Looks like I found the right carry gun.

This is a discussion on Looks like I found the right carry gun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sadly, this took awhile. A sweet shooter, reliability, blah blah. I prefer full size to compact, but carry is a factor. I really don't worry ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 3 Post By zonker1986

Thread: Looks like I found the right carry gun.

Looks like I found the right carry gun.

Sadly, this took awhile. A sweet shooter, reliability, blah blah. I prefer full size to compact, but carry is a factor. I really don't worry about chambering. Accuracy and good ammo are the name of the game. I like well made guns that fit well. It needs to be tough. And if it looks good, so much the better. Now for the downsides.

If it ever needs to be used for defense, it is most likely gone, never to be seen again other than in a courtroom. That rules out my beloved SIGs. Other than the 238 I pocket carry, I hate the thought of losing any of them. The chambering must be available anywhere, both hardball and carry rounds. Also affordable. That rules out my M&P 357 SIG. Spendy and tough to find. I considered something in 40, but my wife will carry this as well, and recoil is a factor. So 9mm it is. At 6'5 and 220, I hide full size guns with ease. But again, my wife will also run this. So a compact of some breed fits the bill. Holster availability is a plus. Simplicity is required for my non gun nut wife, so no 1911. Since this will be no show and tell gun, I want it ugly, uglier than sin. The M&P 9c I wanted was backordered till who knows when. Reliable, compact, 9mm, holsters anywhere, expendable, and godawful ugly.

Something I will gleefully hate.

Got a Glock 19.

2. Remove Ads

Why would you want to hoard your best of the best guns because it might be taken away for a while as it saved your life?
    If my most expensive gun, the gun I knew will never fail me, I shot accurately, and I trusted completely would/could save my life without a doubt...why wouldn't you carry it?
    Because the cops might take it for a while? So what, you'd be alive, if not...it won't matter who has it.

That said, the Glock-19 is a great choice...it should be the one you carry anyway.
    kmagnuss and oneshot like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Congrats! Between my G19, Colt Gov't and Ruger SP101....I think I have all bases covered. Great gun that Glock 19 !!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I wanted a pounder, a beater that would work regardless. Something blood simple that I could trust to take care of my wife. She likes the idea of a brand she has heard of.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    comparing the cost of the gun that may save your life to the likely court costs,
    legal expenses, mental health ( possibly wether you think you need it or your
    lawyer says to do it) and lsot wages from time away from work while recovering and court apperances.

...id not deny myself $500 or so compared to the 10's of thousands gonna be departing my bank accounts.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I would rather be alive with my most expensive dependable firearm that just saved my life in the hands of LE than rely on something I am not 100% on...just sayin. No matter what brand.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Well Done on the G19! Good Choice.... I don't think you will be disappointed.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

VIP Member
    You wallet is going to hate this idea, but something that has helped my wife tremendously is getting the advantage arms .22 conversion. This allows her to practice with her own Glock and also gives confidence when shooting the smaller caliber. So far it has been superb! They are always sold out and tough to find though. I serously love Glock 19 Gen 4, they are right up with M&P as a great carry firearm.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

....you had to use your wife as an excuse to buy a Glock? Nice try, my friend....I'm not buying it.
    multistage, kmagnuss and oneshot like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

After many trips to the range and much thought my wife decided she wanted a Glock 19, its a good reliable gun and he's can drive nails with it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    ....you had to use your wife as an excuse to buy a Glock? Nice try, my friend....I'm not buying it.
    I think I might have had that coming from you.......

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If it comes down to giving up my gun to the cops or giving up my life to a BG, the gun is a gonner (or should that be the BG?).
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

This is not so much about my precious SIGs staying home as it is about finding a gun that will perform, take a pounding, get trashed, and I don't care. Also, cheaper. And very simple for my wife to run.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Very nice choice, I ended up getting the M&P 9 over the G19 but that was one of my top 2 options.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Links