Is a 1911 inadequate?

Is a 1911 inadequate?

This is a discussion on Is a 1911 inadequate? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Before you start on me, I am a fan of the 1911 and my Sig Ultra is part of my carry rotation.i also don't want ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Is a 1911 inadequate?

Is a 1911 inadequate?

Before you start on me, I am a fan of the 1911 and my Sig Ultra is part of my carry rotation.i also don't want to start a caliber war or hear arguments bout how .45 ACP is the only real man stopper.

But with all the unrest we are seeing in Seattle, the Sanford FL mess, the flash mobs and the retaliations that are occurring has me wandering if 7+1 in the gun and 2 spare mags is enough firepower.

With my 9mm Sig I can carry 15+1 and two spares for a total of 46 rounds. With my .40 I get 37 rounds. I know I can't stand around and go toe to toe with an armed on but it seems like either of these guns are more suited to the current state of society than the 1911 is. And as the summer bears down on us and it gets hotter I think unrest will go up so things will get worse.

So, do you think a 1911 is adequate? Or do you preferr something with more rounds?

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I like having more lead on tap, personally. But, of the three the .40 might be the better bet. You get a .4" diameter chunk of lead to chuck at 'people', and you get a lot of them.

On the other hand, I can't help but think that the reason they are designed to hold more ammo is because you need it. One of the reasons I don't personally like 9mm. .40 is a good round- as I recently found out thanks to a friend's P250C which I threatened to steal from him when he wasn't looking.

The biggest problem I can imagine with the 1911- my carry gun is a Springfield 1911-A1- is how people talk of having trouble feeding JHPs. Which is why I carry Federal Guard Dogs. No change of mis-feeding- it's and Expanding FMJ. As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing wrong with a 1911 as long as you know how to run it, and know it's not prone to malfunctions. ...And have good quality magazines.

I had a Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45ACP, and a 'full load' was 23rnds between 2 mags, which I sold to fund a new 1911 for my wife, but those funds got... appropriated for something my wife wanted to get 'for the house'.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    In a word.
    NO!

Do I carry one?
    NO.
    Would I ever lambaste anyone who did?
    NO!

Is a .380 inadequate?
    For "some" instances,
    Maybe.
    It is a personal decision.
    I live by the notion that , you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who has ever been in a firefight, and them having said "I wish I had had a smaller caliber, with less rounds".

Personal decision.
    helderberg, Bark'n and msgt/ret like this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Are you sure you meant flash mobs?
    lyz_grace likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Large crowds like that have no mind to speak of so, they follow the one making the most noise, one shot from you and the crowd will follow the ones running the fastest away from the sound of the muzzle report. My guess you won’t need the rest in the mag. Just the sight of it will most likely negate the need to fire it.

I won't lambast anyone carrying a 1911 either. And I realize that shooting the leader may send the rest scattering but it may not.

So maybe a better way to phrase this is : can you carry enough spare ammo with a 1911 to handle any situation that may come up?

This is just some of the thoughts that go through my head when deciding on which weapon to carry.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    The 1911 wasn't designed or intended to take on mobs of people single handedly. If that is the standard that is to be used to determine its competency then it is starting with a false premise and resulting in a false conclusion.

I wouldn't want to take on a mob of people with any gun single handedly. There are too many unknown variables and factors that can take place which can end your life in an instant regardless of caliber size or magazine capacity. The greatest weapon you can ever have is your mind. In the wise words of Kenny Rogers, know when to hold em' and know when to fold em'. Unlike Modern Warfare3, my health won't recover 2 seconds after I've been blasted by a wave of BGs so my best bet is to not ever get shot/injured at all in the first place.

Capacity is nice and I do carry spare mags to the point to where its probably overkill. I'm thinking, however, that if you ever find yourself in a situation and 14 rounds won't pull you out of it (gun @ capacity + spare mag) then you're in a really bad situation - one that's bad enough where extra ammo won't save you. This of course is in the context of a civilian living in modern peace times in this country.

Any handgun is inadequate in a mob situation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    MisterAvis likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

For a long, long time, people liked using revolvers. You'd imagine that 7-shot magazines would be vastly superior.
    A compromise might be to carry an extended magazine as one of the spare two. Honestly, even if I was carrying a 15-shooter, I'd be tempted to have an extended mag as spare.

The scenario where 7 isn't 'enough' is a pretty scary scenario!
    The only acceptable long-term outcome is to find a cure. It's an actual solution, requiring forward-thinking efforts.

Until then, we're just arguing about who's pushing who.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Before you start on me, I am a fan of the 1911 and my Sig Ultra is part of my carry rotation.i also don't want to start a caliber war or hear arguments bout how .45 ACP is the only real man stopper.

But with all the unrest we are seeing in Seattle, the Sanford FL mess, the flash mobs and the retaliations that are occurring has me wandering if 7+1 in the gun and 2 spare mags is enough firepower.

With my 9mm Sig I can carry 15+1 and two spares for a total of 46 rounds. With my .40 I get 37 rounds. I know I can't stand around and go toe to toe with an armed on but it seems like either of these guns are more suited to the current state of society than the 1911 is. And as the summer bears down on us and it gets hotter I think unrest will go up so things will get worse.

So, do you think a 1911 is adequate? Or do you preferr something with more rounds?
    Are you really concerned about whether you have 24 rounds or 45 rounds for a firefight? Sir, if you exchange 24 rounds (or more) you *are not* in a self defense shooting - you are in a running gun battle!

FWIW, I don't think that you will find yourself in a state of "civil unrest" in August that would require 40+ rounds....

Relax. Go get some ice cream, and enjoy the day.

The truth is all handguns are inadequate. A .223 expanding bullet in an AR will out perform the best handguns. We carry these because we can. As handguns go however a good modern expanding 45 acp is hard to beat as a practical carry round. I have owned 5 1911, but now carry a 9mm. The best 9mm rounds today offer respectable power in smaller lighter weapons, and to me size matter. If you are comfortable with the 1911 and can carry a couple of spare mags you are better gunned than most of us, but don't go thinking your toting serious fire power, it really isn't there in any pistol, but is way better than unarmed.
    PM513 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Is a 1911 inadequate?

only when you take away the 1st digit.

------------------with the advent of our government allowing flash mobs and the like,
    carry a secondary like a j-frame in your off side pocket such that you can 'get them off of you'
    if they do in fact go against you. upside is you are not displaying to esculate--
    only at the last moment will 'they' know something is not going as they planned.

than its for you to access your primary. so you have 5 plus 8 or 9 rounds with a 1911 or 5+?16 with a glock style.
    2 things happen--they run before you run out of ammo or you take more with you with the larger capacity gun.
    ---------------------
    a few press reports depicting the police putting 18 or so little numbers on the ground by the brass casings and listing the 14 dead and 9 wonuded might
    help put an end to this PC nonsense of not reporting what these animinals are doing.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

My grandfather was able to fight off hoards of angry Germans with a 1911, I would suspect it will serve me just fine in my civilian life.
    goldshellback, JDW and msgt/ret like this.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Don't know whether it's adequate or not but it's what I have always carried. I'm comfortable and efficient with it. I believe I'll continue as before.

Perhaps instead of asking if the 1911 is "inadequate," it would be better to ask if it is optimal. My answer to both questions is "no."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links