USMC M9A1 Pistol

USMC M9A1 Pistol

This is a discussion on USMC M9A1 Pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...

Thread: USMC M9A1 Pistol

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar

USMC M9A1 Pistol

Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Cool review.

I thought the Marines were going to adopt a .45 acp as their new service wide pistol? What happened?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    The MEU(SOC) is probably what you're thinking about. They still use it, but only special units like Force Recon. The Marines still use the M9/M9A1 as a standard issue weapon.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Nope, ever notice that those rumors started right when the 1911 craze started back up? It was all advertising, hype and gun magazines giving themselves something to talk about. I've been in since 2005 and now when I read in the gun rags that "this will be the future weapon of the U.S. Military" I just roll my eyes.

Various 1911s got me excited when the gun rags started this up, but I noticed a complete lack of info on the mil side.

It's all about logistics. "Is the juice worth the squeeze" so to speak. Will spending millions to equip the U.S. Military with 1911s instead of M9s help turn the tide of war? No.

Will doing this even save lives? Extremely arguable; that could easily turn into a 20 page thread.

Think about the massive logistical problems you will face doing the switch...

On the ammo tech side of the house millions if not billions of 9mm's would be obsolete; across the globe we would have to sell our stores for pennies on the dollar to allied countries. Then we would have to start churning out 45 acp, probably slowing the civilian supply to a crawl and doing so at about a 2 for 1 cost ratio.

Think of the parts, mags, replacement parts, that would have to be on hand to field new weapons. Multiple manufacturers would have to chip in, as they have in the past.

A whole new training program would have to be implemented DOD wide to go from DSA to SA. Holsters would also be obsolete.

The juice, my friend, is not worth the squeeze.

I commented on your Facebook page :)

another option would be to just use .40S&W versions of the current gun. I swapped a 96D Brigadier Inox slide onto my M9 then M9A1 frame. It currently has a 357 Sig barrel, but can shoot .40 just fine.

Nevermind the long magazine. The one I keep in it only holds 15rds of .40/357.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    They still use it, but only special units like Force Recon.
    ...and the recent selection and purchase was to replace existing 1911 type sidearms, not add new to arms to the armory.

Distinguished Member
    The 1911 craze went away at some point?
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Go buy two :)

.45 acp

I currently serve in the 3rd Force Reconnaissaince Co. And use a .45 acp. Can't speak for the rest of the corps

Sponsored Links