is comfortable for you and what you can shoot well. I am not a small gun shooter so I will not tend to steer folks towards mouse guns. But I know some people have no problem and prefer the smaller handguns.

Nothing on your list is a show stopper by reputation (some might say "ixnay on the Taurus" but not me).

You can pick your friends and you can pick your guns but you cant pick your friends guns.
    ToddR likes this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I would say the nano or ruger would be the best of that lot, kahr's are sometimes ok, kel tec and taurus are not know for their high quality.
    There are some lesser known brands that would be fine also, try and hold as many guns as possible and see which one chooses you

alright guys great input I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    try and hold as many guns as possible and see which one chooses you
    ^^^ this +1

Well said sir.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kg4ghn View Post
    S&W M&P Shield
    ^^^This^^^ or M&P 9c.

Keep in mind "small" is a relative term, however, "compact" may not necessarily mean "small".
    BobRasch likes this.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Kahr CW9
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Bersa BP 9CC
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I love my Walther PPS and everything about it...but based on all the reviews and prices of the M&P Shield I would see barely any reason to recommend it to anyone now lol. Might have to pick me up a Shield soon and do some comparisons!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Maybe check out the m&p 9c?

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    sgb likes this.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    IF at all possible go to a gun shop that lets you test fire firearms. These are far and few between but if you can find one that is where you want to go. What works for me might not work for you. If we were all the same there would be one handgun, one Cartridge, One holster, one mode of carry! We are not all the same. Handgun must fit you!

Carry what you can shoot the best.
    I would keep it under 32 Ounces when fully loaded. A little lighter if possible. the heavier the firearm the more it wears on you to carry it. At least that is what I have found carrying one for most of my adult life.
    Carry the same manual of arms firearm all the times. Don't switch between Single Action and double Action Firearms. In a time of stress you may not depress a safety when you need to and not get the round off until to late.
    Carry in the same spot on your body all the time if possible. Getting use to one place on your body will become habit and drawing will become a reflex and not something you have to think about.
    Carry all the time. If it feels uncomfortable move it just a little especially on the hip or on the Ankle as position of just a 1/2 inch can go from causing pain to being very comfortable. It will take a week or so to get use to it but carry it all the time even at home.

There are books written on the subject and what gets posted on this forum only scratches the service. Read and read more but don't forget that what someone else says works great for them may not work great for you.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links